The New Nvidia 1180 card

Nvidia announced it's 1180 card. Is this the "Volta" chipset everyone was saying would make DCS run much better? That's not what they list the chipset name as. The speculation says $699 for the card, do you think it will be close to that?

Nvidia announced it's 1180 card. Is this the "Volta" chipset everyone was saying would make DCS run much better? That's not what they list the chipset name as. The speculation says $699 for the card, do you think it will be close to that?

I honestly reckon closer to 1k Mark. Considering the cost of the 1080ti at the moment aswell as the demand.

I'm hoping I'm wrong as I will be buying one ;)

Water cooled i9-9900K | Maximus Code XI MB | RTX3090  | 64GB | HP Reverb G2 

One way of looking at it is, it costs what it costs...

If you're buying a brand-new Ferrari, what difference does it make if it's $250,000 or $375,000, or for that matter, $500,000?

The 1180 is gonna be fast as all heck, and for a video game device, it's gonna be expensive as all heck :D

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

No official date, but the 2 or 3 tech websites I trust, who really follow nVidia news (and were right about everything so far regarding the new GPU), all claim that a July/August release is pretty solid. This is based on a number of factors, from the memory purchases/allocations from nVidia, to info they get from those working on the "line" building the cards.

Price is one thing I do wonder about - they've said it's likely to have a similar MSRP to the 1080 when it came out, but what's going to happen when all the crypto-tards start snapping up supplies. I'm hoping nVidia does direct sales limited to 1 or 2 cards (I always need 6 as we have 3 gaming stations in our home, all with SLI), in order to prevent market conditions erupting into the current and recent past nonsense.

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

This is hilarious :lol:

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1180-ti-specs-benchmarks-leaked-gt102-turing-gpu-with-10752-cuda-cores-2-5ghz-clock-titan-crushing-performance/

“NVIDIA is introducing a brand new service called Elite GeForce Experienc. The service costs $69 a month and users are required to sign up for a year before they can purchase a GTX 1180 Ti. To activate your subscription you’re required to attend a two week hardware re-education course at NVIDIA’s headquarters in Santa Clara California, as well as take a full biometric scan and provide a DNA sample. As soon as your subscription expires your GTX 1180 Ti will be deactivated and you will need to renew your subscription and ship another DNA sample to NVIDIA to have your subscription re-verified”

(April Fools)

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

If you're buying a brand-new Ferrari, what difference does it make if it's $250,000 or $375,000, or for that matter, $500,000?

The 1180 is gonna be fast as all heck, and for a video game device, it's gonna be expensive as all heck :D

AD

I expect it to be costly. But I consider $700 for a cards MSRP to be insane honestly. That's what I paid for my entire computer minus the video card and it's a very good machine. In the end, I know I'll be justifying the cost of the new card somehow, because I know I'll end up buying it. My video card was $250 and it plays this and everything else fine. But a 1080ti or maybe the 1180 would probably be amazing.

1180s wont do any good for mining IMO. They will be too expensive to be effective. 1070 is the best for mining. anything above that isnt cost effective.
Well then the next question is 1080 still good investment in the next 2 years?

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

If for mining YES.

If for gaming NO.

For gaming wait for the 1180. Its going to be a huge leap forward in terms of performance.

As soon as the 1180 is out, the previous cards will become obselete.

1080*Ti* is worth the investment (if you can get it at MSRP and not mining driven costs). The jump from 1080Ti to 1180 is around 15-20%, I thought?

The jump form 1080 (not Ti) would be much bigger, obviously.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Video cards are not investments. It will have a negative return on "investment" the moment you open the box.

You should wait to purchase a video card until the 1180 comes out.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Dear Cryptominers...

Buy the 1180s and leave the 1080ti's alone...

Unfortunately 1080 is not used in crypto. Actually is not worthing at all in crypto. Things are completely different with 1080TI, becasue of its faster memories,so that is one of the most wanted GPUs.

I do feel that 1180 might be hardware locked for crypto... gamers market is in agony and they can squeeze a lot of money from that. A price of 700 $ is a fair price for such performances. I know it can be very expensive for some of us, still if performances are as they were revealed then is worthing.

I also hope crypto dies... and hope to happen soon. Blockchain technology is a very fine concept and can be used to a lot of usefull things. Cryptocurency however is the worst application that only sick people could think of (I refer to founders here ;) )...

Romanian Community for DCS World

HW Specs: AMD 7900X, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, HOTAS Virpil, MFG, CLS-E, custom

Video cards are not investments. It will have a negative return on "investment" the moment you open the box.

YESSSSS! I'm glad someone gets it! Things you buy for your own consumption, enjoyment/distraction, and/or general use are not investments, they're expenditures!

A little off-topic but I'm glad someone brought this up. It's always lame (mildly amusing, but still annoyingly LAME) when people talk about "investing" in a new TV, car, sofa, dishwasher etc. etc. etc. :)

A video card for your gaming rig is the LAST thing you'd ever wanna be caught being dumb enough to call an investment--and at today's prices for the fool ass things, it's pretty much the same for crypto miners :) hehehehehe

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

I expect it to be costly. But I consider $700 for a cards MSRP to be insane honestly....

What I find insane is that 1070 for which I paid around 450$ a year ago now is in about the 650$ price range.

Frankly speaking unless something is done with this insanely ballooned prices of GPU's I could not care less about any new releases. There has to be a limit of being reasonable and throwing away the money.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

I'll likely be jumping on this...and them jumping to the 1180Ti as soon as that releases:D

It's a never ending quest to run faster, smoother and at higher resolutions lol

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Carrier Strike Group One(CSG-1) Discord

If Nvidia and AMD do not take measures, there will be a decline in the sales of PC hardwares in general because of the overprices. They have to hardware lock the mining..

PC: i7-13700K - MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X Trio - 32GB DDR5 6200 - VPC MongoosT-50CM3 - VKB GF pro - MFG Crosswind - Msi MPG321UR-QD + Acer XB271HU - TrackIR5 - Rift S

If Nvidia and AMD do not take measures, there will be a decline in the sales of PC hardwares in general because of the overprices. They have to hardware lock the mining..

While I certainly agree it would be great if Nvidia put a hardware lock on the cards so they could not be used for mining! Mining is killing prices for all of us and I hope they do it. But I'm not sure they will as I'm not sure sales will go down until the Crypto bubble burst(which is hopefully really soon lol). I think cards are selling better than ever right now and I don't think they will do anything to limit it. In fact I think they're going to use it as an opportunity to creep prices up. GTX 1080 hit the market at $599...looks like they are estimating 1180 to come in around $699(which I'll still happily pay) I just hope we can get ahold of them.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Carrier Strike Group One(CSG-1) Discord

What I find insane is that 1070 for which I paid around 450$ a year ago now is in about the 650$ price range.

Frankly speaking unless something is done with this insanely ballooned prices of GPU's I could not care less about any new releases. There has to be a limit of being reasonable and throwing away the money.

agreed

AD

:megalol:

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

sorry but miners is "fraction" what gamers buy.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.