Unveiling the VKB TECS Throttle Control System

UIV

• ED Team

Guys I have had a little tidy up in the thread, please stay on topic and discuss the VKB TECS Throttle only.

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This throttle certainly looks interesting but I wonder if I'll be able to use it easily to fly the A-10, as it doesn't appear to have the same number of hats, switches, etc. on the throttle as the Warthog. I don't really care about what controls are on the base, as it's not that hard to build a switch/button box if necessary but building the actual throttle levers and the controls on them is beyond me, and most people I imagine.

The other aircraft I'd like to fly is the F-16 and whilst the Cougar throttle is obviously ideal for that I don't have room (or funds) for multiple throttles, so when choosing which one to buy I'm looking at whether it will lend itself to being used easily with different aircraft.

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

Before someone's feelings get hurt for not understanding that text written on a forum does not convey tone... this is not directed at any one person or post.

This throttle certainly looks interesting but I wonder if I'll be able to use it easily to fly the A-10, as it doesn't appear to have the same number of hats, switches, etc. on the throttle as the Warthog...

I keep seeing this over and over again (not exclusively in this thread or forum or throttle) and I really don't understand what the problem is. This isn't an A-10 throttle, this isn't the Thrustmaster Warthog. If you want that so bad, you already have it. If ultra realism is your thing, then don't buy this. I don't know if it's official but I understand that VKB wants to make modular grips so I'm sure that if there is enough demand for an A-10 grip, they will make one. This is not it.

They make the MCG now which has WAY more buttons than the real A-10 stick, so anything that you don't have room for on the throttle you can put there. Again, if you are so against using anything other than the Warthog grip, you've made your choice. Don't buy it.

Then there is the fact that I'm sure you will be able to either use a mode switch or a shift button with their software, which means you can DOUBLE the hats to have a total of 4 4-way (with push I assume) and 4 2-way switches plus 4 buttons at the thumb. That's WAY more than the A-10 has or needs. To say you can't use this to fly the A-10 is just being stubborn. Is it perfect? Probably not. But either figure it out, wait for an A-10 specific grip, or just use the already available replica.

Do I think the grip could use more functions? Maybe. I'd personally really like a rotary at the thumb like the X-55 to be used for zoom. But to keep comparing this to a throttle that already exists is a little excessive. No, it's not an A-10 throttle. No, it's not supposed to be.

And hurry up and take my money. :pilotfly:

Edited by Sideslip

System specs: i7 3820 @4.75Ghz, Asus P9X79LE, EVGA GTX1080SC @2100mhz, 16GB Gskil DDR3 @ 2000mhz, 512GB 960EVO m.2, 2 X 512GB 860EVO SATA3 in RAID0, EVGA Supernova 850W G2, Phantek Entho Luxe White. CPU and GPU custom water-cooled with 420mm rad and lots of Noctua fans.

ASUS PG348Q. VKB Gladiator Pro w/MCG, X-55 throttle and MFG Crosswind.

This throttle certainly looks interesting but I wonder if I'll be able to use it easily to fly the A-10, as it doesn't appear to have the same number of hats, switches, etc. on the throttle as the Warthog. I don't really care about what controls are on the base, as it's not that hard to build a switch/button box if necessary but building the actual throttle levers and the controls on them is beyond me, and most people I imagine.

The other aircraft I'd like to fly is the F-16 and whilst the Cougar throttle is obviously ideal for that I don't have room (or funds) for multiple throttles, so when choosing which one to buy I'm looking at whether it will lend itself to being used easily with different aircraft.

Compared to the Warthog, it looks like it primarily short the mini joystick, otherwise everything is there and a little more. I see what appears to be an antenna elevation wheel, which is a good thing for many aircraft. I don't fly the A-10C very much, so I think I could live with the throttle for that purpose, and it would in many cases be a better throttle for flying other aircraft. I am very interested in this throttle!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Compared to the Warthog, it looks like it primarily short the mini joystick, otherwise everything is there and a little more. I see what appears to be an antenna elevation wheel, which is a good thing for many aircraft. I don't fly the A-10C very much, so I think I could live with the throttle for that purpose, and it would in many cases be a better throttle for flying other aircraft. I am very interested in this throttle!

It also lacks two 3-pos switches (A-10/F-15 has four), and we don't know if those 3-pos switches that VKB installed are momentary or toggle. Most western aircraft have at least one 3-pos mode switch on the throttle itself.

This one has more buttons though, and the elevation axis is a very welcome addition.

Basically it's a throttle made after modern Russian jet (of which in the sim we have, um.... zero). Trying to mimic USAF style HOTAS with it will always require some compromises. No one here said it couldn't be done, it's just not always very practical.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

few more switches would be good for those who don't want to buy front module. so that we can use these switches as flap and landing gear levers.

and i agree, more hats are always welcomed. because, a single hat means 4 buttons!

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

I don't even remember did I add my comment about this, but one of the things that I love in G940 throttle is the 2x4 button colored LED button layout front of the throttles:

logitech-g940-2.jpg

One of the reasons is that you can make nice two groups of 4 buttons in each like in a KA-50 you have right side of 4 buttons to be the AP channels. And then the four on left side be the weapon panel (Auto-Turn, Moving Target, A/A etc). And then with multiplier you get them as well operate separately on "Left" and "Right" side mentally.

Then when going ie. to Su-25T, it is easy to do different layout mentally, top 4 buttons are for flight modes (NAV, AG, AA, Emergency HUD) and then bottom row is for a normal flight operations. Then with bindings the 4 button group on right side turns to be a Left/Right engine management and 4 button group on left for landing (top left = LNDG flaps, bottom left = LNDG gear, top right = Chute, bottom right = wheel break)

The 2x4 button layout helps a lot to change a mental layout of the buttons and functions across all different modules with the multipliers. In VR this is great as you can easily just take hand down and immediately spot what button you are pressing. And with multipliers like pinky switch on stick means "Flight Operations" as stick is what you use to fly the aircraft, while a modifier in throttle is for weapons management. And so far only the KA-50 is the only module that has required me to use a third modifier for the datalink management and as left hand is on throttle, it must be on stick too.

This IMHO has been huge advantage to me over any other throttle as the layout of 2x4 buttons is so clear and easy, that I am tear apart between this and Virpil design as the Virpil has the same 2x4 button layout!

The layout is so generic that you can build a mental mapping to almost any aircraft functions. Like with Viggen you can set the two buttons in row to operate specific dials, upper moves to right, bottom moves to left. And then you set each pair from left to right either in the required order you need to do it in cockpit, or you position them on left/right side as you see them in cockpit.

And this has helped a lot with some modules that I haven't flied for long time as I don't remember what I need to press and do, until I get in cockpit and I just remember that "multiplier for flight" and then I can just look the cockpit and it comes from muscle memory right away what I need to do in given order as I spent half hour in the first time to map the HOTAS for the module.

This VKB throttle now looks more to me that it is not possible such way, but requires the more common way that one switch/button = one function and then you need to find them to each places. And using multipliers actually can be more demanding as every button or switch is only in pairs and then each pair has different kind buttons and switches next to them.

But then again less multipliers can be good if there is enough buttons and switches to get all without one, what requires full throttle to be bought! :D

And this is the great thing with these "third party" manufacturers like now VKB and Virpil (as I see them such, because they are not so famous for general people like Logitech, Saitek, Thrustmaster) that we have got these "underdogs" to deliver something very unique and great that blows all these others away. And you buy these HOTAS systems from them for your life.... I seriously believe that these HOTAS systems these are manufacturing are ones that we talk in the next 15-20 years and we have our childs (and some has their grandchild's) to remember them "Oh, and he/she had this amazing HOTAS" while all these popular options are forgotten after second generation comes to market.

So for the price that the manufacturers here are asking, is to me more of the investment than a fun factor. One can go and buy a Thrustmaster HOTAS just for fun for a year, while these are for serious "collectors items" and totally worth the money.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Before someone's feelings get hurt for not understanding that text written on a forum does not convey tone... this is not directed at any one person or post.

I keep seeing this over and over again (not exclusively in this thread or forum or throttle) and I really don't understand what the problem is. This isn't an A-10 throttle, this isn't the Thrustmaster Warthog. If you want that so bad, you already have it. If ultra realism is your thing, then don't buy this. I don't know if it's official but I understand that VKB wants to make modular grips so I'm sure that if there is enough demand for an A-10 grip, they will make one. This is not it.

They make the MCG now which has WAY more buttons than the real A-10 stick, so anything that you don't have room for on the throttle you can put there. Again, if you are so against using anything other than the Warthog grip, you've made your choice. Don't buy it.

THAT!

If you are A-10C fan.... You must buy the Thrustmaster Warthog... There is no question about it! That is the ONLY HOTAS that you should own just for that aircraft as it is exactly for its operations!

The same is with why Thrustmaster comes out with the grip for that HOTAS to be used with DCS: F/A-18C so you just keep going.

Everyone else is doing more or less generic ones. Logitech (Saitek) is one of them, while still trying to somewhat mimic something.

And then there are like Virpil and VKB that throws in even the kitchen sink just so you can go and map things across different modules.

My habit and logic requires a generic HOTAS, as I want to keep my hands on them more than other. I don't want to move hand to mouse and use it, as it breaks the immersion. That is as well why I want VR experience be such that I can just look the switch/button and press button on HOTAS to click it. That works fairly well but we would need a dynamic cursor in HMD so it would move up/down depending the angle we look downward or upward as currently it is from impossible to very difficult to press buttons and flip switches that are rear from the knees as the crosshair is locked to center. Yes, you can again go and move the mouse cursor somewhere else but it is again using the mouse, so no go.

And having something like the VKB MCG is crazy as you get so many functions in single stick that with modifier you can have almost everything else with it! :D

And this throttle has so much functions that I can't even yet spend time to start thinking how I would bind things for it as all is just in pairs. Like two buttons and two flip switches next to each other?

But lucky to us, we have a way to do easily (non-soldering required) a custom button boxes with the famous board, all required is to get the box/board, buttons/switches and then wire and make such as we want.

And yet I can't do more than just admire these work that manufacturers like VKB is doing, as you can see there is behind all of it a deep passion to simulation flight.

Something that I experienced only in 90's when flight simulation was the thing before Doom and Quake were out and gaming on PC was more for adults and younger ones spent on their home computers front of the TV with stick with two buttons....

...That is as well why I want VR experience be such that I can just look the switch/button and press button on HOTAS to click it. That works fairly well but we would need a dynamic cursor in HMD so it would move up/down depending the angle we look downward or upward as currently it is from impossible to very difficult to press buttons and flip switches that are rear from the knees as the crosshair is locked to center...

Nah. What you really need is a pair of tracked gloves with pressure sensors in the index finger and thumb so that you just reach for the switch, put your fingers together, move the switch or turn the knob, and let go. We can dream can't we? Probably in the next 10 years.

System specs: i7 3820 @4.75Ghz, Asus P9X79LE, EVGA GTX1080SC @2100mhz, 16GB Gskil DDR3 @ 2000mhz, 512GB 960EVO m.2, 2 X 512GB 860EVO SATA3 in RAID0, EVGA Supernova 850W G2, Phantek Entho Luxe White. CPU and GPU custom water-cooled with 420mm rad and lots of Noctua fans.

If this isn't a suitable substitute to the Warthog throttle for use with the A-10/F-16/western aircraft then that's fine. I've just seen a fair few complaints about the build quality of the Warthog so was hoping I might be able to buy something better built and I've seen people say they're looking forward to the VKB throttle so that they can use that instead of the Warthog, so I was just asking if that will be practical. I don't care if it's not exactly the same as the Warthog (which I've never used, so I'm not accustomed to it) as I want something that I can use with several aircraft, so of course it's going to be a compromise but if it's lacking controls I'll need so that I have to do something awkward to replicate them or take my hands of the throttle to use the mouse then I'll have to get the Warthog throttle. Ideally of course I'd buy multiple throttles and a collective with changeable button boxes for the helos but I can't afford that unfortunately (and such collectives don't exist as far as I'm aware)

Then there is the fact that I'm sure you will be able to either use a mode switch or a shift button with their software, which means you can DOUBLE the hats to have a total of 4 4-way (with push I assume) and 4 2-way switches plus 4 buttons at the thumb. That's WAY more than the A-10 has or needs. To say you can't use this to fly the A-10 is just being stubborn. Is it perfect? Probably not. But either figure it out, wait for an A-10 specific grip, or just use the already available replica.

I'm only interested in getting a throttle as I'm going to use my modded FFB2 (with FLCS grip) for the stick, so the throttle has to have sufficient controls on it. Mode shift/shift button is just too confusing for me I'm afraid, I need to have a physical hat/boat/etc. for each cockpit one, even if they're not in the same place as on the real throttle.

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

...Mode shift/shift button is just too confusing for me I'm afraid, I need to have a physical hat/boat/etc. for each cockpit one, even if they're not in the same place as on the real throttle.

Got'cha. But I find if you are consistent and don't over-do it, it can be very manageable. For instance, on my Gladiator all the buttons except eject have the ability for two functions. If I press and release it's 1 button, and if I hold for .4 seconds it's another. I only bind what makes sense like press for engine start and hold for shutdown. So for instance if A-10 has a 3 position speed brake and the throttle switch only has two, then forward would be close, backward is arm and hold back is deploy (I don't know the actual functions).

Anyway, it is what it is, but I think you could suitably bind the controls of any real aircraft HOTAS to the throttle as it is. Jack of all trades, master of none.

Hold Strong for VKB StrongHold!

Modern cockpit should be made in style. Here is a modular (as everything from VKB) comprehensive solution that will fit any desk or table, offer enough adjustments and extensions to support any control equipment from one joystick to full space command post, and will be compact enough to be neatly stored when not in use.

Please note: this is NOT an official announcement. We are working on it, and will produce it rather sooner than later, however there is no set timetable. Everything will come in due time.

sh-5_1.jpg

Modern cockpit should be made in style. Here is a modular (as everything from VKB) comprehensive solution that will fit any desk or table, offer enough adjustments and extensions to support any control equipment from one joystick to full space command post, and will be compact enough to be neatly stored when not in use.

Please note: this is NOT an official announcement. We are working on it, and will produce it rather sooner than later, however there is no set timetable. Everything will come in due time.

sh-5_1.jpg

the keyboard means that a future vkb devices will include simmers oriented keyboard?

will be a foldable feature to hide all that fast? (a must if work from home and married)

this idea looks awesome.

very usable and easy to install home cockpit. it is a must have for a dedicated simmer

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

Damnit guys! Now I've got to change my pants. Thanks a lot blush.gif

Are you planning to make the center mount optional? As in still have the center panel attached to the desk without the joystick. Modular so to speak.

Edited by Sideslip

Would be interested in purchase just the keyboard mount with mounts for other up front modules. Really cool concept if it is module down to that level.

My stick, throttle and pedals are already fastened together on a moveable mount/platform (my WSP), so I am hoping it will be an option to get just the keyboard and other front dash modules to mount to my desk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Let me tell you VKB team. Everything shown in the last picture look amazing. The add of the keyboard and smartphone/Tablet holder look even more amazing. Keep this direction even when could take some extra development time those steps are definitely the right way.

Thanks

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

sh-5_1.jpg

I believe that "KILL ALL" cheat ain' allowed by ED so easily to be accessible as it renders multiplayer too unfair for VKB HOTAS system users.

So I must declare your new TECS illegal in the name of the Grand-Anti-Cheat-Society....

Just hope my Thrustmaster WH lasts until you bring this to market.

Exactly Chief, my same thoughts too. :thumbup:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control