Helping to stop re-occuring headaches after updates

unltd

Just wanted to start a list of things that I always forget to check/re-do after a major os, mb bios, graphic driver, or application update (please add your own suggestions):

1. For Nvidia users: in manage 3d settings make sure the card is set to prefer maximum performance mode to avoid unwanted throttling. Also check refresh rates and make sure Windows is set to maximum performance in power settings. 

2. Disable indexing on all drives and make exceptions for all DCS folders and exe's in anti-virus software.

3. After updating Windows: make sure that all input devices like the G27 Wheel that some use for rudder pedals have current drivers loaded...this keeps your custom control files happy. Windows tends to lose things during major updates.

4. Be sure to check all your custom mb bios settings. Keeping the CPU at constant speed and below thermal throttling thresholds helps prevent stutters--turn off the power saving features and keep fans up high if you are overclocking.

5. Increase fan speeds on your Nvidia cards to keep them from autothrottling. (I liked 60% on my TitanXp the 3090 is much better at controlling itself)

6. Make sure your graphics card is set for msi and is not sharing an irq (not sure if this is still relevant)

7. MSI Motherboard bios settings: Settings\Advanced\PCI Subsystem Setting tab and set the “Above 4G memory / Crypto Currency mining” option to “enabled.

8. Enable re-sizable bar if your hardware supports it (mb, graphics card, windows Uefi)

9. Disable game streaming overlays in nvidia experience settings and/or uninstal nvidia experience and disable windows gamebar and enable windows game mode (less micro-stutters for me).

10. Enable no_device_hotplug = true in DCS (now in game settings)

11. Blow dust out of coolers and fans in your box regularly (more than once a year).

12. You may want to check wake turbulence is off for large engagements especially large bomber formations. (not an issue with 5950)

13. If you're a VR user, set object visibility to low (gives you back 10+ fps) while enabling all the rest of the eye candy.  

14. Disable graphics processor scaling in windows.

15. Keep an eye out for mega updates downloading in the background while playing DCS. Some software that will download in the background causing major stutters: Nvidia drivers, Oculus updates, Windows update, Adobe creative cloud.

16.  For my old 6700k setting Windows 10 to background server vs. program worked wonders for eliminating stutters along with setting DCS to low priority.  (found this trick in flight simulator 2020 hints and it works great there too).  Since upgrading to an AMD 5950x, no longer needed.

17.  Use a powered external USB hub for the G2.  Otherwise the disconnecting usb2.0 sound driver bug can cause all kinds of hell.  

18.  Adjust super sampling/pixel density/resolution in SteamVR per application settings, not in DCS...you get more granularity.

19. Force Smoothing always on in SteamVR per application settings (or disable it if you're using openxr)

20. Turn off all extra programs in MSI Dragon Center if you have to use it like me for rgb lighting control. 

Edited by unltd
Update: new information

Ryzen 5950x PBO | MSI RTX 3090 | 32gb 3600 RAM | 2 x SSD | Quest 3 | TM Warthog

• 3 years later...

F-14

Stop deleting the Walkman files! :pilotfly:

• Like 1
Intel i7 9700k, 64GB DDR4 (Corsair), Gigabyte Z390 Master, RTX 2080 Ti AMP 11gb, 500GB Sabrent Rocket (System), 1TB XPG Gammix S11 Pro M.2 (DCS), Windows 11 64-bit Pro, Samsung 49" 4K CRG9 Monitor (5120x1440), Samsung Odyssey Plus, TrackIR 5, Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas, Various streamdecks, button boxes, Logitech Pro Rudder Pedals, Corsair K95 Platinum, Iron Claw mouse.

DCS OB, F-14B Tomcat, F-18C Hornet, F-16C Viper, A-10C Warthog, F-5 Tiger II, AV-8B Harrier, P-51D Mustang, FC3, Super Carrier

Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas, (3) Cougar MFD's, Logitech Pro Rudder Pedals, (2) Stream Decks, (1) Stream Deck XL, (1) Stream Deck Mini, Misc Button Boxes

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

****update****

Download and install the modified openvr_api.dll that supports AMD FSR...really nice performance increase for VR.  There is a thread on Redit.  Hopefully, nvidia DLSS and DLAA are not far behind. https://github.com/fholger/openvr_fsr

Edited by unltd

• 6 months later...

Or if you prefer use the new openxr replacement for steamvr for the G2.  I get much smoother texture calls (less stuttering) and much clearer vr views using openxr vs steamvr + amd fsr.  FSR is available in openxr toolkit but seems to degrade textures and alias things too much.