AI in DCS

I would like to see average pilots fly more "average" I can get on the back of a 190 and I can bring her down eventually but I am finding it difficult to line my gunsight on the target with the 190 especially as she continuously rolls and of course when you get hits on the 190 and she is smoking she is still is able to climb and perform as normal. I seem to be finding it harder with recent patches. When you see gun camera footage from WW2 you see the aircraft being hit flying more or less straight and level. Dont get me wrong an excellent pilot should do this (continuous rolling) but average im not so sure. I'm sure this will be addressed in the future I think Ilya put in his DCS WW2 description something about skill levels from bumbling rookies to seasoned aces and I guess the damage model of AI aircraft will be tweaked as well.

Edited by westr

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

So I tried them a few times. I had no victories, I had a couple of prolonged fights mostly evasive in nature. My plane was crippled a couple of times, and other times just shot up a bit. With AI right on my heels at the beginning, it difficult to elude pilot Death:P. My first flight was my best against the average pilot, quickly getting behind him when he couldn't slow down.

So I tried them a few times. I had no victories, I had a couple of prolonged fights mostly evasive in nature. My plane was crippled a couple of times, and other times just shot up a bit. With AI right on my heels at the beginning, it difficult to elude pilot Death:P. My first flight was my best against the average pilot, quickly getting behind him when he couldn't slow down.

Right. Agreed. I flew the mission once on High to see how hard it was to evade knowing the bandit was lining up for his shot. I got both of them to hit the water but it took a bit of work. The initial point was to show that the AI will shoot at a very long distance with incredible results. While this is fine for simulating the best of the best, it is a bit discouraging if you are "simulating" a realistic average pilot. If he is truly an average marksman then unfortunately every one of us MP pilots are thereby classified as WAY below average in that department :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[Dogs of War] WWII COMBAT SERVER | P-51D - FW190-D9 - Me109-K4

Visit Our Website & Forum to Get More Info & Team Speak Access

Right. Agreed. I flew the mission once on High to see how hard it was to evade knowing the bandit was lining up for his shot. I got both of them to hit the water but it took a bit of work. The initial point was to show that the AI will shoot at a very long distance with incredible results. While this is fine for simulating the best of the best, it is a bit discouraging if you are "simulating" a realistic average pilot. If he is truly an average marksman then unfortunately every one of us MP pilots are thereby classified as WAY below average in that department :)

I think it's good that they fire early, lets me know early too then. I only have 1 1/2 hours with the game, so I'm not really qualified to judge them yet.

@ westr...I've been looking at the behavior of average AI as I try to learn the game better. Frankly I'm not seeing a problem with pilot average being super human, or doing death defying escape maneuvers. The good news is like AI, our ammunition is just as crippling to AI at a considerable distance...for SP I recommend to give AI the order to land as the last waypoint. If you damaged him well, he may not survive the landing attempt. If points are important to you, then this is another way to get them. :)...if you are seeing a different average AI, then post the track for me so I can see it...heavily damaged here, he just wants to get away from me

HurtHimAverage.trk

Edited by GT 5.0

@ westr...I've been looking at the behavior of average AI as I try to learn the game better. Frankly I'm not seeing a problem with pilot average being super human, or doing death defying escape maneuvers. The good news is like AI, our ammunition is just as crippling to AI at a considerable distance...for SP I recommend to give AI the order to land as the last waypoint. If you damaged him well, he may not survive the landing attempt. If points are important to you, then this is another way to get them. :)...if you see a different average AI then post the track for me so I can see it

I watched your track. Did you have enemy aircraft set to CAS instead of CAP? That would explain him flying straight and level the entire time. You should see quite a difference in the AI behavior if you switch it.

I then took a crack at your setup starting dead astern like that and attached the track. He should be in flames within seconds :holloween: If only they were all that easy.

SittingDuck.trk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[Dogs of War] WWII COMBAT SERVER | P-51D - FW190-D9 - Me109-K4

Visit Our Website & Forum to Get More Info & Team Speak Access

I watched your track. Did you have enemy aircraft set to CAS instead of CAP? That would explain him flying straight and level the entire time. You should see quite a difference in the AI behavior if you switch it.

I then took a crack at your setup starting dead astern like that and attached the track. He should be in flames within seconds :holloween: If only they were all that easy.

Hey, nothing like a little fire :P...and yea it was set at CAP, and here, I just did another quickie for you. He should have been mine but I'm a little rusty in the mornings, and I needed him to stay alive to prove it is CAP. Same MO though and he remains an easy target

HurtHimAverage2.trk

Edited by GT 5.0

Huge difference in AI behaviour if set as CAP or Fighter sweep. I had not noticed that before, enjoying a lot more success against FW190's set as CAP.

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV