no lights at all

So i''m not into modelling cockpits or aircraft. I like to keep busy with static objects and groundstuff (to give us more things to put bombs on;)). Right now i'm trying to get my first model into dcs using 3dmax and the edm exporter. Its a very big hanger that can house about 40 planes.

i got it into modelviewer ok, and now i'm trying to create some lights. I'd like it to have some lighting on the outside at night, as well as on the inside. I experimented with self illumination, got that working fine too.

the problem however: I cant seem to get omnilights or spotlights to show up at all.

I've spend 3 days searching on the forum but all the information seems to be all about the cockpit and strobe lighting and animating that, or the information is 2 years or more old, and links are outdated. I just wanna know how to properly export the lights and get them to light up at night.

It is very hard to get to the right information if you're just starting with this stuff. Is there some magical manual or tutorial somewhere that i seem to be missing but everybody else already knows about? :(

yeah, i was experimenting with that. I found several post referring to that, but i can't seem to find any post or manual that show the basics on how this is supposed to work or when to use it.

i did find the YouTube tutorials in this thread:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=217251&highlight=light

however when doing exactly what it says, it doesnt work for me.

i would be really useful if someone knew of a guide or simple step plan that covers the basic way this works in 3dmax, or maybe share a simple .max file that shows how to implement a omni or spotlight that, when exported, works in the modelviewer.

i also found some mentions about user defined object properties, but no clear info on what this is supposed to do and when to use it. Same for the arguments.

just testing in the dark here (until the omni lights turn on:))

ok, im trying to figure this thing out here.

so i started a new file. trying to recreate your testfile. result: my testfile doesnt work. So im missing something here.

this is what i did.

create a plane. roughly 50x50m

create a omni light. gave it the propery NO_CONNECTOR = 0; in user definend

saved it

exported it via file->export as an edm file

the plane doesnt even show up now. im comparing the files, but cant find the difference

ive attached my own testfile wich doesnt work. what am i missing here?

test_omni_light(v2014).rar

ok i finally figured it out.

It was a scale problem :doh:

i tried merging my main model into my working test model to see if it was any sort of settings problem. When the merge was done. it suddenly set my main model into a clear perspective of size. Never noticed that. Even though i did went through the correct setup for the exporter, setting up the correct units ed. Somehow the scale got changed somewhere resulting in a way too big hangar.

placing an omni in there looks fine in 3dmax. the omni lights up everything regardless of the size. in the modelviewer however. the omnilight does not have the strength to light up the same area. So what you see is not what you get in this particular case.

many thanks again. without the testfiles, i never would have figured it out like that.