WAR emergency power - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-12-2019, 06:26 AM   #21
grafspee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ala13_ManOWar View Post
People said it was fixed with 2.5.5, but didn't try myself.

S!
i noticed that oil temp is not rising as fast as it used to be when running mw50 but is it fixed i dont know
grafspee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 02:26 PM   #22
Hiromachi

I've been having a lot of engine failures recently, without even touching WEP. There is not an evening I fly, that at a completely random situation my engine instantly stops. And before anyone says something about mismanagement or overheating it, I've been flying this thing for 5 years, I dont think that climbing at 200 mph or cruising at 44" MAP/ 2700 RPM should produce such effects.

So I'm not certain that there was a fix in 2.5.5.
AMD Ryzen 2700X @ 4.4 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 16 GB DDR4 3500 Mhz Cl14 / GTX 1080Ti @ 2010 Mhz core / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Asus Strix Raid DLX / AOC AG352UCG / VIRPIL T-50CM / MFG Crosswinds / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7
http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic110693_1.gif
Hiromachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 02:30 PM   #23
Schmidtfire

+1

P-51D engine is extremely sensitive. Is it like this in real life? I never fly P-51D in DCS because of this. Such a shame since it is a cool aircraft and ED did great job on the flight model
Schmidtfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 02:48 PM   #24
fencible

Look, just get used to manually fully opening your radiators when approaching combat (map the rad controls to your HOTAS), and no more over-heating worries in combat. Keep RPMs at about 2700 in combat, also - and 2650 in the Spit.

I fly the P51 quite a bit and am able to avoid engine overheating in this manner - same goes for the Spit. But i have to anticipate the need in the P51, because it takes a long time to open the oil cooler and water rad.

The 109s and 190s have a much more automated engine management and are much less of a headache to fly. The only annoying thing about them is the lack of rudder trim - but you can get used to that.

Last edited by fencible; 06-12-2019 at 02:58 PM.
fencible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 03:06 PM   #25
Shahdoh

If you keep the Mustang over 200 mph, the automatic setting works quite well. Its if you have prolonged periods of time below that speed that auto fails to keep up.

Particularly at lower altitudes, running around with a full radiator is slowing down your top speed with the drag the COOLANT radiator produces. The Oil radiator door does not suffer the same issue though.

And you are right, it DOES take a long time for the COOLANT radiator door to open/close, a full 20 seconds in fact. The Oil radiator door only takes 5-6 seconds though.
Shahdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 05:46 PM   #26
Magic Zach

I always open my doors manually. I usually leave the coolant door alone, but when I climb (and I mean 3,500-4,000ft/m climb) I have to fully open the oil door.
Though, even in level flight, the door will not regulate temperature very well, and will sit past thr green area. It frustrates me that in auto, neither doors use their full range of motion.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:20 PM   #27
Hiromachi

I dont play with radiators. It was not recommended during ww2 and it shouldnt be a requirement. Point I'm trying to make is that those engine failures are peculiar in that engine seizes instantly without a warning, with temps only going up AFTER it seized. I've noticed that needle at air coolant gauge keeps climbing after engine stops, going beyond red limit and to the end of the scale.

I've also had a number of failures when I was diving so more than satisfactory cooling was provided.
AMD Ryzen 2700X @ 4.4 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 16 GB DDR4 3500 Mhz Cl14 / GTX 1080Ti @ 2010 Mhz core / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Asus Strix Raid DLX / AOC AG352UCG / VIRPIL T-50CM / MFG Crosswinds / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7
http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic110693_1.gif
Hiromachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:23 PM   #28
Shahdoh

There are other reasons for engine failure than just overheating, but since we do not get a detailed report on what failed or why, we can only guess.
Shahdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:35 PM   #29
grafspee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahdoh View Post
There are other reasons for engine failure than just overheating, but since we do not get a detailed report on what failed or why, we can only guess.
you know that acording to p-51 manual aditional checking was required by ground crew after breaking stop wire on the throttle and after 10 hours of acumulated WEP operation engine had to be disamantled for full check. So if in real life engine would be as reliable as this one in dcs no single engine would made it to 10 hours of acumulated WEP operation.
then in manual would say something like this do not use WEP if you want live another day
right now chance of engine seizure it way to high

Last edited by grafspee; 06-12-2019 at 07:39 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:37 PM   #30
grafspee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiromachi View Post
I dont play with radiators. It was not recommended during ww2 and it shouldnt be a requirement. Point I'm trying to make is that those engine failures are peculiar in that engine seizes instantly without a warning, with temps only going up AFTER it seized. I've noticed that needle at air coolant gauge keeps climbing after engine stops, going beyond red limit and to the end of the scale.

I've also had a number of failures when I was diving so more than satisfactory cooling was provided.
temp still going up is actualy accurate becouse what is temp gage showing is only temp of coolant. There is limited energy that could be transfered betweent engine block and coolant so even if coolant temp is not high it doesnt mean that somewhere inside engine is everythign ok.
so when engine stops suddenly you can see that coolant temp will still climb since there is no coolant flow there is couple places extremly hot in the engine