Lynx attack :)

Jockcop

Been holding off on a helicopter purchase as like the warbirds. I haven't seen anything that gave me that tingle of excitement you get when you see a new aircraft that your excited for announced. It then hit me exactly the kinda aircraft that I would wanna see.

Lynx HAS3/MK7

They have just gone out of service this year after being replaced with the Wildcat. While there is a outward similarities, in a similar vein to he Super Hornet and Hornet, the Wildcat has 95% new components and is to all extents and purposes, a brand new helicopter.

Which mean the Lynx is freed up in term of being out of service technology. As well as being incredibly light and manoeuvrable, being described as a joy to fly, they were used, especially the naval variant by a variety of counties and in many theatres. Falklands (map is coming up) Gulf war, Tanker war, Bosnia, Kosovo, Serbia, Sierra Leone, Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, and Syria.

The HAS3 (or later variants would dive us something DCS is lacking- a maritime strike helicopter ability. More naval units are being added and having a torpedo and Anti Ship missile capable helicopter would be a game changer. During the Gulf War, Sea Lynx's flying off of British frigates and destroyers, decimated the Iraqi Navy, being responsible for destroying a significant proportion of their surface fleet

I got a ride in the back of both in the AH7 and 9's while I was in the army and can attest to the fact the pilots can throw the dam things around!!

Did I also mention the Lynx still holds the worlds helicopter straight speed record :thumbup:

They biggest downside I can see is that, the HA3/HMA8 variant is that they would have to model the sonar buoys and torpedo subsequently, the submarines and I'm not sure how advanced there tech and plans for naval ship simulation is.

• Like 2

Modules- F15, F18, Spitfire, Mirage F1, Persian Gulf, Normandy 2.0, Syria, WW2 assets.

"Try to have the same number of landings as you have takeoffs"

Composite helicopters are excluded from the competition as held by the Fédération aéronautique internationale (FAI; English: The World Air Sports Federation) Its held over a measured 15/25km straight course. Still holds the record :)

• Thanks 1

Modules- F15, F18, Spitfire, Mirage F1, Persian Gulf, Normandy 2.0, Syria, WW2 assets.

Would love to see really any Lynx variant in DCS, preferably maritime, but wouldn't mind an AAC one as well.

And yes, a modified Lynx holds the fastest pure helicopter speed record. Seeing as the Sikorsky X3 and S-97 are compound helicopters they didn't count.

• Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Would love to see really any Lynx variant in DCS, preferably maritime, but wouldn't mind an AAC one as well.

And yes, a modified Lynx holds the fastest pure helicopter speed record. Seeing as the Sikorsky X3 and S-97 are compound helicopters they didn't count.

Yea, it’s definetly the naval Lynx that interests me the most but I’ll take what I can get :)

• Like 1

AFAIK RN maritime Lynx variants (HAS.2, HAS.3 and HMA.8) can carry torpedoes (which would be Sting Ray for UK), the Sea Skua AShM and the FN HMP (12.7mm gun pod). They can also be equipped with M3 12.7mm HMG for door gunners. Though I believe the HAS.2 wasn't originally fitted for Sea Skua.

The underbelly of the helicopter is modular, meaning that either hardpoints for weapons or troop steps can be 'bolted on' as it were , or they can be left blank, with the panels closed as is the case with the HAS.3 'Black Cats' Lynx pictured above.

I have seen pictures (one of them provided by Xilon_X) of an RN HAS.3 Lynx carrying the AN/ALQ-167 "Yellow Veil" ECM poda and a GEC Sandpiper FLIR turret. I've also seen images of DIRCM being carried, either the pair of Loral Challenger mounted above the cockpit, or the ALQ-147 mounted inside the helicopter with the doors open.

AFAIK RN maritime Lynx is not equipped with a dipping SONAR, however some export variants were as well as MAD systems.

At the moment the Lynx HAS.3 gets my vote, I would prefer the HMA.8 (and/or the HMA.8), but I fear there are systems that are classified in spite of it being replaced by the AW159.

As for AAC Lynx, I'd quite like to see the AH.5, AH.7 and/or the AH.9

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

The Lynx is a fully aerobatic helicopter with the ability to perform loops and rolls.In 1986, a specially modified Lynx set the current Fédération Aéronautique Internationale's official airspeed record for helicopters (category excludes compound helicopters) at 400.87 km/h (249.09 mph),which remains unbroken as of 2017.

The record Lynx

The Lynx has been a very popular helicopter for its flight performance since the past. Already in 1972 he obtained 2 speed records, both achieved by means of the Mk.1 model;

On 20 June, it maintained 321.74 km / h (199.9 mph ) along a 15 km route to Yeovil ( UK ).

On 22 June he maintained 318.50 km / h (197.8 mph) along a 100 km run at Princes Place, Dorset (UK).

On 11 August 1984, he flew for 15 km at a speed of 400.9 km / h (249.1 mph) beating every record and maintaining the same record for a full 24 years. Only on 15 September 2010, the Sikorsky X2 prototype reached 463 km / h (287, 6 mph), beating the Lynx on speed.

AFAIK RN maritime Lynx variants (HAS.2, HAS.3 and HMA.8) can carry torpedoes (which would be Sting Ray for UK), the Sea Skua AShM and the FN HMP (12.7mm gun pod). They can also be equipped with M3 12.7mm HMG for door gunners. Though I believe the HAS.2 wasn't originally fitted for Sea Skua.

The underbelly of the helicopter is modular, meaning that either hardpoints for weapons or troop steps can be 'bolted on' as it were , or they can be left blank, with the panels closed as is the case with the HAS.3 'Black Cats' Lynx pictured above.

I have seen pictures (one of them provided by Xilon_X) of an RN HAS.3 Lynx carrying the AN/ALQ-167 "Yellow Veil" ECM poda and a GEC Sandpiper FLIR turret. I've also seen images of DIRCM being carried, either the pair of Loral Challenger mounted above the cockpit, or the ALQ-147 mounted inside the helicopter with the doors open.

AFAIK RN maritime Lynx is not equipped with a dipping SONAR, however some export variants were as well as MAD systems.

At the moment the Lynx HAS.3 gets my vote, I would prefer the HMA.8 (and/or the HMA.8), but I fear there are systems that are classified in spite of it being replaced by the AW159.

As for AAC Lynx, I'd quite like to see the AH.5, AH.7 and/or the AH.9

I do worry that the sonar systems and some of the avionics from the HMA8 or AH9a maybe to advanced for to be released for DCS. The AH7 is relatively straight forward and TOW aint exactly classified anymore ;)

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
On 9/17/2018 at 6:28 PM, Jockcop said:

Been holding off on a helicopter purchase as like the warbirds. I haven't seen anything that gave me that tingle of excitement you get when you see a new aircraft that your excited for announced. It then hit me exactly the kinda aircraft that I would wanna see.

Lynx HAS3/MK7

They have just gone out of service this year after being replaced with the Wildcat. While there is a outward similarities, in a similar vein to he Super Hornet and Hornet, the Wildcat has 95% new components and is to all extents and purposes, a brand new helicopter.

Which mean the Lynx is freed up in term of being out of service technology. As well as being incredibly light and manoeuvrable, being described as a joy to fly, they were used, especially the naval variant by a variety of counties and in many theatres. Falklands (map is coming up) Gulf war, Tanker war, Bosnia, Kosovo, Serbia, Sierra Leone, Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, and Syria.

The HAS3 (or later variants would dive us something DCS is lacking- a maritime strike helicopter ability. More naval units are being added and having a torpedo and Anti Ship missile capable helicopter would be a game changer. During the Gulf War, Sea Lynx's flying off of British frigates and destroyers, decimated the Iraqi Navy, being responsible for destroying a significant proportion of their surface fleet

I got a ride in the back of both in the AH7 and 9's while I was in the army and can attest to the fact the pilots can throw the dam things around!!

Did I also mention the Lynx still holds the worlds helicopter straight speed record :thumbup:

They biggest downside I can see is that, the HA3/HMA8 variant is that they would have to model the sonar buoys and torpedo subsequently, the submarines and I'm not sure how advanced there tech and plans for naval ship simulation is.

The ASW stuff could be added later on. As described in another thread, as with the Huey and the Hip we all would be happy to simply fly it around (the ships) initially. There is no need to have everything available at day one. Without external scripts the Huey and the Hip wouldn't have any real purpose than just enjoying flying them, so why should a Sea Lynx (using the German Navy name here) have to meet higher standards? And even today we could already do ASuW in DCS (in case of the Sea Lynx with Sea Skua and guns M3M), do VERTREP,... lots of things to do already than just flying around.

A naval Lynx in DCS would be a dream come true! (Even more than an SH/MH-60, but being realistic I think that the Seahawk would be more likely to see light in DCS than a naval Lynx) 

Edited by Pilot Ike
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Definitely need a lynx on dcs. Done well it would be a hugely popular model. You have the utility roles of the Huey as well as attack roles in either maritime or land based variant all in a very stable platform. I flew the mk7 and 9 and would be more than happy to help out as well with any developers. Seems like there are a few of us on here who have flown it and would be keen to help. Just needs a good developer to pick up the challenge. 

Great little helicopter - would definitely buy, especially with the RN ships promised for Razbsm’s South Atlantic map...

Certainly the Leander, Type 21 and Type 22 frigates and Type 42 destroyers carried the Lynx at the time of the Falklands conflict.

These ships, with the Lynx, would also be perfect for the Persian Gulf / Armilla Patrol as well...

Edited by rkk01