Vulkan API - Page 6 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 08-09-2018, 10:02 PM   #51
Vitormouraa
Veteran

Yes! Great news!

SplashOneGaming is a community of viewers, players, and content creators built on combat flight simulation. Flowing through our veins is years of flight simulation experience in a multitude of different platforms. We welcome and encourage all of you to join us, whether you are seasoned or green, looking to learn, teach, or just trying to find someone to fly with.
Discord
Website
Vitormouraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:32 PM   #52
beppe_goodoldrebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags View Post
Base programming and testing should be finished next month. We'll then work on transferring our shaders to the new API. This is a very new technology for us, and it is quite possible that we will run into unforeseen issues during that phase. DCS World uses many complicated shaders that may not necessarily play nice with the Vulkan API.

Thanks!
How much do you guys think this API would benefit the FPS?
Or at least where are you aiming for?
beppe_goodoldrebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:49 PM   #53
NineLine
Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe_goodoldrebel View Post
Probably not something we want to guess at right now, better to wait till its closer to release.
ED Facebook PageED YouTube PageWags YouTubeMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine #0440
**How to Report a Bug**
NineLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 01:40 AM   #54
wilbur81

Quote:
Base programming and testing should be finished next month. We'll then work on transferring our shaders to the new API.

Thanks!
Thank YOU, Matt...for the response... and all your hard work!
Old 08-10-2018, 11:37 AM   #55
Precog

Quote:
Base programming and testing should be finished next month. We'll then work on transferring our shaders to the new API. This is a very new technology for us, and it is quite possible that we will run into unforeseen issues during that phase. DCS World uses many complicated shaders that may not necessarily play nice with the Vulkan API.

Thanks!
Thanks for the update Matt. Looking forward to hearing more about Vulcan implementation. I hope it goes smooth for you guys.

Precog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 11:47 AM   #56
falcon_120

Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe_goodoldrebel View Post
Its not that simple, you can't say i will improve Fps a 10% or 13,5%. You will never get an answer to that because is impossible to say until is done and you benchmark on your system.

Lets wait patiently and support ED on their quest.
falcon_120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 12:47 PM   #57
Mr_sukebe

I’d also expect system specs to influence the improvements possible.
For example, if Vulkan does allow offloading of video tasks from the GPU to unused CPU cores, then a Threaripper system with 16 cores will have far more free resources than say my wheezing i5 2500.
Old 08-10-2018, 01:31 PM   #58
sobek
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_sukebe View Post
For example, if Vulkan does allow offloading of video tasks from the GPU to unused CPU cores, then a Threaripper system with 16 cores will have far more free resources than say my wheezing i5 2500.

Doing that would actually be a rather bad idea because of the comparatively low bandwidth of the connection between RAM and GPU. To render a frame you need to work on big amounts of data to generate even more data and ultimately that data needs to end up on the graphics card anyway. Offloading things to the CPU would most likely cost you huge amounts of performance while the GPU waits for stuff from RAM to be loaded. More cores is mostly beneficial if your CPU isn't able to fully saturate the GPU (and the application properly uses a modern graphics API) or if you're doing lots of stuff that is not well suited to be run on the GPU on the side.

Last edited by sobek; 08-10-2018 at 01:34 PM.
sobek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 05:32 PM   #59
kazereal

Quote:

Thanks!
Thanks for info! I have been anticipating for this to happen
Old 08-10-2018, 05:38 PM   #60
kazereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobek View Post
Doing that would actually be a rather bad idea because of the comparatively low bandwidth of the connection between RAM and GPU. To render a frame you need to work on big amounts of data to generate even more data and ultimately that data needs to end up on the graphics card anyway. Offloading things to the CPU would most likely cost you huge amounts of performance while the GPU waits for stuff from RAM to be loaded. More cores is mostly beneficial if your CPU isn't able to fully saturate the GPU (and the application properly uses a modern graphics API) or if you're doing lots of stuff that is not well suited to be run on the GPU on the side.
I agree with you: if CPU isn't doing things fast enough you essentially stall the GPU (make it wait for CPU to give more tasks).

PlayStation 4 uses different bus-architecture than PC called HSA-architecture: that essentially allows GPU and CPU share same data without copying between memories. If you had that on PC it could improve efficiency.

Often GPU is more efficient in highly parallel tasks and offloading things from CPU to GPU makes more sense. There are other tasks that don't scale well on GPU and are better to be done on CPU threads: network code is one example of such. So offloading things GPU and threading the rest of CPU would be most useful approach. And simulation code does have plenty of things that can benefit from parallelism if it is done so that it can benefit from parallelism: this means data structures need to work well with this design.