Critique my prospective build.

I've always been an Intel guy, but the AMD seems like a good value. I'm willing to spend $$$ on a good case, cooling, and power supply. I've built a computer around the Fractal Design case, and I really like it. Looking to keep the whole thing around $2800. I'm hoping that by the time I build this in 6 months I can get an RTX 2080 Ti for what the 2060 Super costs today.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 3.9 GHz 8-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora 280 Liquid AIO

GPU Cooler: Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora 120 Liquid AIO

Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER ATX AM4

Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 CL16 Memory

Storage: Intel 660p Series 2.048 TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB Video Card

Case: Fractal Design Define R6 ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower iRGB PLUS 1200W (80+ Platinum Certified)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit

Monitor: Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor

You will appreciate a larger monitor too.

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

The new NVIDIA 30XX series is announced for when? August? Not sure about that, but you propably should purchase one of these instead of the 2080Ti within the next 6 months...

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2

case is nice

3800x is not faster than 3600x in DCS (save 100 bucks)

stock cooler 3600x does it job perfectly well (save even more)'

Asrock B450 Pro instead the overblown fake board (saves 150 bucks)

Memory 16GB 3200, if you insist on 32 GB (not needed) 3200 at least is really important or you loose a lot of performance

Use the saved money to get a faster GPU now and sell it later

PowerSupply, replace overblown fake PS with a decent PS and save a little bit more

Why not intel if DCS is your main use case?

VIC-20@1.108 MHz, onboard GPU, 5KB RAM, μυωπία goggles, Competition Pro HOTAS

Are you buying at the end of the year?

You will end with a very different system by that time.

Make no conjetures.

Ryzen 4000 or Intel Rocket Lake (intel not expected untill first of 2021 but you never knows), New graphics cards, chipsets, Samsung SSDs, faster memorys..... (better to populate only 2 slots with double sided modules and let the free space for future upgrades).

And: with that much money you could be able to add a Reverb G2 I think.

Don´t build today a future system.

Edited by Leaderface

You don't need anywhere near a 1200 watt power supply. If you want it for the look though, I get it. I have that same power supply. I'm not a fan of the Thermaltake software. It's buggy. I always get a high temp error message but it's just a software bug. As far as RAM, I would get 2x 16GB sticks so you have room to expand.

Thermaltake Core P90 Tempered Glass//Thermaltake iRGB Plus 1200W//GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS MASTER LGA 1151//i9-9900K//Thermaltake CL420 Copper Radiator//Thermaltake W4 Plus//Thermaltake 140mm Radiator Fan Triple Pack//Samsung 1TB 970 EVO NVMe M2//SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 500GB //CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 64GB 3200//GIGABYTE AORUS GeForce RTX 2080 TI//Logitech G940//Virpil MT50 Throttle//MFG Crosswind rudder pedals//Geko GSeat//Gametrix Jetseat//Htc Vive//Pimax 5k+//Viril VFX//Razer Nari Ultimate

case is nice

3800x is not faster than 3600x in DCS (save 100 bucks)

stock cooler 3600x does it job perfectly well (save even more)'

Asrock B450 Pro instead the overblown fake board (saves 150 bucks)

Memory 16GB 3200, if you insist on 32 GB (not needed) 3200 at least is really important or you loose a lot of performance

Use the saved money to get a faster GPU now and sell it later

PowerSupply, replace overblown fake PS with a decent PS and save a little bit more

Why not intel if DCS is your main use case?

Overblown fake board? I thought Gigabyte has a good rep with gamers? I recently had an awful experience with ASUS, and I swore I'd never buy their products again. I'll check out Asrock. PCIe4 seems like a good reason to get a board with a 570 chipset. Not needed in DCS?

RAM suggestion seems good. 4x4GB is better than 2x8, right? I've already heard that more interleaving = better performance, all else being equal.

Power supply: What do you like? Corsair? Coolermaster? Other?

Edited by eracer1111

The ASUS MB shure does its job, but do you really want to spend more than twice the money? And the expensive shiny motherboards does not really provide any real world advantage. If you need a feature that is only available on such a board? But which feature would that be?

VIC-20@1.108 MHz, onboard GPU, 5KB RAM, μυωπία goggles, Competition Pro HOTAS

System edit... Moved a little money around. Coming in right at $3000 right now.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 3.9 GHz 8-Core Processor ($329.00 @ Amazon)

CPU Cooler: Fractal Design Celsius+ S28 Dynamic X2 PWM 85.71 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming X ATX AM4 Motherboard

Memory: Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL15 Memory

Storage: Gigabyte AORUS NVMe Gen4 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive

Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB XC GAMING Video Card

Case: Fractal Design Define R6 ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply: Corsair RMx 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit

Monitor: Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155Hz Monitor

Edited by eracer1111

I understand. This is more a thought exercise at this point - seeing what I and gamers like you guys think are the best mid-range components to target right now. In six months some prices will come down, and other parts will become available.

You will appreciate a larger monitor too.
If you mean one bigger than 27" I'm limited by desk space. 27" is about as big as I can go.

If you mean I'll appreciate upgrading my 15" 60Hz laptop display to a 27" 155Hz monitor... Heck yeah I will!

Like I said earlier, I'll never buy another ASUS product again. I know they make quality stuff, but a recent experience with their horrendous tech support (and I mean the worst I've had in 25 years of dealing with tech support in a professional capacity) I've completely soured on them.

New motherboard ended up with a bad T3 port. After troublehooting the external drive first (understandable) they ran me around to eight different techs. I got eight different case numbers (one from each tech.) WTF??? And NONE of the cases had documentation from any of the others. Never again.

Like I said earlier, I'll never buy another ASUS product again. I know they make quality stuff, but a recent experience with their horrendous tech support (and I mean the worst I've had in 25 years of dealing with tech support in a professional capacity) I've completely soured on them.

New motherboard ended up with a bad T3 port. After troublehooting the external drive first (understandable) they ran me around to eight different techs. I got eight different case numbers (one from each tech.) WTF??? And NONE of the cases had documentation from any of the others. Never again.

This is what put me off Asus as well (bad tech support).

I used to be a big fan but a bad experience with a ZenPad 3S (abandoned product) and two Asustor storage arrays put me off them.

The large array died within 3 months of warranty and no concessions made on replacement parts prices, screwy support from the other side of the planet - time zone issues made the support process last much longer than necessary. I relearned the lesson of never use vendor encryption tools - if it wasn't for that I would have never bothered getting that unit fixed.

Second storage array died just out of warranty also so I said 'eff it' and sh!t canned it altogether instead of bothering contacting Asus. I'm back to rolling my own NAS/SAN devices.

And they don't seem that interested in after sales support RE: revised drivers, BIOS, etc. At least not across their entire product line.

RE: your build.

If you are not going to buy till the new year... don't stress too much about the specific components at this point.

In general:

Fastest, low latency RAM you can afford. Currently 3200 CL14 (14-14-14-??) and 3600 CL16 (16-16-16-3?) are the reasonable priced ones.

Fastest single core performance CPU you can get. By 2021 Ryzen 3 4XXX and Rocket Lake - re-asses then.

Mobo - just pay attention where the PCIe lanes/channels are routed so you get the connectivity/performance you want. Also pay attention to the VRM design in case you end up over clocking. Nowadays I don't really think there are any bad choices but educate yourself anyway.

Video Card: 2070 Super seems to be the expensive value proposition these days. Whatever the 2021 equivalent to that card is... I'd also look at whatever Sapphire has going on with AMD in 2021 with their Nitro+ line if you are AMD inclined.

Storage: buying new I'd do M.2 NVME 1TB or larger. SSD is ok also if you want to save a few bucks. FWIW, DCS stable + OB + lots of skins and mods (almost all ED + several free ones) takes ~600GB on my system so size accordingly.

Cooler - wait for the CPU choice.

Case - add spices to taste.

Power Supply: IMO 750-850 W is overkill and gives a certain amount of future proofing. I like the full modular power supplies that are available now.

HTH

Edited by reece146

I´m not quoting you @reece146: perfect reply on your system recomendations. (And happy to hear the actual tech quality has improved so much).

You can´t be specific at this time @eracer111: that´s true.

Having said that Myself allready before: My future system will come with a Gigabyte Mobo and a Seasonic Power suply (a platinum one), that´s for sure.

And the only thing it´s going to delay my buying decision at the end of 2020 is the approaching of DDR5, PCI 5.0 and USB4.

You probably won´t get all those three things working together until the end of 2021 and that´s too many time to wait.

I bought the 3700X instead of the 3800X because it was cheaper, draws less power so runs less hot, and is within the margin or error of FPS of the 3700X. But if you're happy with the 3800X, that's all that matters.

We have the same power supply. But I have a 2060 Super and the Lian Li LANCool II case, which is really nice. Got a lot of good reviews.

I have all the pieces, and if I can find the courage in my cup of coffee tomorrow morning, I'll start building my rig.

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

get faster RAM. I am running 32Ghz at 3600Mhz and I think I can do more if I figure out one way to prevent hot air from my GFX from reaching the RAM.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P