JTAC CDU Coordinates

drz400dude

I am having trouble inputting JTAC coordinates into the CDU correctly. I turn the dial to mission, input the XX000000 coordinates making sure it is NOT on L/L, it is on the other one, then name it, it pops up in my HUD, then I cycle to it. But for some reason it is hundreds of NM away up in the mountains somewhere. Sometimes it works like a charm, sometimes it does what I described above. Has anyone else had this problem or know what I am doing wrong? :helpsmilie: Thanks.

I am having trouble inputting JTAC coordinates into the CDU correctly. I turn the dial to mission, input the XX000000 coordinates making sure it is NOT on L/L, it is on the other one, then name it, it pops up in my HUD, then I cycle to it. But for some reason it is hundreds of NM away up in the mountains somewhere. Sometimes it works like a charm, sometimes it does what I described above. Has anyone else had this problem or know what I am doing wrong? :helpsmilie: Thanks.

Check to see if the MGRS co-ordinates are for 37T or 38T ?

"UTM and MGRS Coordinates Explained". Page 459 of the Flight Manual

Edited by UrbanTerrorist
  • Like 1

Yep, that's likely the spot. If you enter coordinates and they're off by a LOOOONNNNGGG way, you're probably on the wrong zone. Change it to 37T or 38T.

Unfortunately, the part of the world we're in is split right in the middle by a border between two UTM zones.

If the grid ref. starts with A - G then you are in 37T. If it starts with K - Z then it is 38T.

ie: AC654432 would be in 37T

• Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

Is there a reason why JTAC does not to give 37T or 38T info? It would prevent shit like this.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

without flicking any dials, put the CDU on MFCD. Now follow these steps to edit a stored waypoint coordinate:

1- On UFC, press FN then 3. On MFCD, press Steerpoint

2- On MFCD Steerpoint page, press LL to change it to UTM

3- Punch in the coordinates alphabets by UFC alphabet (think of it as caps lock) CHR button and the relevant numbers (like a nokia phone).

4- Press the corresponding MFCD button where there is the old coordinates.

5- Now using HOTAS, set the HUD as SOI by Coolie Switch UP

6- Using stick, cycle waypoints on HUD right corner by DMS UP/DN short.

You have the target. Be warned to pick a steerpoint different from INIT or you'll never find your way back to base.

Edited by WildBillKelsoe

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

I see, thanks for the info! What would I do without you guys. Thanks Sarge55 for the reference.:thumbup:

Check to see if the MGRS co-ordinates are for 37T or 38T ?

"UTM and MGRS Coordinates Explained". Page 459 of the Flight Manual

Yep, that's likely the spot. If you enter coordinates and they're off by a LOOOONNNNGGG way, you're probably on the wrong zone. Change it to 37T or 38T.

Unfortunately, the part of the world we're in is split right in the middle by a border between two UTM zones.

If the grid ref. starts with A - G then you are in 37T. If it starts with K - Z then it is 38T.

ie: AC654432 would be in 37T