Reducing sensitivity of buttons on HOTAS Warthog?

Is there any way of doing this?

For example, in F5-E, whatever button I assign to the Radar Antenna Elevation, it is always overly sensitive. A slight press and the elevation moves more than 10 degrees.

Any help appreciated.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Thanks, but I don’t use TARGET. Thought it might be possible in a DCS settings file somewhere.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Yes it can be done....you need to edit your default.lua and all the other lua files in your input folder for the F5 . On the command lines in each file that say..

{ pressed = iCommandPlaneRadarUp, value_pressed = 1.0, name = _('AN/APQ-159 Radar Elevation Antenna Tilt Control - CW/Up'), category = _('AN/APQ-159 Radar Control Panel')},

{ pressed = iCommandPlaneRadarDown, value_pressed = -1.0, name = _('AN/APQ-159 Radar Elevation Antenna Tilt Control - CCW/Down'), category = _('AN/APQ-159 Radar Control Panel')},

change the 1.0 and -1.0 to smaller numbers like 0.1 and -0.1 and the tilt will slow down

Edited by TonyZ

Thanks a lot. That looks like what I was after.

However, I can't get it to work. Is this the file (for 1.5 beta) - C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\F-5E\Input\F-5E\joystick\default.lua?

I changed the values as you suggested to 0.1 and -0.1, but it makes no difference. I then changed to 0.01 and -0.01 and still no difference.

Any ideas?

Yes that is the file but you must also make the change in every other file in that directory or it wont work since the other files settings will conflict with the default.lua file settings you changed. ALL the other controller files must match for those command lines even if you don't have that controller. also 0.1 and -0.1 are the correct numbers and they work great. Very controllable while not being too slow.

Edited by TonyZ

Perfect! Thanks so much What a difference that has made. Don't know why that is not the default value.

Presumably the same technique can be used with any aircraft.

Is there any way of incorporating this into a file in Saved Games to avoid updates overwriting the modified files as happened today?

Is there any way of incorporating this into a file in Saved Games to avoid updates overwriting the modified files as happened today?

If only someone made software for this joystick that allowed users to get them to easily function exactly how they want and never lose their settings again ;)

If only someone made software for this joystick that allowed users to get them to easily function exactly how they want and never lose their settings again ;)

Helpful suggestion!

I put all of my switch mods in a mod folder and use JSGME so they are not lost during updates. I have absolutely no use for TARGET.

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

Yes that is the file but you must also make the change in every other file in that directory or it wont work since the other files settings will conflict with the default.lua file settings you changed. ALL the other controller files must match for those command lines even if you don't have that controller. also 0.1 and -0.1 are the correct numbers and they work great. Very controllable while not being too slow.

You only need to make the change in the file for the device you intend to use for this command. Example: if you want to use a switch on the TM Warthog throttle, you must make the change in the file "Throttle - HOTAS Warthog.lua". There is absolutely no point in replicating the change in any of the other files.

If you want to use a controller for which there is no dedicated file then only the "default.lua" needs to be changed.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Can someone help me here.

I tried both JSGME and OvGME to handle this mod and am totally struggling.

Basically, whenever I activate the mod in either of these apps, I lose the HOTAS binding to the buttons and have to reset in Adjust Controls.

The mod is working, as after I reset the binding, the sensitivity is reduced.

If I then de-activate the mod - in either of the apps - the binding is lost again and I have to reset again.

Why is this happening? I guess it's something I'm not doing correctly.

(I did post about this in the OvGME thread, but didn't get a reply so far.)

Can someone help me here.

I tried both JSGME and OvGME to handle this mod and am totally struggling.

Basically, whenever I activate the mod in either of these apps, I lose the HOTAS binding to the buttons and have to reset in Adjust Controls.

The mod is working, as after I reset the binding, the sensitivity is reduced.

If I then de-activate the mod - in either of the apps - the binding is lost again and I have to reset again.

Why is this happening? I guess it's something I'm not doing correctly.

(I did post about this in the OvGME thread, but didn't get a reply so far.)

This is normal, because you're changing how the bind works within the game DCS just resets it. However, you will not lose the binding if you disable the mod, update the game and then re-enable the mod.

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

This is normal, because you're changing how the bind works within the game DCS just resets it. However, you will not lose the binding if you disable the mod, update the game and then re-enable the mod.

Thanks for that. Could be a real pain if a lot of keys have to be reset. Is it not easier to keep a copy of the modded folders/files and just paste them back whenever there is an update?

Is it not easier to keep a copy of the modded folders/files and just paste them back whenever there is an update?

That is exactly what the mod manager software is doing.

This is what (JSGME or OvGME) is doing when you use it...

Enable mod- the software looks at the file/s in the mod, goes to the location specified by the mod. It then moves the original corresponding file/s to a backup folder, and pastes the moded file/s in their place.

Disable mod- the software looks at the file/s in the mod, goes to the location specified by the mod. Then swaps the moded file/s for the one/s in the backup folder (thus restoring the game to original state before it was moded).

Note** Always disable all mods before allowing DCS to update the game. Failure to do so may result in your mod's being corrupted.

Edited by DeJohn

• 5 weeks later...

Whenever I make the edit on the .lua file and try to save, I get an error message saying that I could not save the document because access to the file path is denied. I am the administrator of my computer account, so not sure what the issue is. Has anyone else come across this and know a fix?

System Specs || CPU: Intel i5-4690k 3.5 GHz Quad-core / GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 G1 Gaming 6GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 4GB x 2 / SSD: Samsung Evo 850 500GB and PNY 240GB / OS: Windows 10 Pro

Flight Equipment || Stick: Logitech Extreme 3D Pro / Throttle: CH Pro Throttle / Pedals: MFG Crosswind / View: Track IR 5

Whenever I make the edit on the .lua file and try to save, I get an error message saying that I could not save the document because access to the file path is denied. I am the administrator of my computer account, so not sure what the issue is. Has anyone else come across this and know a fix?

What app are you using to edit it? You have to have the app itself running in admin mode. If you use Notepad++, it will prompt you to use admin mode.

You don't provide a lot of specifics about what you are doing. But I try a guess:

You have edited the .lua file with Notepad++ (or any other suitable editor), the .lua file is on your programs disk (C:\Programs...) and you have not started the editor in admin mode.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

You don't provide a lot of specifics about what you are doing. But I try a guess:

You have edited the .lua file with Notepad++ (or any other suitable editor), the .lua file is on your programs disk (C:\Programs...) and you have not started the editor in admin mode.

This is almost certainly the root of the problem. It does not matter whether your account has admin privileges if the file involved is in protected space ( i.e. C\Program Files ). This is one of the reasons that I never install games in the default folder.

Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

As I said above, Notepad++ prompts you to run it in admin mode when you try to save in 'Program Files', so I guess he's not using that.

As I said above, Notepad++ prompts you to run it in admin mode when you try to save in 'Program Files', so I guess he's not using that.

That is good to know. I have never been in that situation but it is nice that they have that issue covered.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

That is good to know. I have never been in that situation but it is nice that they have that issue covered.

This is yet another reason to use Notepad+ for editing game files.

If I remember well, I had to set up Notepad++ so that it prompts me.

Irrespective of that, if you open the .lua file by double-clicking on it (which I do quite often) you don't get the prompt.

LeCuvier