Will this controller cut it?

As a Microsoft FS-X user, I'm on the brink of purchasing the DCS A-10C module.

It's probably been asked before, but I can't be bothered to trawl the many posts here.

So, I have the Saitek Yoke system, throttle quadrant and Combat rudder pedals.

I don't want to have to get another flight controller system, so will this be ok?

Any others users here had problems with this system?

Thanks in advance.

Newbie.

MTF, it is MAN OEU VERABLE.

OP, it should work alright but forget to assign at least all HOTAS commands to the 'yoke'.

My advice is sell the yoke and buy CH products Fighterstick Pro and Pro Throttle. This is my setup. Sturdy, well made, been with me well over 2 years now, precise (for AAR), ...

The above applies if you can't afford or don't want to purchase TMWH, but if you could, then go for it..

That said, even if TMWH is in the price range of CH Products, I'll still buy CH products. Reliable, and as I said,, sturdy, well made and precise (pots).

It's just that I'm not an advocate of Saitek and frankly, CH Products is even better made IMHO, and well priced. Not to mention best customer support by all accounts, and finally, multiprogrammable.

Cheers and good luck with your endeavours.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

One thing I expect to have to do is operate the joystick with my left hand whilst operating the mouse with my right (since I'm right handed).

I normally find a yoke a lot more stable to do that task with (good job Parkinson's hasn't set in yet).

I also expect that I'll need to position my keyboard forward and slightly under the yoke to be used with equal ease by both hands.

Is this a correct assumption?

I realize that the ultimate goal would be the correct products as suggested, multiple monitors and head movement tracker....but....funds don't permit that as yet.

head movement tracker

You could look into FreeTrack or FaceTrackNOIR. It might take some handicraft work (nothing hard, really) but it's a good setup, certainly beats having no headtracking. I used FreeTrack to great effect until i got hold of a used TrackIR unit.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

I have a head tracker TIR5, its been a year now and I still dont like it, I still persevere because everyone says its the immersion so I recon its just my lame skills and that I dont have a pro clip.

In anycase, my point is you dont need a head tracker if you hav a POV hat, is there anything on the yoke?

Can I just say, I fully understand the funds, I use a Saitek X52 and have it really easily set up for A-10C - it has 6 hats when using the pinky as a mod, you only really need TMS,DMS, Coolie, Slew and POV. Buttons for Boat switch, China Hat, Gear, Airbrake, and you can pick them up cheap, perhaps see if you can get one off ebay close by within your funds.

Just seen you are in Oz - if you are patient you can pick them up on ebay cheap (Oz is a rip off for resale prices), try Amazon, just seen the X52 pro is $131US brand new.

Edited by Mr_Burns

There's a standard POV on the yoke...but it seems like one POV isn't going to cut it from what's been posted so far.

As far as using a yoke goes...it seems that there's a helluva learning curve to get even half-way proficient as a sim pilot on the A-10. I would expect that it'll take me a couple of months without having to resort to the sort of evasive maneuvers that suits a proper flight stick anyway, just to get the basics down and I'd probably just initially try combat with stuff that can't fire back.

Problem with US gear is that our Aussie dollar is suffering atm and freight prices are getting silly again. I've just ordered around $100US in gaming products and the freight increased to cost by half again to $150 and then got converted to $180AUS.

Wow...just checked out the Thrustmaster HOTAS throttle & stick at $500 locally and the Track IR 5 + and Track clip Pro bundle at $208US shipped to Australia. Over $700.00!!!

Plus printing costs for the manuals and then the software cost. Sheesh. And I'm presuming I can also still use my Saitek Combat Rudder pedals in combo.

How many of you guys have this set up?

Edited by Cellvictor
Additional thoughts.

I have a head tracker TIR5, its been a year now and I still dont like it, I still persevere because everyone says its the immersion so I recon its just my lame skills and that I dont have a pro clip.

In anycase, my point is you dont need a head tracker if you hav a POV hat, is there anything on the yoke?

Can I just say, I fully understand the funds, I use a Saitek X52 and have it really easily set up for A-10C - it has 6 hats when using the pinky as a mod, you only really need TMS,DMS, Coolie, Slew and POV. Buttons for Boat switch, China Hat, Gear, Airbrake, and you can pick them up cheap, perhaps see if you can get one off ebay close by within your funds.

Just seen you are in Oz - if you are patient you can pick them up on ebay cheap (Oz is a rip off for resale prices), try Amazon, just seen the X52 pro is $131US brand new.

Are you using te default profile? There was a really good one on ED's main website with all the other downloads (don't know if it's still there). But it was day/night difference to the stock profile.

Btw I don't have a pro lip either and it works beautifully :)

Intel i5 4670 | GTX 970 | 8 gb Ram | Windows 10

Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek Rudders | Logitech G27 | Astro A40

Cell check out the Saitek X-55 that is available to pre-order. It is an imitation of the Warthog stick design and looks like a much better alternative to the X-52 if the TM Warthog is overpriced in your country.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wow...just checked out the Thrustmaster HOTAS throttle & stick at $500 locally and the Track IR 5 + and Track clip Pro bundle at $208US shipped to Australia. Over $700.00!!!

Plus printing costs for the manuals and then the software cost. Sheesh. And I'm presuming I can also still use my Saitek Combat Rudder pedals in combo.

How many of you guys have this set up?

I've got the TMWH, TI5 and Saitek Rudders (not Combat) and it's a beautiful combination.

I'd try buy the TMWH locally just for ease of warranty. You wouldn't want to have to ship that monster anywhere! And just as well because my first unit had excess play in the right throttle which was easily and quickly exchanged.

The Gameaman is where I got mine from. They're pretty also the only game store that stock a decent amount of 'high end' game gear.

Ps sell the stuff you have and get a decent HOTAS. There's nothing wrong with flying a Cessna or 747 with a HOTAS, but you can't fly the Hog with a yolk system :-P

Edited by NhiTrac

Intel i5 4670 | GTX 970 | 8 gb Ram | Windows 10

Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek Rudders | Logitech G27 | Astro A40

Most ppl who dont like it dont have it set up correctly - either the zoom is too fast along with the Y axis, or everything is too fast. I have my speeds set down to .8, with 100% softening with almost nil to no movement from the zoom and Y axis whatsoever. These are the two axises that cause headaches and motion sickness (for me, anyways...).

• 2 years later...

Lol. Just looking over this ancient post.

Well, ended up getting the Track IR, the Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog and the Saitek combat pedals. Managed to get over the huge learning curve (for me anyway).

I have a great group that I fly with.

I am one happy A10c pilot, let me tell you.

Lol. Just looking over this ancient post.

Well, ended up getting the Track IR, the Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog and the Saitek combat pedals. Managed to get over the huge learning curve (for me anyway).

I have a great group that I fly with.

I am one happy A10c pilot, let me tell you.

congrats on ur purchase.

warthog hotas is a solid piece of hardware

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179