Su-27 instruments functions (?)

Bourrinopathe

Hi,

As I'm currently learning how to fly the Su-27, I became more curious about the instruments.

Some of them are not described in the manual, even if they are on the front console and then probably quite important.

I know it's not a DCS level simulation and I don't expect a high level of detail, but I was scratching my head, thinking about those little things under my nose.

And I finally found a few things. Like these little gauges I was wondering about:

jy5ddGj.jpg

(I annotated the image in green)

I guess that indicator is for the intake mesh panels position?

iBYXKff.jpg

Could anyone confirm?

I searched for some clues in the forum first, tried to download the FC3 russian manual, and finally dug the internet with a translator and a cyrillic-latin transliteration tool.

I also wanted to know the russian name for the instruments.

Anyway, I found this interesting document about the Su-27 systems.

>>> Download page with a tiny preview (russian .doc w/ pictures/schematics) <<<

(it's ugly at first but very informative)

I was also reading the Su-27SK 'Flight Manual' (with an ugly automated translation) and it shades some light on things like these (not familiar to me):

Brief01.jpg

It's probably familiar to most of you, but if you have any information, link, post, about the main instruments for the Su-27, please feel free to share your findings.

And sorry if there's already something about the flanker's instruments somewhere in the forum. I just couldn't find any answer.

Cheers.

/// ВКБ: GF Pro MkII+MCG Pro/GF MkII+SCG L/Black Mamba MkIII/Gladiator/T-Rudder MkII | X-55 Rhino throttle/Saitek Throttle Quadrant | OpenTrack+UTC /// ZULU +4 ///

/// "THE T3ASE": i9 9900K | 64 GB DDR4 | RTX 2080ti OC | 2 TB NVMe SSDs, 1 TB SATA SSD, 12 TB HDDs | Gigabyte DESIGNARE mobo ///

Hi, maybe for you it´s easier to translate from Spanish to English.

Here is my Su-7SK Manual translated and extended for a better and more comprehensive read.

Hope this help you.

http://www.cruzdesanandres.com/material/esadocs/Manual_Su27SK.pdf

About your questions you are almost right with everything.

First Panel is the Brakes Pressure indicator for left and right channel and the air pressure indicator. Next is the Test Button of the panel and the left and right hydraulic channels indicator.

The other image is the IPK-2-02-A Intake Protector Covers Position Indicator.

Edited by Esac_mirmidon
  • Like 1

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

I guess that indicator is for the intake mesh panels position?

iBYXKff.jpg

Could anyone confirm?

No the illustration is incorrect - don't know where the "ПАНЕЛИ" label comes from :huh: .

The real instrument is labelled: "КЛИН" (see attached image), which could be translated to "wedge".

Inside the intake ducts there is an adjustable wedge that regulates airflow to the engines. The wedge slows down the air flowing to the engines to prevent compressor surge - i.e. basically the faster you go the narrower the passage in the duct.

The instrument indicates the position of the wedge in procentage of extension - i.e. "100" meaning 100% extension, which would be in supersonic flight(in the MiG-29 its above Mach 1.5), with 0% at landing/take-off(or taxiing/engines running idle on the ground).

So the instrument has nothing to do with the position of the FOD screens.

However, in the MiG-29 the instrument has an extra indication above the "100" that reads "ВП"(see second attached image) that indicates wedge/ramp configuration when intake FOD doors are closed and air being breathed through auxilllary intakes(in the LERX) during take-off/landing.

Edited by Alfa
  • Like 1

JJ

Thanks a lot, Esac_mirmidon!

That manual is of tremendous help. So much details with photos, schematics and even videos will provide an excellent knowledge base.

And it will be easier to translate, indeed (I'm a french native speaker).

And, yes, Alfa, thanks for the correction and details. I was confused about that wedge indicator. At first I translated it from 'КЛИН' (klyn) from a screenshot I took, then did some research but I didn't find anything, except some photos.

I've only found that 'panely' label on that drawing from the manual I linked. I couldn't find it anywhere else, even if I searched for some similar indicator in different aircrafts (MiG-29, Mig-31), but they're identical (klyn).

The following intake schematic confirms the wedge is linked to a motion sensor (ДП-111Е) described > here <.

Of course I tried to test it in FC3 but it's not simulated (yet?). :smilewink:

qjPDGCh.jpg

Another instrument I was unable to find, even in the excellent manual provided by Esac_mirmidon (or I missed it), is that one (next to the SPO-15 "Beryoza"):

YMYzMp8.jpg

another similar gauge I found:

post-2860-1138047528_thumb.jpg

Maybe because it's a common instrument?

It should measure the cabin pressure differential (перепад давлен) (from -0.04 to +0.6 kg/cm²) and report the elevation (высота) (from 0 to 20 kilometres).

(with 1 kg/cm² ~= 1 bar ~= 14 psi)

(I assume the pressure differential value should increase at high altitudes and probably never decrease significantly in relation to the structural strength of the cabin?)

(not simulated in FC3) (yet? :music_whistling:)

Anyway, all those informations are very interesting and learning about the Su-27 systems is a real pleasure, thanks to Eagle Dynamics precision and cockpit fidelity.

Thanks again for your help guys! Very much appreciated!

I'll try to report back if I happen to find/learn something valuable/interesting (or probably with more questions).

And I hope that will be useful to other simmers. :thumbup:

Edited by Bourrinopathe
spelling
  • Like 1

/// ВКБ: GF Pro MkII+MCG Pro/GF MkII+SCG L/Black Mamba MkIII/Gladiator/T-Rudder MkII | X-55 Rhino throttle/Saitek Throttle Quadrant | OpenTrack+UTC /// ZULU +4 ///

/// "THE T3ASE": i9 9900K | 64 GB DDR4 | RTX 2080ti OC | 2 TB NVMe SSDs, 1 TB SATA SSD, 12 TB HDDs | Gigabyte DESIGNARE mobo ///

You are right Alpha. I was confusing the intake air flow wedges with the grid protection covers. Thanks.

The cockpit pressure indicator you are showing is a different model with the same function you can see in the manual. Please take a look at it because it has the same objective.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

This indicator shows at the upper side the altittude pressure inside cockpit sustained by the cockpit pressure system. The lower side shows the pressure difference between outside and inside cockpit.

In the manual you would find a different indicator with the same system and also a O2 indicator and a air efficience system indicator.

Su-27 cockpits are a little different in some instruments and dials taking in count versions, retrofits, manufacturers, etc.

This dial is an example.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

@ Esac_ Mirmidon,

This is a fantastic document you made!!

Downloaded the Pdf, but i can't copy paste in Google translate.

Is there any chance to have translation in English?

I think the whole community will thank you for that:)

At the moment i'm considering to make my cockpit DCS ready (if ever)

That means every switch has to work:)

My cockpit:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=21664&page=49

Your document is very helpful in this!!

Thanks in advance!

Cheers!

Wasserfall

Intel Core i5-9600K, Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO, 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 WINDFORCE 8G

Here you have an unprotected copy.

The translation work from russian to spanish was HUGE, so i don´t have brain left to do again into english ...

Su-27SK

Very nice cockpit Wasserfall. You are very talented.

Edited by Esac_mirmidon

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

English term is 'intake ramp' :)

Inside the intake ducts there is an adjustable wedge that regulates airflow to the engines. The wedge slows down the air flowing to the engines to prevent compressor surge - i.e. basically the faster you go the narrower the passage in the duct.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Here you have an unprotected copy.

The translation work from russian to spanish was HUGE, so i don´t have brain left to do again into english ...

Su-27SK

Very nice cockpit Wasserfall. You are very talented.

Thank you very much Esac!!

A huge task translating it:)

Cheers!

Intel Core i5-9600K, Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO, 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 WINDFORCE 8G

Sorry, i send again a protected PDF version.

Here is an unprotected version. Please replace the protected one.

LINK

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Holy cow !!! After seeing your mockup, Wasserfall, I'm just going to give up trying to learn the Su-27. I don't have an extra lifetime.....

oh, nice job btw; but you already knew that.

Edited by xylem

Thermaltake View 71 Snow, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master, i9-9900K Coffee Lake,8core,16 Thread,3.6 GHz, Corsair Vengeance Pro 64 GB, NZXT Kraken X72 AIO CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra Hybrid, Win 10

Holy cow !!! After seeing your mockup, Wasserfall, I'm just going to give up trying to learn the Su-27. I don't have an extra lifetime.....

oh, nice job btw; but you already knew that.

It is time consuming, but i started with the single frontpanel and made additions from time to time (say years:))

So i hope to complete it in the lifetime i still have:)

To be continued

Edited by wasserfall

@wasserfall: Impressive work! It's a really neat pit you've crafted. I wish you the best for the next steps!

It's a delight to see such great productions around, like this pit and the exceptional manual Esac edited.

I was struggling translating some russian documents and as it's not a familiar language to me, I know how hard it could be. Kudos to Esac ;) And thanks for sharing!

And thanks for the precisions about the cabin altimeter too.

And the intake ramp ;)

(I have much to learn!)

English term is 'intake ramp' :)

I know GG, but in the Luftwaffe manual describing the intake ramp system for the MiG-29, they use both "ramp" and "wedge" - i.e. that the system consists of two "ramps"(a forward and a rear) forming a "wedge".

Subsequently describing the functionality through varies flight regimes, they refer to "wedge angle" and "wedge extension" ......and the latter is exactly what the instrument in question is indicating :)

JJ

Take advantage о same topic would like your help to find out about the HOTAS of Russians fighters (SU27 and SU33 in special). I wonder what the functions of the buttons on the joystick and throttle. Thank you in advance.

I want to map my hotas alike the real fighter(su27 su33).

Edited by EAKMotorsports
Intel® Core™ i5-2500k CPU@4.20GHz 64 bit operation System Windows 10+ Pro NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 - Memory: 16.0 GB - 500gb ssd samsung - Samsung 27"SyncMaster TA550 monitors [SIZE=1][B]- [/B][/SIZE][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]TM Hotas Warthog[/SIZE][/FONT] Trackir4 - TM Rudder Pedals.

Thank you guys for the help.

Intel® Core™ i5-2500k CPU@4.20GHz 64 bit operation System Windows 10+ Pro NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 - Memory: 16.0 GB - 500gb ssd samsung - Samsung 27"SyncMaster TA550 monitors [SIZE=1][B]- [/B][/SIZE][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]TM Hotas Warthog[/SIZE][/FONT] Trackir4 - TM Rudder Pedals.

Please could anyone confirm that:

1]. the СДУ warning light (just on the lower right of the HUD) signals a СДУ-27 failure?

VMltPOb.jpg

From what I've gathered, the СДУ (SDU) is the Flight Control System (FCS) for the Su-27 (>>> SDU-10MK installed on the Su-30MK <<<)?

2]. And, by the way, is it possible that there's no information about the warning lights panel for the Su-27 in the FC3 flight manual? I didn't find anything? :huh:

I found the СДУ-27 information in the very old Flanker manual: >>> here <<<.

And other details in the Su-27 manuals from this thread.

3]. The related СAУ (SAU) would be the Automatic Control System, mainly operating the Autopilot?

(I fly the Su-27 with the russian audio warnings, thus that would explain why I'm lost with the warning lights without any reference)

(as a funny side note, I was gently pushing the Su-27 against a hangar door before going full AB to test the fuel consumption :music_whistling:

Please don't do this at home, you may break your СДУ (I was waiting for the radar/pitot tube failure) - ongoing hardcore tests :D)

The SDU is the Flight Control System and controls not only FBW in the pitch channel but also the proportional control system in all axes and control channels, SLATS, etc.

9MFWE8x.jpg

The lights numbered from 1 to 4 are different warning lights that lits when an axe or a channel from the SDU fails.

Plus the Red Warning light in the front panel. Also the EKRAN must register the failure on SAU or SDU.

The SAU is the Autopilot control System

It controls the autopilot regimes like NAV-RETURN-LANDING etc.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks for the confirmation and details. :thumbup:

(I'm still studying the docs when I can afford some time)

Another thing I was wondering about as I was reading the taxiing and takeoff procedures:

- there are two engine modes, one for combat training and one for combat.

I found the commutator/switch with the documents, next to a gauge I was also curious about.

Here's a screenshot:

8aAJ7io.jpg

1. is the engines mode selector for 'combat training' mode and 'combat' mode (switched to 'combat' in FC3)

Apparently the 'combat training' mode reduces the engine performance on full military power and afterburner (gas temperature reduced by 60°c and rpm reduced by 2,5% - I'm not 100% sure about my translation).

The FC3 cockpit miss the markings: РЕЖИМ ДВИГ (engines mode), УЧЕБНО-БОЕВОЙ (combat training) and БОЕВОЙ (combat).

I assume the engines mode selector aims at preserving the engines lifespan?

2. is the oxygen gauge (it's roughly the quantity left) (mixed with the air flow below 8000 m altitude, and pure oxygen above 8000 m). (Кислород = oxygen) (the FC3 pilot must have some great apnea skills ;) )

Edited by Bourrinopathe