Unrealistic slew is even less usable than realistic slew - ED Forums

Notices

Old 07-17-2019, 10:56 AM   #1
andyn

Question Unrealistic slew is even less usable than realistic slew

As everyone should know, the Hornet comes with an option that allows the player to toggle between two different modes of slewing imaging seeker Maverick missiles. AFAIK the mode has been added because of deficiencies in slew sticks in various HOTAS products. However, simultaneously slewing and pressing the TDC hat is difficult even with the famous Delta Sim slew mod.

I feel that the unrealistic setting actually makes slewing harder than it already is in realistic mode. The basic problem is that even after setting large enough deadzones it is too easy to accidentally bump the TDC stick, and I don't have any motor impairments. Normally with the radar and SA formats this is not an issue, as small inputs have a negligible impact on the cursor.

The main problem is that Mavericks ground stabilize the moment the cursor is slewed, and I constantly find myself having to mash the cage key to recenter the seeker. Even then, recentering often stops halfway because of new inputs to the stick. How do you cope with it? Should a single TDC depression be required to uncage & ground stabilize the seeker before any slew inputs are accepted?
andyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 01:13 PM   #2
Deano87

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyn View Post
As everyone should know, the Hornet comes with an option that allows the player to toggle between two different modes of slewing imaging seeker Maverick missiles. AFAIK the mode has been added because of deficiencies in slew sticks in various HOTAS products. However, simultaneously slewing and pressing the TDC hat is difficult even with the famous Delta Sim slew mod.

I feel that the unrealistic setting actually makes slewing harder than it already is in realistic mode. The basic problem is that even after setting large enough deadzones it is too easy to accidentally bump the TDC stick, and I don't have any motor impairments. Normally with the radar and SA formats this is not an issue, as small inputs have a negligible impact on the cursor.

The main problem is that Mavericks ground stabilize the moment the cursor is slewed, and I constantly find myself having to mash the cage key to recenter the seeker. Even then, recentering often stops halfway because of new inputs to the stick. How do you cope with it? Should a single TDC depression be required to uncage & ground stabilize the seeker before any slew inputs are accepted?
Bigger dead zone and when you don’t want to actively aim the maverick then make the HUD sensor of choice by pressing sensor select switch forward.

Proud owner of:
Deltasim - Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade.
Real Simulator - FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick
PointCTRL VR - Finger Trackers for VR
Mach3Ti Ring - Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Screenshots
Deano87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 01:41 PM   #3
hornblower793

I find the Delta Sim mod easy to use.

In addition to Deano87's good suggestions I also straighten my finger slightly so it is off the slew control - no touch = no movement
hornblower793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 02:26 PM   #4
GTFreeFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornblower793 View Post
I find the Delta Sim mod easy to use.

In addition to Deano87's good suggestions I also straighten my finger slightly so it is off the slew control - no touch = no movement

...so the solution to this is we must extend our middle finger. Works great for all sorts of scenarios.
GTFreeFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 02:31 PM   #5
hornblower793

Indeed, but far too polite to consider some other uses
hornblower793 is offline   Reply With Quote