EGI Align

GC1993

Hello

Despite having owned DCS A10C for only 3 days now, I am proficient in startup, navigation, weapons etc etc. I've got myself a little startup routine that works best for me, and in fact I end up being all set and ready to roll rather quickly - EXCEPT I can't because I always have to wait for my EGI align to finish (reach 4.0) on the CDU, so I can then set up the nav and arm the EAC.

Is there a faster way of doing this apart from waiting for it to reach 4.0? I know that if I start rolling before it aligns then I can't arm the EAC and things like my TGP and CCIP start to play up.

Is it normal for everyone else to finish their startup fairly quickly and end up waiting for the EGI Align?

Any feedback is helpful,

Thanks

Check out http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=108774 which your question is covered. In short if you follow the 'normal' startup procedure correctly you shouldn't have to wait for the alignment to finish.

Read the replies over - basically it seems I do just have to wait. With the correct startup procedure, people don't do other things when the APU, engines etc are spooling up - they just monitor the gauges, and so by the time they get round to the EAC their CDU has been active long enough to have aligned the EGI/GPS.

I simply mean that in my procedures, I power up other things whilst engines and APU spools up such as radios, BIT tests, countermeasures etc so I end up finishing most of the things nice and early.

Guest Izoul123

I usually just run to fridge and grab another beer/pre flight piss while waiting for it to align, especially if playing online since there is no pause/speed up in multiplayer. You can do other things like: oxygen test, fuel test, control surface test, panel light test, fire light test, set you network ID's etc to help kill some time as well. But yes, you can have 'most of' it done very fast (60 seconds or so) once you get used to it.

Keep in mind though, this is a simulator, so it's just a minor thing we have to wait for. At least be thankful re-arm/repairs are ultra fast vs waiting real time lol. We don't want to become 'arcade game mode'....keep it somewhat 'simulator'.

Edited by Izoul123

I concurr with others. Usually if you know what you're doing you will end up waiting for the alignment. In addition to the nice list Izoul123 gave you, while waiting you can also review your SMS for weapons profile, laser codes, ALOW altitude alarms and such. For those in a multiplayer mission, talking about the upcoming flight can also pass the time.

Is there a faster way of doing this apart from waiting for it to reach 4.0?

yes, but only if you disregard correct procedures and abandon the spirit that made you proficient within three days;)

Keep up the good work, go ahead studying this bird and always do the ground alignment up to 4.0 0.8 to enable EGI on the NMSP:thumbup:

I'd say the more you learn about the sim, the more you get to do while aliging. Here some suggestions:

- Define custom profiles in DSMS. There is a lot of information about profiles for CCIP dumb bomb release. You could also prepare the GBU profile for auto lase and change the HOF in the CBU settings. I tend to often change my payload and then define my one profiles.

- Prepare some waypoints for later use with the JTAC.

- If there are multiple JTACs around, save frequency presets on the radio.

- Prepare ILS and TACAN frequencys for AA refuel or landing.

- Fully read the briefing (can be quite a lot of text in some MP missions) :D

- Ask about the mission state when joining a MP session.

- If you really get bored (or theres no visibility at all) you could even set up an approach flight plan for ILS landing.

Edited by Gate-5

If you really want to speed the process up, turn on your batteries and inverter, start the APU and associated switches, then start the CDU and EGI. This will start the CDU as early as possible. You can then do the lamp test, oxygen, radios and go on as normal.

The whole start up including alignment can take only 5 or 6 minutes this way.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

The whole thing (when optimized) keeps 4 minutes and some seconds:

battery, inverter, apu (seconds)

(9 seconds to spoil up / you can do "something" else, usually I ask for rearming and refueling)

apu gen, both AC gen, CDU, EGI (seconds)

From now on you'll wait 4 minutes for the alignment (while you complete the rest of the procedure).

If you're fast enough you'll end up to have about 1 min of waiting doing "nothing", you can use this time to plan your flight, setup your weapons etc., if need absolutely to move (ie: someone bombing your airport), you can switch then to a INFLT alignment and wait more for it (T=5.5.0.8), while starting taxing (remember you cannot switch to EGI and turn EAC on until it's complete.. but you normally do not need them immediately).

The whole thing (when optimized) keeps 4 minutes and some seconds:

battery, inverter, apu (seconds)

(9 seconds to spoil up / you can do "something" else, usually I ask for rearming and refueling)

apu gen, both AC gen, CDU, EGI (seconds)

From now on you'll wait 4 minutes for the alignment (while you complete the rest of the procedure).

If you're fast enough you'll end up to have about 1 min of waiting doing "nothing", you can use this time to plan your flight, setup your weapons etc., if need absolutely to move (ie: someone bombing your airport), you can switch then to a INFLT alignment and wait more for it (T=5.5.0.8), while starting taxing (remember you cannot switch to EGI and turn EAC on until it's complete.. but you normally do not need them immediately).

Yep like I said above I do other things whilst stuff is spooling up - as for setting up weapon settings however I have another issue: Say I set up my GBU 12's on the ground, I'll set them to CCRP, change settings to auto lase and set the lase time to 15 seconds and finally hit SAVE. When I end up selecting my GBU's in the air to prepare for an attack however, they've reset themselves, even though I pressed save, any ideas?

Yep like I said above I do other things whilst stuff is spooling up - as for setting up weapon settings however I have another issue: Say I set up my GBU 12's on the ground, I'll set them to CCRP, change settings to auto lase and set the lase time to 15 seconds and finally hit SAVE. When I end up selecting my GBU's in the air to prepare for an attack however, they've reset themselves, even though I pressed save, any ideas?

HOW are you selecting the gbu's in the air? It makes a difference, and it was one thing that confused me until I learned why.

If you go to your profile page, use the up/down osb to select a profile and change your settings that way, you need to do it the same way to select them when in the air, or use the dms (tms? I get them confused; lower left on stick) left/right to select a profile.

If you set up a profile and save it, then later go back to the weapons page on mfcd and click on an osb to select a weapon, then you will be back to default values.

Hopefully that makes some sense. I'm very tired and at work, so can't look this stuff up to explain better. There is a thread around here that explains it. Setting up profiles, as opposed to just selecting a bomb and changing it's settings that one time, is very useful.

That's a common error (i did the same the first days...) when you didn't figured (yet) that the weapons are selected by profiles, in fact into the DSMS you're not really editing the single weapon, but the profile associated to it. Normally when you load a set of weapon a profile with the same name of those weapons is created (you can even create profiles yourself, for example having 2 GBU's operating CCIP and 2 operating CCRP).

To select a profile you can use TDM left-right to cycle them, or you can go to the DSMS page on the left MFD, go to the profile page, scroll to the selected profile and press ACT PRO (activate profile). You will notice on the HUD (lower left) the weapon name, that's not really the weapon name, that's the profile name.

From <http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=1764802#post1764802>

If you ask for ground power first while you're on the ramp and flip up your CDU/EGI switches next, your time for alignment will be significantly less (don't forget to disconnect ground power before rolling).

When not using ground power, one thing I do while the APU is spinning up is switch on the CDU/EGI switches and APU Gen switch so that when power comes on, the BIT starts and alignment can begin. This is not suggested in any checklist so I assume it may not be proper form. Either way, once that's running, I continue on with the rest of my checklist which includes setting up anything I want in the TAD, prepping my inventory in the DSMS, and customizing IFCC. By the time I'm done, I'm nearly aligned.

check the weapons name in the middle of the DSMS: a leading M/ means manual, when you select a weapon store directly. Manual profile is always default, and you need to set it up.

With a profile you may setup multiple different delivery profiles for the same weapon type e.g. Mk-82 and select the profile as needed... the profile activates all bombs automatically.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Ah thank you guys! I was just selecting the GBU's themselves on the DSMS, not the profiles. I'll start doing the profiles from now on.

As for the EGI, I'll start to set up my own weapon profiles and things like that to lessen the waiting time - cheers for your help! :)