Combined Arms Tournament. Please, vote... - ED Forums

Notices

View Poll Results: What type of Combined Arms tournament would you like to have?
Combined Arms only 2 4.76%
Combined Arms & Helicopters 28 66.67%
Both ideas are good. We could do one at a time 10 23.81%
Bad tournament idea. Please, no 2 4.76%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-04-2019, 08:13 AM   #1
Alpenwolf

Default Combined Arms Tournament. Please, vote...

Would you guys be interested in a CA Tournament?
Say 20 players on each side and each player drives a tank or an APC of his choise. They fight until one coalition is completely destroyed. Or maybe each coalition needs to protect some vital structures and losing these results in losing the battle.
No AI ground units.
Maybe Combined Arms (APC's only) and helicopters (Mi-8's and UH-1's only) altogether? And if the ground units are human driven then that gives the Hips and the Huey's the chance to score some kills and actually survive the gunshots. Unlike sniper AI ground units, where they always seem to land some hits.
If enough people vote for the type of tournament they want to have, I'll design one. Otherwise, pretend this never happened

Cold War 1947 - 1991
Helicopters Tournaments
You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com
Alpenwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 02:16 PM   #2
patogn20

Brilliant idea. Helicopters where conceived to support ground troops. There's no other way.

Helos + CA all the way
patogn20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 02:21 PM   #3
Agresor

Quote:
Originally Posted by patogn20 View Post
Brilliant idea. Helicopters where conceived to support ground troops. There's no other way.

Helos + CA all the way
Agresor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 05:29 PM   #4
Alpenwolf

Just to be clear, this is not replacing the regular helicopters tournaments, even if the voting should determine to have CA and helicopters altogether.

Cold War 1947 - 1991
Helicopters Tournaments
You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com
Old 03-04-2019, 06:25 PM   #5
ECV56_FOXONE

CA only is like play ARMA 3 PvP mission with airships only. CA is a suplement to a good Flight Simulator= DCS. CA+Helos is the best option.
ECV56_FOXONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 07:38 PM   #6
Varis

Please bear in mind that helicopters can be limited for operational envelope - weapon choices, deployment, etc.

I have some doubts a 100% player driven BMP destruction derby would be serious fun with DCS. But as an occasional/experimental event it'd be the bee's knees. You have to iterate and adapt the idea.

Eventually player controlled ground forces could be combined to the regular heli tournament.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patogn20 View Post

Helos + CA all the way
Was having a bit of the same train of thought after HT4. Helo vs helo is a bit artificial - though it's a fine and fun tournament format, of course.

Anyway, you're probably the best person to make this work, please do it!

SA-342 Ka-50 Mi-8 AJS-37 F-18 AV-8B-N/A Mig-15bis CA --- How to learn DCS --- Heli tournament 4

Last edited by Varis; 03-04-2019 at 07:47 PM.
Varis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 02:06 AM   #7
Rolds

I think there's a lot of ways this could be good. Maybe for the first test, have an objective that both sides are trying to capture, like a factory in one of the caucuses city, and on both sides have stockpiled multiple armored vics so that when a CA player dies they have to grab a new one and drive it into the AO (avoid having CA players in for a couple minutes then sitting out the rest of the round, plus I don't think we will actually find that many CA players.) Oh, and make it so that you can't control vics through the F10, each one needs to be player controlled. I can't remember if this can be enforced in the editor but hopefully yes.

And for the first trial run maybe stick to thinner skinned vehicles that pack a punch like the TOW HMMV but avoid tanks, since rocket armed helis have a really hard time taking out a tank.

Maybe some light ground support aircraft could be also be included, like SU25 (unguided weapons only), L39, CC101? Anything where they're trying to drop unguided weapons.

I think doing this in an urban area would be hilarious.
Rolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 01:05 PM   #8
Alpenwolf

A total of 20 users have voted as of now. That's like a whole coalition. We still need more voters (numbers) to make sure we'll get enough participants.
We've got time though...

Cold War 1947 - 1991
Helicopters Tournaments
Old 03-05-2019, 04:16 PM   #9
Baco

I Thinks is brilliant. The main role of Helicopters is to support ground trrops. It gives the mission a tactical depth that the current Tournament does not have.
Baco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 05:06 PM   #10
Alpenwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baco View Post
I Thinks is brilliant. The main role of Helicopters is to support ground trrops. It gives the mission a tactical depth that the current Tournament does not have.
No doubt. Which is why I called it a helicopters "tournament". Not really simulating anything in particular. More like testing skills and creating scenarios that can only exist in the virtual world.
The tournament with CA and helicopters (looks like it from the vote so far) might become something with a touch of realism to it. The first round will be a test for me as a mission designer and of course for all participants as pilots and ground forces coordinating attacks. So no expectations whatsoever. Let it happen first and we'll see how it plays out.

Cold War 1947 - 1991
Helicopters Tournaments