What Map?

BuzzU

Probably more important than what map te Hornet will work in is what carrier will it work on? To my knowledge, the current CVN in game does not have a catapult that is usable by human players. There have been many screen shots with a nnew CVN but very little information has been released about it. I would assume that it will come bundled with the Hornet but I don't recall reading anything about that either.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I cant fly the Hornet cause in my world the Hornet only operates from highways hidden in forests in Finland...

...only joking ;)

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 10 Pro - Asus Z370 Prime A - i7-8700K @ 3.70GHz - 32 GB DDR4 - Nvidia GTX 1080 - Oculus Rift CV1 - HOTAS Warthog - CH Pro Pedals

Puukko - Kossu - HK Sininen Lenkki

Yes, but if it wasn't for the Navy we wouldn't even have the F/A-18. I'll always think of it as a Navy plane and use it that way.

The USN operates them from Naval Air Stations. Let us not mention the numerous other countries that use them and don't have carriers. Depending on the war and areas covered, I can see USN F-18s flying combat operations from a land base if required.

I cant fly the Hornet cause in my world the Hornet only operates from highways hidden in forests in Finland...

...only joking ;)

But a good point anyway. Some people think it can only be done the way the American is doing it and forget how the rest of the world are using it. Yes I know it is being used as a carrier operation aircraft and are made for it. And I´m looking forward to use it that way. But I will also be using it from a base inland as well. I´m happy both ways. :P

Don´t forget. ED is a work in progress sin ALL the time and that is awsome!

Happy flying Gents

Edited by Red Dragon-DK

Intel I7 4770K, Evga 1080 FE, win10 64Pro, 32GB ram, TracIR 5, Hotas Warthog, MFD Cougar x2, MFG Crosswind

Both

It is almost obvious that both employments are ultimate inevitable--land and sea operations. However, I must say, if recall serves me correct, the object was to match an aircraft, with both AA and AG capability, to sea operations. What ever the aircraft would have been, it had several basic criteria, that was to be able to land on a carrier and perform both AA and AG missions Note: if the F-35 was in full operation, it would be the aircraft of choice. Over time, because the #1 carrier base aircraft was the F/A 18, the spotlight shifted to the aircraft more than the operations platform. I believe that eventually we get both land base and see base operations. The true question is, which comes first--the chicken or the aircraft; Oh sorry, land base or sea base operations.

Hopefully the Straight of Hormuz map will come along for the Hornet in a decent timeframe.

I guess it could happen before the Hornet is available, who knows?

In the mean time the Caucuses should be acceptable for Carrier Ops.

They really havent said much about the SoH map. Likely because all of their time seems to be geared to the F18, righlty as it should be. I think we will see the Hornet and then a few months later the SoH map!:)

They really havent said much about the SoH map. Likely because all of their time seems to be geared to the F18, righlty as it should be. I think we will see the Hornet and then a few months later the SoH map!:)

Well, there were some updates on the SoH map progress in the weekend news including decent screenshots. Just no estimates on the release date but that is roughly true for the F/A-18 as well, right?

Anyway, doing a lot of anti-surface ops with the Viggen in the Caucasus map currently I think it is fair to say we already have a good map with huge waters already now. So I am in for the „a/c first, map second“ :smilewink:

I couldn't agree more with that Hog, as long as the new CVN comes along with the Hornet. Otherwise all that water in the Black Sea represents is a big place to ditch in! :lol:

While it won't be realistic to put a U.S. Navy carrier in the Black Sea, I agree that it will work out perfectly for flight simulation purposes. There is plenty of water and plenty of opportunities for Hornet missions. Even if a CVN isn't released with the Hornet, it is good to know that we will eventually have more than the SOH map available for carrier ops. One thing to consider though is that even the SOH could be released without a CVN. I don't think I read anywhere that a CVN was tied to the Hornet or the map and could be an independent release in itself.

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

You are probably right Brianjmac, I don't recall Wags or anyone else from ED saying that the new CVN will be tied to the release of the Hornet. It's just that if it isn't - even as a separate module - then the Hornet will be land locked until the new CVN is released. The CVN in the game now will not support human flown planes unless ED is able to put out some update that will enable the catapults and add an IFOLS, TACAN and ACLS.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The Carrier was used at E3 and had a functional arresting wire.

Dont know if the catapult was functional.

It certainly is not unusual for ED to put out a module that is not feature complete. Rather, it has become the norm. Then adding and improving as we go.

Edited by MegOhm_SD

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

The Carrier was used at E3 and had a functional arresting wire.

Dont know if the catapult was functional.

It certainly is not unusual for ED to put out a module that is not feature complete. Rather, it has become the norm. Then adding and improving as we go.

I think a lot of people like new stuff, even though it's not feature-complete.

I'd be happy with just functional traps and catapults.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]