Interesting fact about the F-16 Side Stick Controller - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 07-13-2019, 02:59 AM   #21
VampireNZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano87 View Post
Hehe. My plan is to keep my Warthog base as a centre stick so I can switch back and forth as I please. I’m not sure if I’ll go fully over to the side stick or just use it for the Viper. I fly in VR so having the stick being in a different place from where the virtual one is can be a bit jarring.
Yep I have the same plan - FSSB side stick just for the F-16 and keep the VKB centre mounted for everything else. Good thing about VR is you don't see all the stuff mounted to your sim rig

Also Fri - spare a thought for the RL Thunderbirds who fly with a preset amount of nose-down elevator trim in permanently, which they have to overcome the entire display with just their wrist/forearm!

VampireNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 03:02 AM   #22
Emmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by VampireNZ View Post
Yep I have the same plan - FSSB side stick just for the F-16 and keep the VKB centre mounted for everything else. Good thing about VR is you don't see all the stuff mounted to your sim rig

Also Fri - spare a thought for the RL Thunderbirds who fly with a preset amount of nose-down elevator trim in permanently, which they have to overcome the entire display with just their wrist/forearm!
Nowhere near the 45lbs of pull the Blue Angles Fly with.

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php
High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.
www.crosswindimages.com
Emmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 05:11 AM   #23
VampireNZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmy View Post
Nowhere near the 45lbs of pull the Blue Angles Fly with.
Yes that is impressive - also easier when you have your large back and bicep muscles to help out thou...as opposed to your Popeye forearm only .

VampireNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 08:29 AM   #24
Emmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by VampireNZ View Post
Yes that is impressive - also easier when you have your large back and bicep muscles to help out thou...as opposed to your Popeye forearm only .
Fair Point...

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php
High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.
www.crosswindimages.com
Emmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 06:55 PM   #25
=BJM=

This is great stuff!!

So, is axis rotation of the Thrustmaster Warthog Stick possible using the Target software?

I have my stick on the side and definitly notice that I naturally pull the stick slightly left when pulling back...I have to make an effort to pull it straight back.

Also, while a 12 deg offset works in the real aircraft, would it still work for all of our sim setups considering stick locations and arm angles may be different? Is there an easy way to tell in the software, at what angle of degrees I am pulling the stick at?
=BJM= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 07:58 PM   #26
Deano87

Quote:
Originally Posted by =BJM= View Post
This is great stuff!!

So, is axis rotation of the Thrustmaster Warthog Stick possible using the Target software?

I have my stick on the side and definitly notice that I naturally pull the stick slightly left when pulling back...I have to make an effort to pull it straight back.

Also, while a 12 deg offset works in the real aircraft, would it still work for all of our sim setups considering stick locations and arm angles may be different? Is there an easy way to tell in the software, at what angle of degrees I am pulling the stick at?
Hi BJM

It’s not the Warthog we are referring to, we are talking about the Realsim FSSB R3 Lighting force sensing stick which is a close replica of how the F-16 stick works. This stick has its own software which allows you to rotate the output.

http://realsimulator.com/html/fssb_r3_lighting.html

Regarding the stick position. I’m replicating the real jets seat/stick position as close as I can so the 12 degrees should work for me I think. We shall see hehe.

Proud owner of:
Deltasim - Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade.
Real Simulator - FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick
PointCTRL VR - Finger Trackers for VR
Mach3Ti Ring - Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Screenshots
Deano87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 08:04 PM   #27
RustBelt

For the Warthog you could go to Debolestis' Shapeways shop and buy a 13 and 15 twist and tilt tailpiece to replace the one in your Warthog grip then just mount the base sideways so the stick is straight.
RustBelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 08:21 PM   #28
=Panther=

Yes, TARGET has offset ability in the programming.

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Twitch Channel
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO, i7 6700k, G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, JetSeat, Oculus Rift cv1, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC
=Panther= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 08:35 PM   #29
Fri13
Veteran

[QUOTE=Deano87;3977916]Good points fri. But that’s for maximum deflections, pilots are rarely using that much force. For normal flying it’s just fingertip work.[\quote]

Sorry I wasn't clean enough that I understood that was force for Max input, but my points was as well that people working in a far more ergonomic seats (straight) suffers from similar neck problems because their hands are at sides sound very small finger tip movements, that are causing tension to their nerves at back and hands, that causes neck problems as the neck muscles reacts to that.

This is common chiropractor case, while normal doctors typically denies these and treats or as neck problem instead back problem. You can treat it with arms mobility and elbows angles, regardless that the pain feels in neck.

Cause is often in the hands and the seating angle on the thighs and hip, that causes problem in the neck. Cause is not in the neck, even when it hurts there.

Quote:
The neck pain comes from the 30 degree recline of the back and the subsequent forward tilt of the neck to look forward and down into the cockpit while also pulling G. At least that’s what I remember from talking to my brother about it, but I shall ask him next time I see him. I’ve flown a F-16 sim with accurate control forces and I didn’t find them to be a problem. Also, adrenaline is a great thing for making you stronger when you need to be
What is the normal seat recline angle?
Old 07-14-2019, 08:40 PM   #30
Fri13
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmy View Post
There is an arm rest on the right side in the F-16.
Again causing problems negate your arm is immobile. And you rest arm that you cause more nerves squeezing etc.

If you want a good chair to sit and work, get a saddle chair.
Sad thing is that you can't fit one in aircraft, nor simpit.

https://salli.com/en/home/

Tags
f-16, f-16 stick, fssb, ssc, stick