Bomb & Rocket Aiming Tipps

Zabuzard

gunsight.png

I got some problems in hitting targets with bombs and rockets precisely. I'm searching for a reference point on the gunsight but mostly they're hitting way below the sight.

I thought maybe in ~45° dives, like one would do with modern fighters for unguided bombs, the gunsights may be a reference but it also didn't hit the area in the gunsight.

Unfortunately the manual, forum and game don't mention how to aim with these precisely.

Does anyone have an advice or tipps for me how to aim bombs and rockets? :)

There isnt for the bombs or rockets. Its a function of speed and bank and the Myssy had no CCIP predictor sight. bombs were on a more specialized type which is not modelled.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

How about this Dive Bombing video (which suggests a optimum dive angle of 65 - 70 degree)

and these A-36's (a P-51 Mustang variant) in Sicily

appear to use similar dive bombing techniques.

Edited by Ramsay
add the optimum dive angle, fix videos

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Be aware, too, of your plane tracking center, rudder drift---side slip. If you are not centered, bullets and rockets and bombs will not be going straight to the target. Practice a lot to get a feel for it.

I have the P-51D training lessons in my P-51D installation. There is a section concerning using ground weapons. I do not remember if these lessons came with my DCS World download back in Beta or since in a Final Release update or whether I downloaded them myself from here, see left column, Downloads, Videos:

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/

I know I manually downloaded some of the training lessons of my various DCS aircraft.

Edited by DieHard

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 year later...

See my sig for bombing guide... As for rockets - use the horizontal bars below the fixed sight - when your target fits between them , fire

Make sure you watch your yaw trim

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

its best to download 476th vSqn. Range objects, setup a proper mission with gates, and practice for standardization.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

to clear bombs dive I use this point

attachment.php?attachmentid=113295&d=1424378915

Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4 /i9-12900KF /64 Gb- G.SKILL Trident  DDR4 4000 МГц / Palit GeForce RTX 3070 Ti GameRock 8GB /Corsair HX1200 1200W 

DCS A-10C Обучающий урок "Концепция HOTAS" (RU)

DCS P-51D Руководство пилота

Обучающие миссии для Ми-8 (Радиооборудование)

See my sig for bombing guide... As for rockets - use the horizontal bars below the fixed sight - when your target fits between them , fire

Make sure you watch your yaw trim

This is the best tip. Turned my bombing completely around. Thanks doom. Your video is excellent. Have one for rockets?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hmm ... Don't have one for rockets but I can certainly make one.... I'm away this weekend but I'll try to put something together soon

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

Thanks for the tips, worked well.

Made a quick tutorial for dive-bombing (based on that material here) and over-the-shoulder toss bombing (using sabre material)

How about doing one using Rockets? Thanks TC

Win 10 Pro 64bit | Half X F/T Case | Corsair 1200AT ps | Asus ROG Maximums XIII Extreme | I9 11900K Clocked@4200 | Nepton 240 W/C | 64GB DDR4-3600 Gskill Mem | Asus 3080 gpu/8gb | SB-Z audio | Asus 32" 1440 Monitor | Winwing Super Tauras/Super Libra | Crosswind R/P | Track-ir-5 |

• 1 month later...

The rocket marks are on the ring of the fixed reticle and enemie vehicles have a height of about 3m.

The enemy vehicle fits about 3.5 times inside the adjusted ring. Since those reticles rings denote the range 1/10 of enemies size that yields us a range to target of about 105m (3m * 3.5 * 10).

Am I correct or do I miss something here?

Mh...

6XYHotV.jpg

The rocket did hit well. The vehicle fits about 6-8x in the ring and the length of such trucks is about 10m which yields a distance of about 600-800m.

800m? Can this be correct ô.o

Edit: Well im currently not sure it the K-14 fixed reticle is a common 100mil sight (read 70mil in another thread)...

Edited by Zabuza

• 4 months later...

Small update here as I'm doing a video for the rockets.

The horizontal bars in the fixed 70-mil reticle are about 10mils tall. A common target like a truck is about 2,5m high (~8,2 feet).

Using that the target is at distance about 250m (~820 feet) from you when it fits the bars and the rockets hit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
Thanks for the tips, worked well.

Made a quick tutorial for dive-bombing (based on that material here) and over-the-shoulder toss bombing (using sabre material)

does anyone have a guide for this? the youtube annotation thing doesnt show up so im basically just watching him do bomb runs lol.

Unfortunately, I do not have the script anymore. The text is lost.

But I am pretty much just following this:

EmthuZo.jpg

For the toss bombing, just do the immelmann (half loop upwards) without any interruption and release the bombs when you are facing directly upwards.