Radar Lock ON very hard

Cebo

Is it only me or is it very hard to get a radar lock on a target even within 5nm?

Usually I have to move back to search mode multiple times and by the time I am getting a successful lock the target is within visual range.

What is your experience?

I have similar experience.

For me, it depends on the size of the target and its flight pattern. Large aircraft TU-95 can be detected even from 40nm when they don't maneuver much and you approach them from behind so they don't "move" in the radar screen much.

OTOH if I had a Mig-15 which maneuvered, it was a little bit uneasy to lock them on 5-8nm and then keep the lock.

Maybe that the radar behaves so IRL as well?

I have same experience, so far Ive been only able to lock targets less than 5 miles out.

At the distance closer than 5 miles you have to think about other things than radar anyway, so it makes it practically useless.

In DM/DG it does not show position of enemy on hud like in manual locking so its also useless mods.

Only thing this radar is good for now is scan for better SA.

In MiG-21 last night Ive locked on F-5 at 18-19km (11 miles) without problem, which is almost maximum lock distance of the radar.

I think this may just be the limitation of the radar. While it is superior to say the MiG 21s in the sense that information is more easily interpreted and the scan zone is more forgiving, I think it is less able to make a lock on smaller contacts. Hopefully this is realistic behavior but it seems believable

While it is superior to say the MiG 21s in the sense that information is more easily interpreted

Is it possible to get the altitude of a contact with or without a lock on? Let's say I have a dash on the radar 10nm out, can I figure out there altitude?

Wasn't there a bug with locking targets? Something about only being able to attempt lock once before resetting the radar to search mode?

I seem to recall reading that, and my experiences in-game confirm that's the case. Uncertain if its a bug or feature.

Lord of Salt