Eagerly awaited aircraft for DCS World

phant

Yeah. I probably heard it in a documentary about F-117's development. Does the F-104 fall into the category of early low stability airframes? Because that could make it hard to fly.

Another reduction to the list:

A-4 Skyhawk

F-104 Starfighter

Sepecat Jaguar

F-111 Aardvark

Old/long out of service:

English Electric Lightning

F-105 Thundercheif

Saab 35 Draken

B-57 Canberra

not hard to fly:

Dassault Rafale

F-117 Nighthawk

F-22A Raptor

F-35A Lightning II

Saab JAS-39 Gripen

requires multicrew:

B-1B Lancer

C-130 Hercules

E-2 Hawkeye

E-3 Sentry

EA-6B Prowler

KC-130 Hercules

KC-135 Stratotanker

Panavia Tornado

Russian or similar:

J-15 Flanker-X2

Mig-25 Foxbat

Mig-29 Fulcrum

Mig-31 Foxhound

Mig-35 Fulcrum F

Su-22 Fitter

Su-24 Fencer

Su-25 Frogfoot

Su-27 Flanker

Su-30 Flanker

Su-34 Flanker

Su-37 Flanker

TU-22 Backfire

not fixed wing:

CH-47 Chinook

UH-60 Blackhawk/Seahawk

V-22 Osprey

World war II or earlier:

Hawker Nimrod

similar to what we have:

F-15C Eagle

F/A-18 E/F/G Hornet

Edited by Tomas9970

If the two 5th Genners and the two 4th gen Eurocanards are out, how come the -117 is in, still? It's a fly-by-wire aircraft, too. And, it wasn't at all difficult to fly as per its pilots.

https://www.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/1499939/remembering-the-f-117-nighthawk/

After all, it's a FBW aircraft. The claims of its difficulty of handling probably come out of certain pieces of media that failed to differ between the F-117A and the Have Blue.

Nice read of the Nighthawk, thanks for sharing

So.... Apache or Russian/Chinese aircraft?

I'd say F-111, Tornado, and transports/bombers are still a contender.

Challenge to fly doesn't necessarily mean it's because it's hard to fly.. it could be involved to work systems while flying. Maybe the F-117 is a challenge to fly in some way, who knows?

ED is already developing multi crew for modules so that doesn't dismiss multi crew aircraft.

Economically speaking, the new aircraft was likely chosen to leverage recent and upcoming investments by ED.

This includes:

- Modern Avionics (Radar, HMD, D/L, IFF, etc)

- AG Radar API

- New FLIR rendering

- New maps (Syria, Afghanistan)

- Multi-seat (ED investing into multi-seat Huey)

The obvious answer is the AH-64D Longbow Apache

ED reps have stated that the choice of an aircraft is based on:

community demand

Yes

available fleet and terrains

Upcoming, yes.

gameplay

Considering the love for the KA-50, a complex modern gunship for team blue would do well.

available docs

There is indeed much material on this around the web.

available knowledge/resource allocation

ED has experience with Helos and modern avionics at this point.

available SME

A widely proliferated aircraft. I'm sure there are SMEs all over willing to assist ED.

third parties developments

None are developing an AH-64.. But the Kiowa may pose as competition.

restrictions and risks of delivery

Some AH-64D information is likely highly restricted. But consider this, Boeing has already gave ED its blessing for the Hornet. The AH-64D likely has less classified systems, has greater proliferation than the Hornet, and a Block ll AH-64 would be older than the Hornet Lot we got.

Edited by Beamscanner
  • Like 1

So.... Apache or Russian/Chinese aircraft?

I'd say F-111, Tornado, and transports/bombers are still a contender.

Challenge to fly doesn't necessarily mean it's because it's hard to fly.. it could be involved to work systems while flying. Maybe the F-117 is a challenge to fly in some way, who knows?

ED is already developing multi crew for modules so that doesn't dismiss multi crew aircraft.

They are developing multicrew but only for aircrafts that are not dependent on it. For example the Huey where having a second pilot is a matter of slight convenience or the Mi-24 where you can still fly from the gunner's seat.

It's questionable whether or not the F-111 falls into this category or if it's just too complicated for it. It's by far the best candidate based on the "It's complex" clue.

I heard somewhere that it's supposed to be fixed wing aircraft but that information was passed over by someone so i don't have the original source.

edit: I brought the F-111 back based on reasons mentioned above.

Lol

IIRC Mover (C.W. Lemoine) said on his stream that ED was working on the Apache.

So Mover says and ED does you mean?

It is NOT Apache. I hope :)

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

IIRC Mover (C.W. Lemoine) said on his stream that ED was working on the Apache.
That's very old news from The Battle Simulator which is related to DCS but not the same at all. It'd be more than welcome, but I highly doubt it's Apache after the hints that has been spread.

S!

Edited by Ala13_ManOWar

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Spitfire Mk. XIV would be cool but would be tough to master.
You kidding? After K4, Spit and P-47 you think a XIV would be tough to master? :lol::lol:

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Apache or F-111 are what I personally think it might be. Either of them are very welcome in the sim as far as I'm concerned and day 1 purchases. Superhornet and F-15C would be nice but I don't think they match the hints.

I mean I also hope it could be a Russian fixed wing aircraft but what can I say that hasn't been said before on that topic.

Edited by Ikaros

Economically speaking, the new aircraft was likely chosen to leverage recent and upcoming investments by ED.

This includes:

- Modern Avionics (Radar, HMD, D/L, IFF, etc)

- AG Radar API

- New FLIR rendering

- New maps (Syria, Afghanistan)

- Multi-seat (ED investing into multi-seat Huey)

The obvious answer is the AH-64D Longbow Apache

ED reps have stated that the choice of an aircraft is based on:

community demand

Yes

available fleet and terrains

Upcoming, yes.

gameplay

Considering the love for the KA-50, a complex modern gunship for team blue would do well.

available docs

There is indeed much material on this around the web.

available knowledge/resource allocation

ED has experience with Helos and modern avionics at this point.

available SME

A widely proliferated aircraft. I'm sure there are SMEs all over willing to assist ED.

third parties developments

None are developing an AH-64.. But the Kiowa may pose as competition.

restrictions and risks of delivery

Some AH-64D information is likely highly restricted. But consider this, Boeing has already gave ED its blessing for the Hornet. The AH-64D likely has less classified systems, has greater proliferation than the Hornet, and a Block ll AH-64 would be older than the Hornet Lot we got.

I agree with all your reasoning until you get to:

"The obvious answer is the AH-64D Longbow Apache..."

'cause I'm pretty sure they said it's fixed wing.

Cheers.

I don't know. The recent announcement of a 3rd party developing the Eurofighter could mean this mystery module might end up being the Tornado, as one of the major hurdles in developing any module is the licensing.

Given that the same organization that granted the license so the Eurofighter module could be developed also owns the Tornado (if I recall correctly), it is quite possible that the Tornado license was picked up by ED for development around the same time.

And there are a ton of Tornado pilots out there that can help with development, as well as a ton of technical information available publicly and through such a licensing agreement. If they were willing to license out the Eurofighter, you can bet they'd be fine with licensing the older Tornado as well.

And the Tornado fits the clues that have been dropped and is a much requested aircraft. While I'd STILL prefer to see a pro level MIG-29 (or another red team module) over just about anything else, I think the Tornado would be a fine choice as well.

I doubt it'll be any aircraft that is stealthy such as the F-117, F-22, F-35, etc. as this would require major changes to the DCS engine to account for the stealth properties, and personally I'd prefer they concentrate on getting the other stuff in the DCS world right first...

But think of the possibilities! If ED were to use the base code from Heatblur's F-14 then development time could be (comparatively) VERY short for a Tornado, as they share similar functionality. There would even be a backseat AI ready from the start, and if they didn't turn it into spaghetti code in the process, we'd end up with another gold standard module for DCS.

Just say'in...

Edited by StressLess
'Cause I can't just leave the damn thing alone!!

HP Z230 - Win10 Pro, i7-4770@3.30Ghz, 16GB RAM, EVO 1TB SSD x2, GTX 1660 Super 6GB, Quest 2 VR/TrackIR5; GIGABYTE AERO 17 HDR XD - Creator series laptop

DCS World - Terrains: all; Modules: all but MB-339, Mirage F1, Mosquito, I-16, MiG-19P, Yak-52, F-5E, L-39, C-101, MiG-15bis, MiG-21bis, & F-86F; Campaigns: various

On My Radar - The Typhoon, and I'm still hoping for a Norway map to go with it!!

I agree with all your reasoning until you get to:

"The obvious answer is the AH-64D Longbow Apache..."

'cause I'm pretty sure they said it's fixed wing.

Do you have a link to the post that says it's fixed wing?

I don't know. The recent announcement of a 3rd party developing the Eurofighter could mean this mystery module might end up being the Tornado, as one of the major hurdles in developing any module is the licensing.

Given that the same organization that granted the license so the Eurofighter module could be developed also owns the Tornado (if I recall correctly), it is quite possible that the Tornado license was picked up by ED for development around the same time.

And there are a ton of Tornado pilots out there that can help with development, as well as a ton of technical information available publicly and through such a licensing agreement. If they were willing to license out the Eurofighter, you can bet they'd be fine with licensing the older Tornado as well.

And the Tornado fits the clues that have been dropped and is a much requested aircraft. While I'd STILL prefer to see a pro level MIG-29 over just about anything else (or another red team module), I think the Tornado would be a fine choice as well.

I doubt it'll be any aircraft that is stealthy such as the F-117, F-22, F-35, etc. as this would require major changes to the DCS engine to account for the stealth properties, and personally I'd prefer they concentrate on getting the other stuff in the DCS world right first...

Tornado would be awesome as well, forgot to include that in my earlier post. :pilotfly:

Judging from the information that's been given here. I've narrowed it down to what I believe could be one of the following.

F-111 Aardvark - Highly requested and fits the timeline given. Was also regarded to be quite challenging to fly. This also fits the milestone for ED specifically as it would be their first fully functional multicrew and swing wing aircraft to my knowledge. That said, Heatblur already accomplished this with the F-14.

Panavia Tornado - Also highly requested and fits the timeline given. Like the F-111, it fits the milestone accomplishment of multi crew and swing wing functionality. However, from what I've read, this plane has never been regarded as a challenge to operate, assuming it's the IDS variant. ADV on the other hand was a different story, but largely because the aircraft was never really designed for air superiority in the first place.

MiG-29 Fulcrum - Again, highly requested and although not particularly regarded as challenging to fly, it was said to have poor situationanal awareness for the pilot. With displays and HUD that was far inferior to anything NATO had. This caused the crew to be highly dependant of third party information from the ground or AWACS before performing any sort of action. (Including ejecting from the aircraft in some circumstances apparently!)

This is all purely just an educated guess however, and I personally would be very happy with either the Aardvark or Tornado. I don't see it being a rotary aircraft as I feel the only likely candidate for that is the Apache.

Steam User

Owned Modules| F-14A/B Tomcat | F/A-18C Hornet | F-16C Viper | AV-8B Harrier | F-5E Tiger II | A-10C Warthog | Combined Arms | Supercarrier | NTTR | Persian Gulf |

Module Wishlist | Blackburn Buccaneer | Panavia Tornado | F-111 Aardvark | F-4 Phantom

MiG-29 Fulcrum - Again, highly requested and although not particularly regarded as challenging to fly, it was said to have poor situationanal awareness for the pilot. With displays and HUD that was far inferior to anything NATO had. This caused the crew to be highly dependant of third party information from the ground or AWACS before performing any sort of action. (Including ejecting from the aircraft in some circumstances apparently!)

Once you make comparison between the first F-16 and Mig-29 what makes F-16 better in terms of the displays and situational awareness?

I am not talking about the view from the cockpit - most likely there is no jet in history to be comparable and never will be as with stealth, pilots are going back deeper into the plane.

I remember even descriptions that early Vipers were even unable to fire BVR missiles.

Thus it depends on what version do you pick - although Russia is clearly behind in general development.

Anyway F-111 would be quite a shock for me and maybe (if there would be chance to get reasonably well made product even as an early access) just maybe reason to buy it even at full price.

Trouble is in neverending lack of the dynamic campaign and proliferation of the Fox-3 capable birds - online F-111 could be easily in the world of troubles as there is almost nothing from her real world.

But give me a vote - and I would go for it.

Once you make comparison between the first F-16 and Mig-29 what makes F-16 better in terms of the displays and situational awareness?

I believe it was more due to the fact that the MFDs weren't as user friendly, compared to what NATO aircraft would be using. Causing more workload on the pilot than what would really be necessary. Subsequently, this could often cause a reduction in pilot awareness, having to have their focus stretched so far. I recall hearing something like this from an interview (Aircrew Interviews channel) with a Luftwaffe pilot that flew the Mig-29 after securing them and made comments on this issue, if my memory serves me right.

Steam User

Owned Modules| F-14A/B Tomcat | F/A-18C Hornet | F-16C Viper | AV-8B Harrier | F-5E Tiger II | A-10C Warthog | Combined Arms | Supercarrier | NTTR | Persian Gulf |

Module Wishlist | Blackburn Buccaneer | Panavia Tornado | F-111 Aardvark | F-4 Phantom

It's definitely going to be an Su-30 variant, either the Su-30MKI (which would match up well with the JF-17) or the Su-30SM.

All of ED's denials about how it's not going to be a modern Russian-built fighter are lies designed to throw us off the scent.

I believe it was more due to the fact that the MFDs weren't as user friendly, compared to what NATO aircraft would be using. Causing more workload on the pilot than what would really be necessary. Subsequently, this could often cause a reduction in pilot awareness, having to have their focus stretched so far. I recall hearing something like this from an interview (Aircrew Interviews channel) with a Luftwaffe pilot that flew the Mig-29 after securing them and made comments on this issue, if my memory serves me right.

I remember such a comparisons, they appeared i.e. after training dogfight between Swiss(?) F-18 and former East Germany Mig-29 (still in the inventory of the united Germany). They made comparison of the visibility from the cockpit, ergonomics, workload etc. But those Migs were truly basic models with just radar screen - but first models of the F-16 actually had also just one HDD around pilot's knees and numeric board on the left side of the dashboard. Hardly a big difference. I even remember some descriptions about later model where some other display was added at the higher part of the main panel and it was said how it increased safety of the operation as now pilot doesn't have to look down into the depths of the cockpit (loosing situational awareness).

I am fairly interested because as a "Easterner" these are my memories of the first contacts with the open information about military and aviation after the regime in the Eastern block had changed.