Do you need a quadrant to fly it properly?

hmleao

Help me out please, guys. I'm interested in the module and went on to do some research as I always do, considering that where I live these modules are pretty expensive. In the video of one of the bigger YouTube channels of DCS, the guy suggested a quadrant for engine management. I just want to confirm if that's the case because I play on a simple t-16000 and I don't think I have a lot of axis for this. In the Chuck's manual looks like that's the case. Just want to know if anyone play without problems with a simpler stick or I'll buy another bird. Thanks in advance.

I just have the prop up and down bound to a button and the turbo linked to the throttle. You can link the prop too if you don’t want to think about it. It’s up to you how complicated you want to go.

Modules: A10C, F5, F14, F16, F18, F86, AV8B, UH1, Mi8, Ka50, FC3, Supercarrier, CA, P47, P51

So, I could use it without problems with only one axis for the throttle and link the other stuff to it? Sorry for asking something that looks like your answer already. It's just that I don't know what the stuff do. I'll have to learn it.

Yea, it works just fine with a simple joystick. However if they change/update engine damage model it might get a bit tricky.

If I understand it correctly overboosting and turbo overspeeding, engine temp, oil and inlet temperature can all lead to failure. Together with water injection, gun sight ranging and targeg size there is alot of stuff to manage. :-[

Huey. Intel X5660 4,2ghz, 24gb ddr3, gtx 1060 6gb

AJS37. Cyborg evo

Yak 52. Opentrack ir

KA-50

P-47

Up to about 30k feet linking the turbo lever with throttle is sufficient really and the plane can be pretty much flown as Mustang, using only two axes for engine control: throttle and RPM. Let's be honest, you're not going to fly it higher on daily basis anyway.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Linking the boost and throttle above 10,000ft doesn't surge your MP? I find I have to switch from using throttle to using boost for power when I get above 10,000ft or so, and there is often a wide difference between my throttle position and boost position when doing so.

I'm sure it depends on weather conditions and max MP one wants to get. Yesterday on NTTR map , spring weather, about 15 degress OAT at SL, I did a sightseeing flight in D-40, climbing to 30k ft while maintaining max cruise setting of 48" all the time. The turbo RPM only got closer to 22k when I was near 31k ft, so I never had to un-link the levers. I guess I would have to do so If I wanted to push for full power.

On the other hand I remember un-likning at lower altitudes when I was trying out D-30 after it was released. But even then it happened not lower than about 25k ft.

10k sounds awfully low, I don't say it's wrong, but I'm just surprised and curious. What map and weather conditions combo you use while making your test flights?

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

I'm sure it depends on weather conditions and max MP one wants to get. Yesterday on NTTR map , spring weather, about 15 degress OAT at SL, I did a sightseeing flight in D-40, climbing to 30k ft while maintaining max cruise setting of 48" all the time. The turbo RPM only got closer to 22k when I was near 31k ft, so I never had to un-link the levers. I guess I would have to do so If I wanted to push for full power.

On the other hand I remember un-likning at lower altitudes when I was trying out D-30 after it was released. But even then it happened not lower than about 25k ft.

10k sounds awfully low, I don't say it's wrong, but I'm just surprised and curious. What map and weather conditions combo you use while making your test flights?

Normandy, low 20s, turbo gauge always shooting the needle to around 5 around 8,000~10,000 feet. I can't maintain a stable MP without the boost suddenly kicking in and throwing it up near 50.

Ah, got it. We're talking about different issues then. MAP management with turbo on down low is indeed a bit of a PITA, already during takeoff :D. But after flying P-40 in Il-2GB series I got used to handling a plane without a MAP regulator and DCS Thunderbolt is just more of the same in this particular aspect.

Whether one wants to link the levers or not, he will need to keep checking the gauge and moving some lever all the time anyway. That's why I think It's not much of a difference for OP and he should be able to fly the plane even with his current joystick.

I use a Warthog and using the left throttle for boost and right for throttle. It works really good and is simple to join them. I don't have to mess with that fiddly switch to join them on the plane.

Yeah same here. L also use the slider for the prop

It's easy to use PageUp/PageDown for prop pitch and Delete/End for Boost. Also you can flip the latch on the boost lever (align it with the throttle first) and it will follow the throttle, which 90% of the time is what you want it to do. No need to replicate these controls in hardware, you hardly touch them after startup, other than the throttle lever.

It's easy to use PageUp/PageDown for prop pitch and Delete/End for Boost. Also you can flip the latch on the boost lever (align it with the throttle first) and it will follow the throttle, which 90% of the time is what you want it to do. No need to replicate these controls in hardware, you hardly touch them after startup, other than the throttle lever.

A HOTAS is always easier than the keyboard or mouse. The Warthog has enough on it to never having to touch anything in the cockpit when flying.

I can't say that about modern fighters but it's easy with WW2 planes.

Buzz

really, if you only adjust the throttle after take off you certainly aint getting the most out of your jug. also its best not to interconnect boost and throttle levers, which you shouldnt be doing below 7000ft anyway apart from take off.

Edited by Brigg

really, if you only adjust the throttle after take off you certainly aint getting the most out of your jug. also its best not to interconnect boost and throttle levers, which you shouldnt be doing below 7000ft anyway apart from take off.

This is bad information. This is only applicable with low octane training fuel.

Link the boost lever to the throttle and forget it exists until the one time you get above 30K.

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

Easier than reality. Where's the fun in that? :smilewink:

Why not?

The only rule about the Boost control is to not put it in advance of the throttle position. (And even if you do that, no ill effects are currently modeled.)

Edited by SMH

• ED Team

Absolutely minimum of axes is 2 as for the most of prop planes - linked throttle and turbo will work good at least at moderate altitudes. Maximal climbing to 20k and more requires full throttle and maintaining MP and turbo rpm with turbo lever. RPM lever will be vital necessary because underboost condition when the throttle is closed but the prop rpm is high is very toxic for the main bearing. The typical procedure for power reducing is to gradually reduce MP, then rpm, then MP and so on.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

Absolutely minimum of axes is 2 as for the most of prop planes - linked throttle and turbo will work good at least at moderate altitudes. Maximal climbing to 20k and more requires full throttle and maintaining MP and turbo rpm with turbo lever. RPM lever will be vital necessary because underboost condition when the throttle is closed but the prop rpm is high is very toxic for the main bearing. The typical procedure for power reducing is to gradually reduce MP, then rpm, then MP and so on.

You don't pull the propeller RPM way back to avoid the issue you describe. What happens is that the airflow over the propeller drives the propeller at low MP instead of the engine driving the propeller. This is what causes the issues for the main bearing and the solution is to carry enough power to drive the propeller and to limit the dive speed as necessary. RPM will never be below max endurance cruise and will be well above that when doing anything that might result in an underboost. (Descents, traffic pattern operations and combat).

Keep the MP up and pretty much leave the RPM alone.

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

Is any of this actually modeled? What are the symptoms of main bearing toxicity?

And you hardly need an axis for prop. PgUp/PgDown work fine. You're just scaring away potential customers to suggest otherwise.

Is any of this actually modeled? What are the symptoms of main bearing toxicity?

And you hardly need an axis for prop. PgUp/PgDown work fine. You're just scaring away potential customers to suggest otherwise.

Its not modelled and if it were modelled properly, it really only shows up in the overhaul or maybe in a failure many hours after the under boost event.

I doubt it is possible to induce a engine failure from underboost damage to the main bearing in a single event.

Generally, an engine that has been subjected to long term, repeated underboost technique will have broken rings and damaged ring lands as well as metal in the oil from the master rod bearing. The underboost damage to the master rod bearing is thought to occur because the bearing has force applied to it opposite to its design (relative wind driving the prop and subsequently applying pressure to the bearing in the wrong direction) and lubrication in this area is not provided, resulting in accelerated wear and damage.

• Like 1

EDsignaturefleet.jpg