My pc on fire

So chilling on the sofa, having a beer when i heard a crackling noise from my desk....next thing i know my computer was in flames, it wasn't even turned on :huh::huh:

Anyway, sitting here ordering parts and I'm really on the limit of what i can afford atm.

Intel Core i7-9700F with CM Hyper H411R RGB Black Edition cooling

HyperX Fury DDR4 2666MHz 32GB

Gainward GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER Phoenix GS

Intel 660p 1TB M.2 SSD

ASUS ROG Strix B365-F GAMING Motherboard

Now here is my question, as stated I'm right on the limit of my budget...

My choises are dropping 16gb of ram, but getting some faster 16gb, something like: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 2933MHz or simular and bumping my CPU to a i7 9700K (slightly more turbo speed)

I really can't afford both so what do would be better? Do i really need 32gb of ram?

Thx in advance ????

Call your insurance company?? Thats what fire insurance is for.

Glad no one was hurt!!

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

That's a bummer man. Bad power supply?

Tough call on a tight budget.

Be aware that putting an unlocked K processor into that chipset motherboard will limit any overclocking you want to do. You need a "Z" motherboard to fully utilize an unlocked "K" processor. To be honest, I have no idea if it will limit the stock turboboost. The spec page for that motherboard does say it supports Turboboost 2.0. The more expensive chipsets should support 3.0.

As I understand it, when Intel fabricates those processors they are the same chip. Might even be on the same silicon wafer. Just the "F" designation means there was a defect in the integrated GPU and it was disabled. Same deal with 9700 vs 9700K. The K means there was a higher quality yield of transistors (MOSFETs) for that chip and it passed the binning process to be overclocked to higher frequencies and still stay within the voltage specification.

As far as 16 vs 32 GB RAM. Unless you plan on playing a lot online during the next month, you might not even be able to tell the difference except maybe on complex single player missions. That's something that's really easy to upgrade later as well. I have read anecdotally that the more VRAM on your GPU card you have the less likely you are going to use all your RAM. Never tested that myself though.

If you can manage a Z370 or Z390 motherboard with the 9700K I would go with that and upgrade to 32GB RAM later. Consider getting a SATA SSD instead of the M2 drive to save a few bucks. You won't notice the difference in load times.

Good luck and stay safe.

Oh man, be happy that you were around when that happened, could have been much much worse otherwise.

Lesson to be learned, a good PSU is to be found above 100€ and carries a 10year or more warranty. Anything below that, the lower you go the higher the risk of component damage in case of a (more ) likely PSU failure, or worst, a PC on fire.

Sounds like a joke, but it isn't.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page447.htm

list of PSu's and their actual OEM makers.

That PSU is somewhere on the better side from the middle segment, not what I would recommend but not a bad one either.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Can anything be salvaged from the old rig?

Sure something could be saved...but it was old....wifey don't know that :lol::lol:

I'm coming from an old intel with max 4.3GHz, 8Gb of ram and a 1070, to a 9700K, RTX2070 super and 32gb of ram :D

Downloading game again now, god its taking forever :joystick::pilotfly:

Well! If i had a psu in fire, i would assure myself that the next one would be...... The right one!

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page447.htm

list of PSu's and their actual OEM makers.

That PSU is somewhere on the better side from the middle segment, not what I would recommend but not a bad one either.

Yes! Me too, but sadly this cheap $$ is ranked as a tier 2 psu. Noiser because of the lack of a semi-passive mode.

Seasonic Focus.

Edited by Demon_

Attache ta tuque avec d'la broche.