Advice on gauges: Real or Simulated?

Pavespawn

I am far enough along on my pit to start thinking about gauges. I really like the look and feel of real gauges but I have to think that simulated ones are easier to implement. I’d like to hear from the real experts about the pros and cons of each. Also where do you get simulated gauge faces and needles? I don’t have a CNC or anything and I’m not likely to get one.

I’d also like to ask about primary instruments like ADI, HSI, VVI, etc. I’d love a real HSI but could never afford it unless I win the lottery :lol:

I am far enough along on my pit to start thinking about gauges. I really like the look and feel of real gauges but I have to think that simulated ones are easier to implement. I’d like to hear from the real experts about the pros and cons of each.

I’d also like to ask about primary instruments like ADI, HSI, VVI, etc. I’d love a real HSI but could never afford it unless I win the lottery

On OpenHornet, we are planning on using all real with the exception of the ADI/RWR which will share a screen. I also plan on making accommodations in the design to allow the entire backup gauge cluster to be digital if the builder so chooses. (Gauges are a ton of work, tbh.)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Your building an A-10C how real do you want it to be? I would go with real your in the states and if you want a raised A-10C Main Instrument panel using a monitor behind it will be a pain. if you don't care flat MIP and a screen there ya go

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/a-10c-warthog-supplies

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/133818-deadmans-cockpit-base-plans/#comment-133824

CNCs and Laser engravers are great but they can't do squat with out a precise set of plans.

Your building an A-10C how real do you want it to be? I would go with real your in the states and if you want a raised A-10C Main Instrument panel using a monitor behind it will be a pain. if you don't care flat MIP and a screen there ya go

DM,

I already have a touchscreen with Helios but I prefer the real deal. I will move away from the screens for gauges as much as possible. Really it comes down to the actual gauge or one that I build myself. My only limiting factors are my limited working knowledge of Arduino/DCS-BIOS and how much I’m willing to spend on hardware. Take the HSI for example; how reasonable is it to think I can afford an original? How possible is it to get a replica HSI? Are actual gauges something that can be converted reasonably or is building my own a better choice/more feasible?

JoTEAA4.jpg

4HVFUFp.jpg

PS: Still hoping for an accurate knob for my CMSP! :smilewink:

Gary

Edited by Pavespawn

DM,

I already have a touchscreen with Helios but I prefer the real deal. I will move away from the screens for gauges as much as possible. Really it comes down to the actual gauge or one that I build myself. My only limiting factors are my limited working knowledge of Arduino/DCS-BIOS and how much I’m willing to spend on hardware. Take the HSI for example; how reasonable is it to think I can afford an original? How possible is it to get a replica HSI? Are actual gauges something that can be converted reasonably or is building my own a better choice/more feasible?

PS: Still hoping for an accurate knob for my CMSP! :smilewink:

Gary

Well your in the U.S so getting An ARU 2B/A (ADI) or an AQU 6/A (HSI) is possible on eBay each for some where around $300 is possible I have not seen any Simulator HSI or ADI in quite a wile making them work GS Rain and Hansolo are making head way in to controlling gauges with Arduinos real gauges I.E. 2 inches can be driven with air cores, servos or stepper motors the F-16 community has all ready prove that.

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/a-10c-warthog-supplies

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/133818-deadmans-cockpit-base-plans/#comment-133824

CNCs and Laser engravers are great but they can't do squat with out a precise set of plans.

DM,

I’ll look around for those. Nothing beats the look of an actual gauge. I’ll also try to grab some engine instruments as well. If nothing else I can adapt a stepper motor to drive it. Seems like a fun but frustrating project.