Shahdoh's maneuvers - ED Forums

Notices

Old 07-10-2019, 05:51 PM   #1
baylor703

Default Shahdoh's maneuvers

What is this maneuver called in Shahdoh's video? It's timestamped here: https://youtu.be/1TQd3U3juUQ?t=871

His mastery of the craft is excellent, and I'm trying to mimic that maneuver. I can get vertical and maintain it nearly to a standstill by using the rudders and watching the wings, but the way he gets the nose down immediately after is lost on me. Any tips?
baylor703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 06:29 PM   #2
Emmy

Vertical Roll -> Torque Roll (Gear/Flaps) -> Stall -> Very Aggressive Slip -> Wheel Landing

Complex series but not impossible with enough smash on the initial up line.

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php
High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.
www.crosswindimages.com
Emmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 06:35 PM   #3
Magic Zach

Looks like he just let it free fall and figure itself out, couldn't see any movement in the tail on the way down. Right rudder was used increasingly as speed decreased in the climb. He started dropping his flaps before he was at a standstill or started falling though. Cutting throttle can also bring your nose to the center. That's just what I see in the video, though
Old 07-10-2019, 06:47 PM   #4
Shahdoh

Emmy covered it pretty well (airspeed was around 350 prior to the pull) and Magic Zach seen that I indeed started to put the flaps out before the stall. I also was put the gear down at the same time when the airspeed was appropriate. This helped create the drag for the vertical descent which was right over the end of the runway (about 3000-3500 feet). That and the hard slip kept my airspeed low enough, and then touched down at about 120 mph.

Thanks for the kind words, that routine was a lot of fun to fly.
Shahdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 05:14 PM   #5
baylor703

Thanks for the info. You left me some tips for landing on the mains a long while back on yt and I'm going to get on that as well.
baylor703 is offline   Reply With Quote