Its 2013 ... Really!!! Is that all???? DCS Performance

Nume Noctre

Is EDGE just for terrain? Because that is not the issue when it comes to the poor performance of DCS. From what I have experienced the problem is all the ground/air units moving around. When I am flying all alone or with one or two other aircraft in the sky the performance is excellent.

But when I start to add a handful of ground or air units, my framerates are nearly cut in half when I look in the general vicinity of those units, even if I am physically too far away to even see them. I made one simple mission with 4 tanks spawning when my aircraft enters a trigger zone. From 25nm away, when the 4 tanks spawn, my entire rig freezes for about a second, and then after that I experience slow but decent framerates.

However in any of the campaign or single missions, the performance is awful, averaging in the mid 20s with frequent dips into the single digits.

• ED Team

It should help....

What are the benefits to EDGE?

· EDGE allows for Direct X 11 support

· Dynamic shadowing of the terrain and mountains

· Clipmap support

· Higher object count

· Higher resolution ground terrain mesh

· More detailed tree models

· High resolution road textures

· Ability for road signs and light signals

· Additional ground clutter (rocks, cactuses, etc.)

Is EDGE just for terrain? Because that is not the issue when it comes to the poor performance of DCS. From what I have experienced the problem is all the ground/air units moving around. When I am flying all alone or with one or two other aircraft in the sky the performance is excellent.

But when I start to add a handful of ground or air units, my framerates are nearly cut in half when I look in the general vicinity of those units, even if I am physically too far away to even see them. I made one simple mission with 4 tanks spawning when my aircraft enters a trigger zone. From 25nm away, when the 4 tanks spawn, my entire rig freezes for about a second, and then after that I experience slow but decent framerates.

However in any of the campaign or single missions, the performance is awful, averaging in the mid 20s with frequent dips into the single digits.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

EDGE is a IMAGE RENDERING ENGINE... not just for terrain.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Hi folks,

How can that be? What am i doing wrong? Can you guys help me out? :helpsmilie:

My Game Settings:

- 1920 x 1080

- everything maxed out (no mirrors)

- MDF resolution 1024

- 4x MSAA

- low CIV traffic

- no changes over GPU driver whatsoever

My Rig:

- CPU: Intel 3570K @ 4.5 Ghz

- GPU: EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2GB - OCed to 1280 Mhz Boost Clock

- Samsung 830 Pro SSD

- Win 7 64 bit

- all the latest Updates and Nvida drivers (no beta)

It would be great if you could give me some good advice....

Thx for your help! :smartass::thumbup:

Nume

IMHO your main problem with performance is highlighted in red above. Maxing out your settings is begging for poor performance.

You need to balance graphics settings with good performance in mind regardless of how strong a rig you have. This is a complex combat sim and it is very cpu intensive.

Have reasonable expectations and you should not be disappointed with the performance of DCSW. It is visually impressive with even modest to midrange graphics settings.

Best of luck

~Out

Edited by PoleCat
  • Like 1

1024 MFDs as well, as MAV/TGP are separate viewports. so the game is rendering 3 things at the same time.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

The higher object count seems to be what's killing my machine as it is. With EDGE will the rendering be done such that such high object counts don't crash things?

I'm curious to know what changes were made between FC2 and DCS World in terms of handling units/objects, because I could play FC2 on the crappiest of computers and still have decent framerates.

You know guys,

i starting flight simming with the good old "US Navy Fighters". When i saw those planes flying on the computer screen i was hooked up immediately. Ever since i upgraded my gaming rig to match the evolution of power hungry flight sims. (Do you remember EF 2000 by DID? It was a beast at its time...)

Ever since it seemed the good old times of the US Navy planes have died with the "Microprose Fleet Defender". These days i am absolutely thrilled about the fact that there will be a DCS Module with the F-18 Hornet.....

But now, that i know it will be based on the same old DCS Engine, it just makes me cry..... No rig will ever be able to play it smoothly it whatever situation.Knowing that there will never be that feeling, where you dont have to worry about your rig, simply enjoying the "simulated freedom of flight"....:cry:

Sorry, i am getting a bit pathetical here, but it really is a pitty....

That sucks....

USNF.jpg.4d435f0a1ec410ab8e638f9239f5cb3d.jpg

FleetD.jpg.811db016f63939ffd5c761eda5926b57.jpg

ef2000.gif.f7eeb018c99d7338124e0e5368201d06.gif

1595204175_MarineFighters.jpg.72e008d5e9815b608ed7e0101b1ca557.jpg

IAF.jpg.eae398ec48782d6ead43401c9848dba4.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Check out my channel

I tried playing with the settings,

but to be honest, changing from 8x MSAA to 4XMSAA and back did not change anything. Changing from MDF 256 to 1024 and back did not change anything.

I have to agree to NEALIUS, that i feel the most impact with more units in the world. Flying over an empty landscape even in thunderstorms / rains / clouds gets significantly more FPS.

Nume

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Check out my channel

Been there and played those:music_whistling:, My Specs are listed below and with just a few adjustments to my Max fps and the use of the EMC .I get a steady 40/60 fps :thumbup:

{Not blowing my own horn}.:megalol: Well just a lil..tweak DCS and she will run just fine..:joystick:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] SMOKE'M:smoke: IF YA GOT'M!:gun_rifle:

H2o Cooler I7 9700k GA 390x MB Win 10 pro

Evga RTX 2070 8Gig DD5

32 Gig Corsair Vengence, 2T SSD.

TM.Warthog:joystick: :punk:, CV-1:matrix:,3x23" monitors, Tm MFD's, Saitek pro rudders wrapped up in 2 sheets of plywood:megalol:

My programming skills... hm... in the best of my days, I edited Battle Isle maps in hex code without a map editor by reverse engineering every hex value in a map file... no, don't have no programming skills... dude, I would have a much more powerfull rig if I had such skillz, ya know... :D

Map editing, even if it is done in hex, has nothing to do with programming. You could just as well call a waitress a programmer because she's good at crunching bills in her head.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

• ED Team
The higher object count seems to be what's killing my machine as it is. With EDGE will the rendering be done such that such high object counts don't crash things?

I'm curious to know what changes were made between FC2 and DCS World in terms of handling units/objects, because I could play FC2 on the crappiest of computers and still have decent framerates.

My guess would be that if higher object count causes issues now and they say that with EDGE we can have higher object counts than we have now, then it probably means higher object counts will run better on your machine with EDGE...

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Been there and played those:music_whistling:, My Specs are listed below and with just a few adjustments to my Max fps and the use of the EMC .I get a steady 40/60 fps :thumbup:

{Not blowing my own horn}.:megalol: Well just a lil..tweak DCS and she will run just fine..:joystick:

That sounds great. Could you enlighten me what little tweaks you used to get a smooth experience?

Thx for your help:thumbup:

Nume

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Check out my channel

but to be honest, changing from 8x MSAA to 4XMSAA and back did not change anything. Changing from MDF 256 to 1024 and back did not change anything.

Arbitrarily choosing two options won't get you far, you need to try out more settings to find out what is holding you back ATM, adjust that then move on from there and play with other features. It takes a little experience to know what graphic features don't hold your particular machine back at all and what brings it to its knees. This also depends strongly on the circumstances under which you test. For a good MP experience, you might have to sacrifice a little more graphic quality to have smooth FPS.

Edited by sobek

Come let's eat grandpa!

the Original GFX Engine was written before we had Compute Units with Shader Processors...

(ie my 8800/9800 series eVGA Cards had the separate GPU Blocks for Geometry and Shader processing and separate clocks. Now everything is unified.

So... re-writing the engine (as they are doing with edge) to use the hardware we have today... will prolly fix a lot of GPU related slow downs

that and it's OLD...

Map editing, even if it is done in hex, has nothing to do with programming. You could just as well call a waitress a programmer because she's good at crunching bills in her head.

Have you read my entire reply? I clearly stated I have no programming skillz... :doh:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

...the few, the proud, the remaining...

I tried playing with the settings,

Nume

Those are not the setting I would be altering.

Try,

Water settings to Medium or low

Visib Range to medium or low

Shadows to medium or low

I suggest you experiment and find the best combination of settings for these options.

These should have a significant impact on performance.

Out

Have you read my entire reply? I clearly stated I have no programming skillz... :doh:

Sorry, i thought you were being sarcastic.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Some Hard Numbers !

Those are not the setting I would be altering.

Try,

Water settings to Medium or low

Visib Range to medium or low

Shadows to medium or low

I suggest you experiment and find the best combination of settings for these options.

These should have a significant impact on performance.

Out

Guys,

here are some hard numbers. I just ran a little benchmark run. I silmply started an instant mission with the Su-25 in "Ground Attack" and took the FPS readouts with the MDF on and off. No controller inputs, except slewing the TGP cursor a bit down to see land in the MDF. See my inital settings below.

Results:

Initial Settings:

MDF Off: 37

MDF On: 28

Change from 16xQ AA to 2xAA:

MDF Off: 41 (+10,8%)

MDF On: 30 (+ 7,14%)

Another Change from 1024 MDF Res. to 256 MDF Res.:

MDF Off: 41 (+/- 0%)

MDF On: 30 (+/- 0%)

Another Change from High Shadows to Low Shadows:

What can we see? Expect a little more FPS through going down from 16xQ AA to 2xAA any other graphical setting did not seem to have the slightest input.

I even changend everthing in the settings to low (looks horrible) and the results were a mere:

MDF Off: 53 (+/- 29,27%)

MDF On: 34 (+/- 13,33%)

It seems the FPS problem is not really related to graphics..... What do think? Do you got something else you consider worth trying to improve the FPS?

Nume

High.thumb.jpg.953243086abbb208fb629a7741c1dd14.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Check out my channel

Guys,

here are some hard numbers. I just ran a little benchmark run. I silmply started an instant mission with the Su-25 in "Ground Attack" and took the FPS readouts with the MDF on and off. No controller inputs, except slewing the TGP cursor a bit down to see land in the MDF. See my inital settings below.

Results:

Initial Settings:

MDF Off: 37

MDF On: 28

Change from 16xQ AA to 2xAA:

MDF Off: 41 (+10,8%)

MDF On: 30 (+ 7,14%)

Another Change from 1024 MDF Res. to 256 MDF Res.:

Another Change from High Shadows to Low Shadows:

What can we see? Expect a little more FPS through going down from 16xQ AA to 2xAA any other graphical setting did not seem to have the slightest input.

I even changend everthing in the settings to low (looks horrible) and the results were a mere:

MDF Off: 53 (+/- 29,27%)

MDF On: 34 (+/- 13,33%)

It seems the FPS problem is not really related to graphics..... What do think? Do you got something else you consider worth trying to improve the FPS?

Nume

have i been talking to myself?

the Engine uses only 2 Threads.... 1 for Sound. and 1 for EVERYTHING else.

you can only push so much stuff at once through a single thread.

All the Aircraft's systems. AI Aircraft's Systems... AI Logic... AI Control over other units.. Physics.. etc etc etc..

There's still a pretty crippling set of Smoke Emitters... Which are all over the map (Chimney smoke, etc).

My Biggest FPS Gains were from Overclocking to 5.0+Ghz and Disabling via the mod the Chimney Smoke.