Can someone explain terms and release dates of planes and flaming cliffs? - ED Forums
 


Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2019, 09:38 PM   #1
_outcast_
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 19
Default Can someone explain terms and release dates of planes and flaming cliffs?

I am new to DCS and some of the titles thrown around confuses me a bit and I wonder if someone could clear it up for me. One term I often hear is Flaming Cliffs, but what is Flaming Cliffs? Is that the name DCS had before?

Also the release dates of planes kind of confuses me. I read that Flaming Cliffs 3 was released in 2012 and included the Su-25, but then there is also a notice that the module for Su-25 was released in 2013? How does this add up?

Also, I am curious, what year was the Su-25T released that is now free with DCS world?
_outcast_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:44 PM   #2
zhukov032186
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Fort Worth, Tx
Posts: 2,265
Default

Flaming Cliffs is a pack of less detailed aircraft (system wise). You can also buy those aircraft individually.

25T was released when DCS World was released, being included with it. Release dates persay aren't really relevant, btw.
__________________
Zhukov attacks *FORUM USER* with Legendary Trollsword!
*FORUM USER* Constitution save roll.... Fail!
*FORUM USER* afflicted with ''Hurt Feelz'', -1 Concentration for two rounds
zhukov032186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:47 PM   #3
_outcast_
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhukov032186 View Post
Flaming Cliffs is a pack of less detailed aircraft (system wise). You can also buy those aircraft individually.

25T was released when DCS World was released, being included with it. Release dates persay aren't really relevant, btw.
Hmm but if I seach for DCS world release date it reads 2008. But I don't think the Su-25T was released back in 2008 or was it?
_outcast_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:50 PM   #4
zhukov032186
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Fort Worth, Tx
Posts: 2,265
Default

DCS World is a hub. ''DCS'' did not always exist and some products that are modules for it existed prior and were incorporated later. The 25T is the oldest and most outdated aircraft, held over from Lock On days.
__________________
Zhukov attacks *FORUM USER* with Legendary Trollsword!
*FORUM USER* Constitution save roll.... Fail!
*FORUM USER* afflicted with ''Hurt Feelz'', -1 Concentration for two rounds
zhukov032186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 01:13 AM   #5
Nealius
Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Tokyo
Posts: 3,738
Default

DCS Roadmap is stickied in the forums: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=116893
__________________
YouTube Channel: "Clutch"

ASUS Z170 | i5-7600 | RTX2070 | 32GB DDR4 | Windows 10
Nealius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 02:09 AM   #6
Rudel_chw
Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Antofagasta, Chile
Posts: 4,260
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by _outcast_ View Post
I am new to DCS and some of the titles thrown around confuses me a bit and I wonder if someone could clear it up for me. One term I often hear is Flaming Cliffs, but what is Flaming Cliffs? Is that the name DCS had before?
On 2003 Eagle Dynamics released a new flight simulator: "Lock-On Modern Air Combat" .. it had a Map that included Crimea and Caucasus, and you could fly 7 aircrafts: su-27, su-33, mig-29, f-15, a-10a, su-25a and su-25t

On 2005 an improved version was released, named "Lock-On Flamming Cliffs"

On 2008 ED released the first simulator on its new "Digital Combat Simulator" series, the Dcs:black shark ... to be followed on 2010 by the Dcs:A-10C ... at that time the dcs was more like a series of simulators, not the modules that we know today.

On 2010, ED released an updated version of its previous Sim, incorporating technology of the DCS titles, and called it "Lock-On Flamming Cliffs 2"

On 2011, ED released DCS World, with the concept of plug-in modules ... initially it had just the A-10C and the Dcs blackshark 2

On 2012, ED released the P-51D

On 2013, ED ported to DCS the aircrafts of FC2, and called them "Flamming Cliffs 3" .. they are simpler than the previous 3 modules of DCS and dont have clickable cockpits.

I’m not clear about when the su-25T started to be free.
__________________
For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra
For Gaming: 27" Monitor - Ryzen 1500X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - MSI GTX970 - SSD 480 GB - HDD 10 TB - Windows 8.1 Pro - Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1
Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 128 GB
Rudel_chw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 12:05 PM   #7
Ironhand
Veteran
 
Ironhand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Posts: 4,049
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudel_chw View Post
On 2003 Eagle Dynamics released a new flight simulator: "Lock-On Modern Air Combat" .. it had a Map that included Crimea and Caucasus, and you could fly 7 aircrafts: su-27, su-33, mig-29, f-15, a-10a, su-25a and su-25t...

I’m not clear about when the su-25T started to be free.
LOMAC did not include the Su-25T, only the -25A. The -25T was introduced with "Lock-On Flaming Cliffs". Not that it really matters.

The old FC2 website is still up if someone wants to tiptoe through the past. It gives the history of the series up to that point: Flaming Cliffs 2. And it all started back in the late 1990s with ED's "Su-27 Flanker" title.
__________________
http://rsoro.host22.com/Flankertraining_Images/Flankertraining_Banner-1a.jpg

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 16GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Last edited by Ironhand; 07-18-2019 at 12:10 PM.
Ironhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 12:27 PM   #8
Rudel_chw
Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Antofagasta, Chile
Posts: 4,260
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhand View Post
LOMAC did not include the Su-25T, only the -25A. The -25T was introduced with "Lock-On Flaming Cliffs". Not that it really matters.

The old FC2 website is still up if someone wants to tiptoe through the past. It gives the history of the series up to that point: Flaming Cliffs 2. And it all started back in the late 1990s with ED's "Su-27 Flanker" title.
That same website says that the Su-25T was included on Lo-Mac:

https://www.lockon.ru/en/modern_air_combat/
__________________
For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra
For Gaming: 27" Monitor - Ryzen 1500X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - MSI GTX970 - SSD 480 GB - HDD 10 TB - Windows 8.1 Pro - Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1
Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 128 GB
Rudel_chw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 05:03 PM   #9
Ironhand
Veteran
 
Ironhand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Posts: 4,049
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudel_chw View Post
That same website says that the Su-25T was included on Lo-Mac:

https://www.lockon.ru/en/modern_air_combat/
My error then. I was basing it on this statement in the LOMAC section:

“Controllable planes: The game allows the player to fly any one of the following seven aircraft: Su-25, Su-27, Su-33, Mig-29A, Mig-29C, F-15C, and A-10A.”

Reading further down now in the specifications for each aircraft, though, I see the Su-25T listed. OTOH, LOFC lists the Su-25T as a new addition. Maybe it was just new and improved.
__________________
http://rsoro.host22.com/Flankertraining_Images/Flankertraining_Banner-1a.jpg

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 16GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.
Ironhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 06:13 PM   #10
Sabadin
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Canada eh
Posts: 30
Send a message via AIM to Sabadin Send a message via MSN to Sabadin
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhand View Post
My error then. I was basing it on this statement in the LOMAC section:

“Controllable planes: The game allows the player to fly any one of the following seven aircraft: Su-25, Su-27, Su-33, Mig-29A, Mig-29C, F-15C, and A-10A.”

Reading further down now in the specifications for each aircraft, though, I see the Su-25T listed. OTOH, LOFC lists the Su-25T as a new addition. Maybe it was just new and improved.
Pretry sure your memory is serving you right, I also remember FC adding the 25T as the test bed for AFM.


Edit: Upon reading the Flaming Cliffs section of the website you were definitely remembering right;


Product Overview
New product features include:
All the capabilities of "LockOn: Modern Air Combat".
Addition of the Su-25T as a player-flyable aircraft.

Last edited by Sabadin; 07-18-2019 at 06:15 PM.
Sabadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:51 AM. vBulletin Skin by ForumMonkeys. Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.