Problems with free access modules

marcost

Hi all,

I tried the F-14 and Viggen over the last few days of the free trial. Now that the trial has ended, when I started up DCS I got error messages about not having licences for these modules and DCS started up in the bottom quarter of my screen only, and only showing the top quarter of the main screen meaning I could not use the menus. After 3-4 restarts it started full screen. After several iterations of these false starts above, I deleted the trial modules (because each deletion requires a restart which then caused the problem again!).

To add insult to injury, I had installed these on both my stable and beta installs so had to do all of the above twice.

Is this normal? I mean, I'm grateful to try modules for free (might even get the Tomcat) but do we really have to 'clean up' the effect of free trials ourselves?

Regards,

Mac

W10 64

I7 4790k o/c to 4.6Ghz

Asus Maximus Ranger VII

24gb DDR3 RAM @ 2133

Asus Strix 1080ti OC

ASUS ROG G-sync 27" monitor

DCS on M2 drive Samsung 960 Pro

MS FFB2 with F-16 grip

CH pro throttle

MFG Crosswind pedals

TrackIR 5

3 x Bodnar button & axis boxes

but do we really have to 'clean up' the effect of free trials ourselves?

Personally i feel we should not but then the 'clean up' is rather easy, go in the module manager (main screen, top left icon) and press the delete button beside each module you've tried.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Thanks both, good to know the need to uninstall is normal at least

Regards,

Mac

W10 64

I7 4790k o/c to 4.6Ghz

Asus Maximus Ranger VII

24gb DDR3 RAM @ 2133

Asus Strix 1080ti OC

MS FFB2 with F-16 grip

CH pro throttle

MFG Crosswind pedals

TrackIR 5

(because each deletion requires a restart which then caused the problem again!).

There is a way to uninstall all in one step:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4337219&postcount=7

Yes, it is not intuitive nor properly documented on the dcs manual, but it works.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

• ED Team

Hi,

If you are using stand alone version just open the module manager go to installed tab and hit the bin icon next to the module you want to remove.

you can also use command line as mentioned above

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Hi,

Rudel - thanks for this tip, will use it next time

Bignewy - Thanks - yes I know that's what I needed to do, but one or both of the modules were causing the 'off screen' startup which meant I couldn't access the menu to delete them.

As soon as I deleted them (after many restarts to get to a usable screen), DCS started up correctly in full screen every time.

Regards,

Mac

W10 64

I7 4790k o/c to 4.6Ghz

Asus Maximus Ranger VII

24gb DDR3 RAM @ 2133

Asus Strix 1080ti OC

MS FFB2 with F-16 grip

CH pro throttle

MFG Crosswind pedals

TrackIR 5

Hi,

If you are using stand alone version just open the module manager go to installed tab and hit the bin icon next to the module you want to remove.

you can also use command line as mentioned above

thanks

It would be nice that the trash icon is a selection tick box and then at the bottom there are buttons for all the actions for the selected modules, install, uninstall, deactivate and activate.

This way person can select multiple modules and perform same tasks for each of them with one restart.

This would just make the command line use less needed, but still functional for other purposes and methods.

Like example in the launch we get a box to say that "X modules are available for installation" each time DCS is started. It is possible to install multiple modules at once, but not to perform other tasks.

ps. It would as well be nice that module manager doesn't remind each start about the not installed modules.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.