Aries Radio System

towsim

@flankerOne

At the moment we have to accept a known bug in DCS World. The frequency selection shifts the frequency by 10 MHz. If you hear the terrible sound then the resulting frequency set is outside the admissible range for Amplitude Modulation (AM) or Frequency Modulation (FM) , which causes the sound.

I just made the check for the radio selector and the PTT + select. The behavior is as intended in my DCS World version which is the latest published.

@OttoPus

I apologize, if I speak even about the simple thing, because I don't know your actual configuration.

Open the Airborne Radio configuration program (ARD icon)

The behavior of the PTT + select in the setup program depends of the definition of Common PTT. It is not possible to use 'Common PTT' and' PTT + select' together. If you want the PTT function together with the' box select', make sure, that Common PTT is not defined. Means, that there is no definition in the 'Button/Key' column for Common PTT. If there is one, press the 'arm' button of Common PTT. You will notice, that the definition disappears from the edit field. Unpress the 'arm' button to take over the deletion.

To be sure , that there is no misunderstanding, the select + PTT means, that you have to push and hold the selected device button as long as you speak.

If you still have troubles, please send the file DCS World\AriesWings\AriesAirborneRadio.ini to support@ariescon.com. I will check if there is a mismatch in there (even for FlankerOne).

Regards

Mike

Thanks, now the way it should work is very clear.

A bit tricky for newcomers though :)

I'll try it ASAP, thank you for the support.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because of some requests on the support channel, I made a revised version of AriesRadio.luac.

The following bug fixes are made:

• If a manual frequency is selected on the Aries radio panel, it is ensured, that it is the same frequency as stored in the corresponding radio box. You may see another value on the cockpit box display, but the valid frequency is that, seen on the Aries radio panel. This is a circumnavigation of the current frequency bug in DCS World. So if a tanker frequency is set with the Aries radio panel, it is ensured, that you are on the right frequency. In single player mode you can be sure, that you are on the right frequency to contact ATC.
  • The KA50 SPU-9 radio selector dial button was fixed so as to handle the right radio selected in the Aries radio panel or with the SPU-9 dial button.

To install the fixed version, simply copy the attached AriesRadio.luac (in AriesRadio.zip) to the DCS World\AriesWings folder. It replaces the existing file there.

I will delete the internal frequency monitor as soon as DCS has fixed the frequency bug.

Regards,

Mike

AriesRadio.zip

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...

There is one in the queue but it will take a couple of weeks more. We are working on the radar extension which will be partly an add on in the AirborneRadio.dll. This is mainly the transport of IFF/SIF data and the direction finder strobe to the different radar screens. A second task is the promised rework of the configuration program. The new version will be released together with the new GCI radar.

Regards

Mike

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...

There are a lot of news. The next radio version is almost done. It was a conceptual change to offer a clean interface over a LAN, not only for radios, even for additional gauges up to the possibility to control an aircraft remotely from another computer. For the next version the radio, IFF/SIF, TACAN and ILS (if the aircraft is equipped) will be shown in a complete independent window, which can be started on any computer in the LAN. IFF/SIF is included because of the coming GCI radar. IFF/SIF will be an integral part in the radar procedures. The additional display of the panels is not mandatory. The radio will even work without the window. This is the possibility to use Aries Radio and DCS in non windowed mode. The open interface even allows to connect a smart phone via WLAN to control the radio. But this step, for Android and Windows Phone, is still in the planning phase. The attached pictures show the new independent panel window and a first impression of the GCI radar. The radar mode displayed is a combination of raw video target display and secondary radar display. The antenna is located at Sochi and has a range of 60 NM. Terrain masking is supported in dependence of antenna and target location. For the moment, all supported aerodromes in the simulation have an antenna at their aerodrome. They can be selected for use out of a menu. The entire target display is in strict dependence of the antenna used. Secondary radar uses real interrogation of targets. Even mode 4 is supported. The aircraft with an APX72 system onboard receive a visual and audio 'ping' if an interrogation is answered under mode 4 conditions. The radar has an integrated radio communication and is not in any dependence of DCS .

The next step is the release of Aries Radio V 2.0. The GCI Radar will follow short after it.

panelWindow.thumb.jpg.8408e58f1e5babf1e5824e9eeb9a8613.jpg

GCI.thumb.jpg.f70287cc5800e8a749a6718db42d5473.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This is looking great. I'm really looking forward to the Andorid interface as well, as I currently have two monitors, one for DCS World and one for Helios and so I haven't really got anywhere left to display anything else :)

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

Will AriesRadio 2.0 have distortion and filtering effects for "realistic" sounding comms, like TARS? I really like that with TARS... but Aries is so much easier to manage and integrate.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Aries Radio already covers most of the features:

• Individual volume control for each radio box.
  • Radio box assignment for left or right headphone.
  • Distance and altitude dependent energy degradation with white noise background and connection interrupts.
  • Transmission end click.
  • Frequency interference. If two parties talk at the same time on a frequency, all other listener will hear interference noise only.
  • Type dependent background noise. This feature was too weak in the first version. It was not audible because of own engine noise. It will be adjusted for the version 2.0.
  • For version 2.0 in addition we implemented terrain masking. It causes connection interrupts if the line of sight is cut by mountains or similar objects.
  • In addition we will have a audible white noise background on all frequencies.

So most of the different audible modification are implemented from what I heard daily over 30 years. If I miss something, please let me know. The new version is not released up to now. Additional features could probably be added.

Regards,

Mike

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Great news!Can't wait to try it out...

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

If I miss something, please let me know. The new version is not released up to now. Additional features could probably be added.

Regards,

Mike

Hi Mike,

I think you missed the "equalization" effect or the bandpass effect. Don't really know what it is called. However its's the effect of the limited frequencies in the speach spectrum actually getting transmitted and recieved. Result is what is heard when using a typical VHF radio, The top and bottom frequencies are cut off. Probably by using a band pass filter.

Like this, what I use in Audacity when I make voiceovers for DCS missions.

Equalization.jpg.c4cfffea5b2c6dc048113d2184dcf343.jpg

It would be really great to have this in Aries and I hope you will include it soon.

Keep up the good work.:)

You are right. This effect is hard to simulate but I will have a look. It is mainly caused by the use of older radio system. The transport of voice was limited to 8 kHz max at the top. As a result, the listener could not distinguish between the sounds of 'S' and 'F', because these two spoken letters need frequencies far above 8 kHz to be clearly recognized. Therefore, one of the first things a pilot and a controller gets instructed is the use of specific pronunciation for often used words. One example is the number three. In radiotelephony the number three has to be pronounced as tree to avoid the 'th' at the begin. Since TeamSpeak basically samples with 48 khz , the entire voice package has to be feed into a Fourier Analysis to filter the Frequencies above 8 kHz. I will look for a acceptable possibility in regard to calculation performance. If I find a band pass filter, I will build it in.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sounds promising, low cut should be around 300 Hz... at least that is what I use in my current TS3 plug in.

Shagrat

• 3 weeks later...

Here a quick impression of the coming GCI radar application (under construction). It was possible to generate a topographical map as OGL object, made of 1.2 million triangles. The image shows the radar, configured with the code table, range marks, the compass rose, the window in window (Sochi) and the topographical map. The map is not useful for controlling purposes. But it provides important information of the environment around a target area. It will even be used for preflight planning to show flight plan tracks and target objects. The map can be switched on and off and covers the entire simulation area. In difference to normal maps, the map made by Aries Wings is adapted precisely in 3D to the terrain profile of DCS. The horizontal resolution is 30 m and the vertical resolution is 1 m.

DCSterrain5.thumb.jpg.fdd58528ea91f5cda6c824132801713c.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]