Mi-8MTV2 Magnificent Eight help with vertical takeoff

Hi all

Im having trouble doing a vertical take off with the MI-8. Ive flown the huey a few times and can do vertical take off no probs but with the MI-8 I can get it off the ground but it seems to go forward like a fixed wing before it takes off? Am i doing something wrong?

It seems to travel forwards before take off

Thanks in advance

Help need with vertical take off with the MI-8

Hi all

Im having trouble doing a vertical take off with the MI-8. Ive flown the huey a few times and can do vertical take off no probs but with the MI-8 I can get it off the ground but it seems to go forward like a fixed wing before it takes off? Am i doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance

Pull the Stick a bit backwards AND to the right.

Optionaly I use the Trimmer to hold this Position of the Stick.

Push the right Pedal a bit, when you raise the collective.

System Specs: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, RX 6900 XT, 64GB RAM // Tobsen CM Kollektiv, VPC CM3 Throttle, VPC WarBRD Rudder Pedals, VPC T-50 CM2 + WarBRD Base  VR: HP Reverb G2

Helis: UH-1H / KA-50 3 / Mi-8 / Mi-24P / SA-342 / AH-64D  Jets: F-5E / F-14A/B / F/A-18C / MC-2000 / A-10C II / AV-8B / AJS 37 / MIG-21bis  / F-16C / F-15E / F-4E (soon)  WWII: Spitfire / WWII Assets Pack

Tech.: Combined Arms / NS430 / Supercarrier   Maps:  Nevada / Persian Gulf / Normandie / Syria / South Atlantic  Waiting for:  BO-105 / OH 58D / CH-47 Chinook / G.91R / Tornado IDS / A-7E Corsair II

many thanks do you know what the keyboard shortcut key is for that? I tried an instant mission with engines on but this is where its happening. I raise the collective bit by bit but the copter just moves forward not up?

Edited by itye1970

As mentioned pitch stabilization is essential with the MI-8. Also trim the cyclic slightly back and slightly right before take off.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

Hi all

Thanks in advance

Made this for you hope it helps

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I personally wouldn't recommend trimming at takeoff, simply because if you always start with neutral trim then you'll start off with the controls in the same place every time; but that's my preference.

Either way though, the way to lift in a helo is to SLOWLY raise the collective while rocking the collective (gently) forward/back, left/right (and pedals) to feel for the point where the helo will lift straight into the air.

Oh and the Mi-8 won't necessarily hover level with the horizon; this is normal, but can provide a bit of an illusion.

Perhaps a video or track of your method would be useful. I can't imagine not trimming to take off vertically. Or not trimming to come to a hover:huh:

No problem, I've attached a track to this thread. It's a quick circuit, no trimming at any point.

One thing I noticed when doing this, using the quick free flight mission, is that the wind is coming from behind you at the start. This will of course make the tendency to drift forward all that much stronger.

Helicopters can hover, but they should always be pointed into wind for takeoff and landing; it's easier and safer. Easy to forget when simming though.

mi8.trk

I guess the trk is corrupt, you took off,got clear of airport buildings, touched ground 3 times and then lost your rotor blades in a banking turn too close to the water:megalol:

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]