The Battle of the Stretch Goal

luthier1

no, it wasn't a mistake.

it was the best decision for the future which could be taken considering the sale model they've decided for: a free base game + payments for any other present/future modules.

in order to attract customers, the base module of the game must contain the engine and something flyable for them to test it. the three free aircrafts were one for each major side in the european conflict: germans + british + american, increasing the chances to attract customers via the free base model.

now, probably they could have went for only two airplanes, one for axis and the other for allies, and a spitfire would have been the normal decision for the allies side, as an iconic plane (the other P51 one being already present into DCSW). and that would have left the massive american customers base without an american carrot to drag them in, hence the P47 choice as a 3rd base module free airplane.

including them for free wasn't a bad decision at all, specially considering the long term effect.

removing them and leaving only one has two major problems:

a) as the remaining included airplane will definitely be an allied one (and most probably american), the free players will only join the allied side, creating a huge imbalance in the game.

b) the willingness to remove two from the three base modules free planes shows a bad willingness to ditch long term benefits and actually accept long term base problems in exchange for short term funding, which is at least concerning for me..

+1

This will get RRG a lot of bad reputation, which is especially bad since they have a very capable competition, that has already showed a lot more so far. Plus the whole CloD fiasco...

Well, it's their choice to make in the end and as long as my $40 pledge still gets me all the planes on the release...

Edited by Linx

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One more thought: I Think that focusing about casual gamers is just a waste of time.. They will yet have something arcadish with Battle of Stalingrad and War Thunder!

And don't waste time producing new videos... I know your work is very early stage and you have very little to show us... I don't need nothing to be more confident, just a good project and your Name!

In any case don't let any aircraft for free;)

Best of Luck!

How do you mean this?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yeah, the long-term effect being nobody buys anything. And please stop with the '3, one for each country'. Neither WW2 was about 3 countries nor it is a minimum for creating a scenario with opposing forces. 2 is enough and even 1 could be used with an Aggressor skin. If DCS fidelity doesn't convince someone, nothing will.

Making only 1 airplane free is great! Giving 3 away for 1$ defeats the purpose of hitting the stretch goal entirely.

It doesn't say 3 free planes in the 1$ description of the pledge?

Just change the entire campaign description/goal to 1 free plane. And 40$ gets you 3. The vote here is something like 99% in favor of that.

Bad press?? From whom? The ones that were not planing on paying ever, getting the free planes and dissecting them apart giving more bad press? I can already imagine them with the alpha access. They'll kill you even before you start selling. And for free. This way at least you'll get something from them.

You have nothing to loose here, the only question is how much you will gain.

I would also limit the free airplane to something like no click able cockpit, no 6dof or something like that. Like the Su-25.

Edited by hegykc

Giving out all aircraft for free IS A MISTAKE. Saying that it isn't (and you haven't pledged) puts you into "want everything for free" category and you shouldn't be commenting on this because that is equivalent to wanting others to pay for you... If you want something.. EARN IT

No longer active in DCS...

The last acceptable solution leaning towards those non-contributing would be to transfer those free flyableas to at least $10 pledge. It can't be that even those lobbing *it at the Kickstarter project get the same as backers. An extreme but true case.

Pay for all planes. Think about it.

You can bet your ass there will be 10.000 people worldwide buying WWII modules that have WWII environment and ground units to go with.

That's 400.000$ you're giving away with a DCS level module. That money could pay for a B-17, a bigger map, better core features development. And we're in a niche market, if it goes away for free it will never get back.

EDIT: post intended for the "free plane poll", but what the heck...

+1 on one free aircraft only.

The whole reason to have free aircraft at all is as a demo of what the sim can do.

Any more is just overkill and money out the window. Creating aircraft to DCS level of detail takes time and effort, and people will be more than happy to pay good money for extra aircraft.

Even two free aircraft would be too much. If people had a german and an allied aircraft at their disposal, this is months and months of fun without having to spend a dollar.

Not to mention that many people already own the P-51 and all they really need is a theatre to fly in.

I think coming from an IL-2 mindset makes it hard to believe people might be satisfied with only a few aircraft?

• Like 1

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

As far as I understand it yes, those already pledged gets everything as earlier stated.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

_____________Semper paratus, In hoc signo vinces________________

PC: Intel i7-8700K (4.9 GHz), Aorus Ultra Gaming Z370 MB, Gigabyte RTX 3080, 32 GB DDR3 (3,2 GHz), Samsung EVO 860 M.2 500 GB SSD + Samsung 960 M.2 250 GB SSD Gaming: Virpil T-50 CM2, TM WH Throttle, Crosswind pedals, HP Reverb

Giving out all aircraft for free IS A MISTAKE. Saying that it isn't (and you haven't pledged) puts you into "want everything for free" category and you shouldn't be commenting on this because that is equivalent to wanting others to pay for you... If you want something.. EARN IT

Oh noes, I want to play a "free to play" game for free! The horror!

The F2P model works by offering a substantial free base game, and premium content at a price. You hook people with the free content and then they spend money. Those "freeloaders" also provide content, in this case people to play with and shoot down, and they are essential to the experience for those who pay.

If Luthier wants to drop the F2P model, let him do it. Then it's just another DCS module. But a F2P game with only one playable side cannot work.

PS. Funny that in a topic about how to get more pledges, people who haven't pledged are told to shut up.

PPS. Oh, and also massively negrepped :D

Edited by JackDant
  • Like 1

Oh noes, I want to play a "free to play" game for free! The horror!

The F2P model works by offering a substantial free base game, and premium content at a price.

If Luthier wants to drop the F2P model, let him do it. Then it's just another DCS module. But a F2P game with only one playable side cannot work.

Spitfire, 109 and P-47 is the premium stuff.

F2P with only one playable side is working perfectly for DCS world for quite some time now.

Spitfire, 109 and P-47 is the premium stuff.

And where is the "substantial free base game"?

F2P with only one playable side is working perfectly for DCS world for quite some time now.

Not really. You can fly Su-25T's for the blue coalition, as Georgia. Now imagine the reaction of the forums if the normal scenario for DCS:WW2 had German P-47s instead of 109's.

Nowhere. It was a promise made in the earliest stages of development, on a prediction that there would be thousands of pledgers and supporters. There's not.

Not really. You can fly Su-25T's for the blue coalition, as Georgia. Now imagine the reaction of the forums if the normal scenario for DCS:WW2 had German P-47s instead of 109's.

The goal is to have a free option to explore the game with some limitation. Not have a full WWII scenario that would keep you busy for years to come.

PS. Funny that in a topic about how to get more pledges, people who haven't pledged are told to shut up.

PPS. Oh, and also massively negrepped :D

I think you don't realize what value a DCS fidelity plane is. Su-25 is NOT of such fidelity BTW. 'Only' its damage model and flight model.

And negative repping is a bit too much, IMO. Let's leave such measures to complete bollocks and forum rule offenders.

Nowhere does it say the demo aircraft needs to be balanced for both sides. This would even motivate people to buy another aircraft.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

ED-Newsletter:

If Eagle would do you the big favour of sending out an official email-newsletter about the Kickstarter, you coud reach the many DCS-players who don't read forums.

1. A killer video:

All that really counts for getting media coverage is an impressive MAIN-Kickstarter-video + screenshots + good project description. Screenshots and description for DCS WWII 1944 are good, the main-video is the problem.

Impressive video = good in-game-graphics (maybe with a little bit of post-processing added) + good music / sound effects + a short story that immediately captures the interest of the guy who's watching.

Of course this can't be done in just a few days as it's expensive and time consuming, but you may want to have something similar at hands for further pre-sales of WWII 1944 through your own website. Examples:

a)

b)

2. New rewards:

Main focus now should be to get existing backers to spend more.

So maybe it would make sense to introduce a new tier / tiers that gets you any future content / aircraft for DCS:WWII for free. At a high price tag you wouldn't give away much future sales because people willing to give that much for your Kickstarter are going to spend anyway, I guess.

You could also split this up at different price tags:

- All future aircraft for DCS:WWII free

- All future aircraft and maps for DCS:WWII free

- All future aircraft and maps for DCS:WWII free + Alpha and Beta access

Just meant as an example, but don't make it to cheap if you go for it. smile.gif

3. Taking PayPal:

A must-have if it's possible.

4. Changes to project features:

Only one flyable aircraft at DCS-level for free - if you sell your product too cheap people are going to think it's low quality.

$1 NEW and $10 NEW: rewards as before, but no additional aircraft (one flyable total)

$20 NEW: access to one additional release aircraft (two total)

$30 NEW: access to two additional release aircraft (three total)

$40 NEW: access to three additional release aircraft (four total)

$60 NEW: access to ALL additional release aircraft (six total if we get the Me.262)

Sounds good, but makes the pledges a bit more complicated (we already have quite a few ;))

I definitely wouldn't give 3 full-DCS aircraft away for $1 - that's way too cheap.

5. Stretch goals:

- A flyable Me.262 as first stretch goal is optimal in my opinion as it is cost-efficient to do, maybe appeals more to the modern-plane/jet-people and adds more variation than another prop-plane.

- Next best thing would be a flyable B-17, but too costly at the moment.

6. Future training / fun plane:

Maybe something like the Fieseler Storch? :)

Most Kickstarters get most of their money during the first and the last few days - so keep up your good work! :thumbup:

Edited by Vijar

I have not backed this Kickstarter yet. I am undecided as to whether I will. I also agree that three free dcs level aircraft is to many. I think non backers should get to choose one of the three release aircraft.

I do think however that the one free aircraft should be a fully capable fighter if you want to attract new blood into the hardcore flight sim genre. Rise of flight gives away one free fighter and it has worked well for that game. I would suggest that you get the three aircraft only if you back at the $40 or above pledge level.

Edited by Vardin

A promise IS a promise

You are correct.

Hold him to that promise, and the team loses hundreds and hundreds of thousands of dollars. Dollars that could pay for development of many, many new modules and features.

Do you want a free game lacking some critical features, and the team unable to continue development at a certain rate and quality because they have no means of revenue? Just because they promised something for free based on an assumption that people would give them money anyway?

It was a nice gesture, why punish them for it.

Edited by hegykc

Do I read this right? The idea is to change the KS so that hundreds of people get less than what they were told they would get at the start of the KS for their pledge?

That is...pretty bad? Well, I guess they have a chance to change their pledges. Don't assume that people will automatically increase their pledges. Some might even decrease them.

Be happy the $100k was reached. Make a good product. Then people will spend more $.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria