DCS Carrier Discussion

Airhunter

Kind of a dark question, sorry, but what happens if you accidentally hit the deck crew when landing...or just taxiing?

In MP, I have tried to run over an enemy man pad/infantry in an unarmed humvee at full speed, and it just stopped me dead in my tracks when I hit him. The infantry was fine and I even took some damage. It is also this way when you accidentally tap a small bush in the Persian Gulf map, which has me worried. If you just tap a bush, your wing comes off if you are taxiing somewhat fast ... or at least acts as an unmovable object that completely stops your plane if you are going slower (they must be made out of adamantium lol). It should not be like that, and even tanks are unable to get past bushes.

My question...will it be the same here? i.e. since the deck crew are active models, if I mess up my landing just a little bit, will my plane just explode upon tapping a member of the crew?

Edited by MobiSev

Modules owned:

FC3, M-2000C, Mig-21bis, F-5E, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, F-14A&B, JF-17

Kind of a dark question, sorry, but what happens if you accidentally hit the deck crew when landing...or just taxiing?

My question...will it be the same here? i.e. since the deck crew are active models, if I mess up my landing just a little bit, will my plane just explode upon tapping a member of the crew?

I too have the same concerns, however, I have to mention to MobiSev, sort of tongue in cheek, that the very reason for the navy's tradition of keeping a "Greenie Board" out in view of anybody that walks by the ready room, for video taping every single landing and giving the LSO so much authority over every pilot in the groove, is to try to prevent you from "messing up your landing just a little bit" :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I just hope that the release finally fixes all the bullshit MP spawning issues for the other "carriers" in the game, Tarawa, Kuz etc. Cuz it would be nice to actually use those online.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I mean, does it really matter? You wouldn't be allowed to fly anyway, if you habitually make mincemeat out of the deck crew. Maybe they'll add screaming audio files and a manslaughter statistic in the logbook. (Please take this as the joke that it is).

In all seriousness, I think it'd be nice to have the deck crew be smart enough to avoid planes, while simultaneously being affected by them. It'll be too funny to see them fly off if you apply a little too much throttle and blast them. I'm a bad person...

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

I mean, does it really matter? You wouldn't be allowed to fly anyway, if you habitually make mincemeat out of the deck crew. Maybe they'll add screaming audio files and a manslaughter statistic in the logbook. (Please take this as the joke that it is).

In all seriousness, I think it'd be nice to have the deck crew be smart enough to avoid planes, while simultaneously being affected by them. It'll be too funny to see them fly off if you apply a little too much throttle and blast them. I'm a bad person...

I don't really mind seeing a leg or two sticking out of the engine intake wiggling frantically...:helpsmilie:

I wouldn't really expect too much out of the deck crew behavior in the initial release. I hope I'm wrong. Wouldn't that be nice to have safety officers and yellow shirts going bonkers with their gestures as soon as they recognize a potential hazard and yes, there should be plenty of punishment triggers if we do something like shoving throttles in mil. power anywhere other then in front of JBDs (the animations should include people falling and flying off the deck)

I imagine the basics will be there and if I follow my directors from a parking spot to the cat. or anywhere they want me to go... well, maybe not "anywhere":smilewink: then I'll be fine.

Guess it depends how many of the target pod and FM programmers were working on the carrier FM and target pod

The carrier damn well better have a good FM! :megalol:

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

He could have meant FM = Float Model...:music_whistling:

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

Reminds me of another major sim platform. There was a mod called drivable carrier and this thing was capable to operate on sea, air or land... That was the only option available for a while so we made the best of it.

I wonder if it's still on schedule for EA release this year.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

I am slowly starting to build up hype about this too, I actually bought Combined Arms years ago in the hope that carriers, or other ships, would become playable/steerable one day (you can already give movement orders to ships in CA). If it would require the purchase of a separate carrier module, then I would buy it.

Only catch is what ships would be playable, is the Admiral Kuznetsov still on the cards? I am more of a Su-33 + Kuznetsov guy myself.

As far as I gather, the Kuznetsov will only come later after the module's release. I don't mind waiting a bit longer, but please don't neglect the non-US side, it's not often that games allow you to play as a side other than the US so it's nice to have something different for a change.

Please give the old gal some love too! Making the current Kuznetsov model steerable for the module's release would be great. All the other carrier functions can come later.

Does anyone else think we need an EA-6B Prowler AI and updated S-3 Viking model for the new Nimitz class carriers? Would be kinda unrealistic to not have those on the deck.

I REALLY hope they update the S-3. Along with some cargo plane models, that thing has seen the years go by and needs replacing.

"These are NOT 1 to 1 replicas of the real aircraft, there are countless compromises made on each of them" - Senior ED Member

Modules - Damn near all of them (no Christian Eagle or Yak)

System - i7-12700K, 64Gig DDR4 3200 RAM, RTX-3080, 3 32" monitors at 5760 x 1080, default settings of High (minor tweaks)

Does anyone else think we need an EA-6B Prowler AI and updated S-3 Viking model for the new Nimitz class carriers? Would be kinda unrealistic to not have those on the deck.

An EA-6 would require an improvement to the ECM modeling, which is needed anyhow so it is a much have and if we get it I'd love to see an EA-3 and EB-66.

:pilotfly:

I agree with you on the S-3 Viking and the EA-6B Prowler, I also thinks a few other models need a little make over like the SH-60,C-17 to name a couple.

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.