TACAN Behaviour & Hint within Flight Package

Voodooflies

Hello folks,

I'm curious about something I tried out with my leader in order to keep a good battle spread formation. I don't think it's a bug, it rather might be a good feature in a two ships package for other pilots instead, so here's the thing. Most of the time people are using TACAN either to find their homeplate or an alternate, or either to find a tanker by tuning themselves on the appropriate channel to get a range and a direction.

Well, it seems that the TACAN allows you to give you a range between you and your leader if you have 63 channels spacing between each other, however it won't give you any direction but the range. Just to make sure, is that a normal behaviour ?

Feel free to try it out :

* Leader on 02Y - A/A

* Wingman on 65Y - A/A

I tested this on Blue Flag. I may not remember the exact tuning as it was done on the fly, but it should be accurate. I was quite surprised having this feature as it can give you a good hint whether you're too far, too slow, too fast of your leader in almost BVR offensive and defensive formations such as battle spreads for instance. :smartass:

Edited by Sacha

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm surprised to learn it works. But it's a good surprise.

If it works it isn't a bug, it's a feature.

IRL it's often used as safety measure, especially with bad visibility, to prevent collision.

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

Nothing new regarding the hinter. But I didn't know, that A/A TACAN is already working in the Mirage.

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

so it only gives you range to your wingman ? nothing else ?

That's quite enough. With the range you can hold outer-group formations out of sight. And if you use it, for example, in a trail formation, you can recognize, if you close up to your leader, fall back or hold the formation.

Don't forget: You've a radar, as well.

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Bearing equipment is very heavy. Some KC-135R are fitted with the azimuth gear. There's no chance to fit it in a fighter sized airplane. The distance transponder is already built into the airplane and is needed for two-way communication for the DME part. This is the reason why you get azimuth info from a TACAN station on "receive only" but get azimuth and distance on "transmit/receive" setting.

If you look up the table of TACAN channel frequencies the pattern is easy to see why you have to be so many channels apart. Your talk and listen freqs have to be his listen and talk freqs. The "A/A" setting on the dial is to rearrange the frequencies so this is possible on X and Y band as well as generating the talks.

I did A/A TACAN test last week between me in F-5 and my friend in M2000. It works fine for both. But with the F-5 I had both distance and bearing to my friend (him only distance). So after some readings it shouldn't be possible right ?

Edited by diditopgun

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel I7 8700K / RTX 3080 / 32Go DDR4 PC21300 G.Skill Ripjaws V / MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold - 1000W / Noctua NH-D14 / Acer XB270HUDbmiprz 27" G-synch 144Hz / SSD Samsung 860EVO 250Go + 1To / Cooler Master HAF X / Warthog+VPC WarBRD / Thrustmaster TPR / Track-IR v5 + Track Clip Pro / Windows 11 64bits.