F/A-18C AI Carrier Landing Pattern and Recovery

capthaltli

It would be great if we could get AI F/A-18C (and other navy aircraft) to fly a correct NATOPS carrier landing pattern at the direction of the mission editor (define waypoint: Carrier Landing).

I have been trying to build a couple carrier missions in preparation for the Hornet release, but when programming the AI to land on the carrier, they fly a pretty unique pattern :helpsmilie: that would have any LSO or Air Boss shaking their head.

Basically I've tried to create waypoints that simulate the entire pattern (altitude, shape, and speed), but when the last waypoint is listed as Landing the AI fly all over the place.

If I am doing something wrong, please let me know, but I think this limitation will inhibit mission builders incorporating carrier landings into future carrier mission.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC] "GOONIE" [/sIGPIC]

"GOONIE"

CSG-1 VFA-25

It would be great if we could get AI F/A-18C (and other navy aircraft) to fly a correct NATOPS carrier landing pattern at the direction of the mission editor (define waypoint: Carrier Landing).

If I am doing something wrong, please let me know, but I think this limitation will inhibit mission builders incorporating carrier landings into future carrier mission.

Thinking the same thing, I tried it some months ago based on the VFA stingers MOD of GW Bush US carrier, they have already done all the work for the flight pattern for a proper landing with a human pilot, unfortunately the AI pilot requires about a (6 to 9 mile or 10 to 15 km) line up for landing, not the 3/4 mile as required.

So your not doing anything wrong, the AI just isn't smart enough to lower the flaps, landing gear and set the correct AOA when programmed to the required slower speeds and altitude for landing from the abeam paddles contact point and beyond into the groove, when they near final touch down, it panics because it is to low and slow (because it hasn't put flaps down)for its liking, so it bolters before reaching the stern of the carrier.

Would be great if they modified it, yes +1 from me.

Regards, Ian.

Edited by MadDog-IC

Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, Nvidia RTX-2070 Super, Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).

DCS Tech Support.

+1

No sim has yet to really capture that 'alive' carrier feeling after the first launch. If they AI could understand how to navigate the carrier then it would go a long way to giving the feeling to the player that they are part of something bigger.

"It's amazing, even at the Formula 1 level how many drivers still think the brakes are for slowing the car down."

VF-2 Bounty Hunters

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Carrier Strike Group 1 | Discord

• 2 weeks later...

Absooutey. I’m really hoping to get a full pattern in with proper ATC and LSO.

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM

MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio

40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K

Pimax Vision 8K Plus / Oculus Rift CV1 / HTC Vive

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]