Option to disable automatic player calls / enable manual-only calls

Harker

Currently, the pilot in the player aircraft will make various calls automatically, such as when established overhead during CASE I, reading back the CASE III info from Marshal, responding to the needles call and updating the fuel state. All of these calls/responses are made without any player input.

I would like to request that an option is added to disable these automatic calls and instead have them made manually instead. I understand that not everyone wants this level of involvement, so I'm just requesting it as an option, not as the only option.

As it is now, the process flow has a mind of its own and will continue, whether you're actually ready for it to continue or not, such as when entering the overhead pattern: DCS won't wait until you're actually established, your pilot gives the call whenever you're close enough to the carrier, no matter if you're flying at 500 knots and are flying inverted between two stacks.

Or reading back the CASE III briefing before you've had enough time to write it down/memorize it (the point of reading it back would be that the player can confirm their version).

In my opinion, this detracts from realism, trivializes the comms process from the player's side (proper comms were supposed to be a big part of the SC) and makes it impossible to attempt to have realistic comms by means of an external solution, such as Voice Attack.

I'd like to point out that the JTAC system, which is the only other system that uses "interactive" comms, is fully manual and working great because of it.

I know that the SC is in Early Access and that things like different frequencies will be added later in EA. I'd like to see fully manual comms added during that period as well.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Agreed in general except, I kind of cringed at this bit:

I'd like to point out that the JTAC system, which is the only other system that uses "interactive" comms, is fully manual and working great because of it.

I'm not sure the JTAC is something to replicate since it's so incredibly fragile and will just outright break if you do anything wrong. The ability to do it step by step at your own pace is good, yes, but let's not gloss over its significant shortcomings when using it as inspiration for how to create other systems. Those shortcomings are not just things that need to be fixed with the JTAC interaction, but are also things that absolutely should under no circumstances be replicated or act as inspiration for other systems.

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

Agreed in general except, I kind of cringed at this bit:

I'm not sure the JTAC is something to replicate since it's so incredibly fragile and will just outright break if you do anything wrong. The ability to do it step by step at your own pace is good, yes, but let's not gloss over its significant shortcomings when using it as inspiration for how to create other systems. Those shortcomings are not just things that need to be fixed with the JTAC interaction, but are also things that absolutely should under no circumstances be replicated or act as inspiration for other systems.

Ok, maybe I could word it a little better. I meant that the JTAC system is working great from a pilot involvement perspective, not that everything works without issues all the time. Also, the JTAC is inherently prone to a lot of issues that the SC is not, such as unit placement, visibility, time of day, distance from enemy etc.

I was just giving an idea of how the comms flow could go. For example, how you actually have to say "Laser On" for the JTAC to fire the laser, instead of him doing it as soon as you're within a certain distance from the target. Or actually select 9-line Readback, instead of your pilot simply repeating the 9-line immediately after the JTAC finishes. Or how the JTAC will actually pause and wait for player input before giving Remarks. The flow always waits for player input, instead of advancing without you.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro