VR Shaders mod for better VR experience

I had forgotten how it felt flying at 90 fps... and it's magical. Thank you. You are a god among us.

This is the kind of thing that the VR settings button in the DCS's settings screen should have done since the beginning.

Agree.... but should also be available for non VR as well...

Ryzen R7 1800x|EVGA FTW3 1080Ti|32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum@2666mhz|Samsung 750 EVO|LG 4k 50" Main Display|ASUS PB278Q Reference Display|

Is it normal for the metacache folders to remain empty after installing the app and emptying them? After restarting and playing a few missions in the different maps? They are all still empty. I emptied the fxo folder and it refilled for lack of the correct term.

i7-7700K, 32GB DDR4, 525GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080Ti 11GB, Liquid Cooling, Win 10, Warthog HOTAS, TPR Pedals, HP Reverb, Oculus Rift with Touch, Jetseat and bass shakers, PointCTRL, and Scale F-14B Cockpit

Is it normal for the metacache folders to remain empty after installing the app and emptying them? After restarting and playing a few missions in the different maps? They are all still empty. I emptied the fxo folder and it refilled for lack of the correct term.

did you remember to rename the

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\terrains\Caucasus\misc\metacache\dcs folder to dcs.old or something else... if not, your META2 files may be compiled within that folder rather than in the

C:\Users\Username\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\metashaders2 folder..

however,... it has been stated that the mod will still work under these circumstances by @imacken

Ryzen R7 1800x|EVGA FTW3 1080Ti|32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum@2666mhz|Samsung 750 EVO|LG 4k 50" Main Display|ASUS PB278Q Reference Display|

Yes - we discussed this before. It builds them in the saved games folder instead ;)

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

Anyone else having issues with the mod after the latest update. I’m getting the old performance before the mod with it installed. Not sure what I did.

Before you update:

1. You have to make sure you disable the mod completely so that DCS is in stock form

2. Delete all files in C:\Users\Username\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\ fxo and metashaders2 folders

3. Then update DCS

4. Run DCS in updated stock form to see that all is working

5. Re-apply the mod via OvGME or (Kegety's Instructions via Readme.txt)

6. Enjoy

Before you update:

1. You have to make sure you disable the mod completely so that DCS is in stock form

3. Then update DCS

4. Run DCS in updated stock form to see that all is working

5. Re-apply the mod via OvGME or (Kegety's Instructions via Readme.txt)

2. Delete all files in C:\Users\Username\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\ fxo and metashaders2 folders

6. Start DCS and wait for shaders to compile.

7. Enjoy

Would this not be the cleaner way to ensure the shaders were compiled with the mod?

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

I have tried the mod again. I am getting some strange effect. The shaders were freshly complied. Took about 20min for the sim to start first time.

It is a bit difficult to describe the effect. Let me try this way.

At the border of the Oculus screen, you get like a second glass. More it is something lick when looking through a glass bottle , wher the center is crystal clear and the corner becomes blurry.

I had this effect already a few years back in the old F-18C Level-D sim in LSMP. The laser would only render the viewpoint tack sharp and all where you are not looking at is left blurry.

X-Plane 11.5x / DCS 2.5.6 / P3Dv5 / Aerofly FS 2 / War Thunder

Win10-x64 | ASUS Z390 Maximus VI | Intel i7-9700K @3.6GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | 2TB M2 PCI 4x | ASUS GTX 1080 ROG STRIX 8GB DDR5X | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Oculus Rift S

I have tried the mod again. I am getting some strange effect. The shaders were freshly complied. Took about 20min for the sim to start first time.

It is a bit difficult to describe the effect. Let me try this way.

At the border of the Oculus screen, you get like a second glass. More it is something lick when looking through a glass bottle , wher the center is crystal clear and the corner becomes blurry.

I had this effect already a few years back in the old F-18C Level-D sim in LSMP. The laser would only render the viewpoint tack sharp and all where you are not looking at is left blurry.

Pretty sure that's to do with your MASKSIZE value. What is it set to? 0.6 is a good value for the Rift. The default is too small.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Pretty sure that's to do with your MASKSIZE value. What is it set to? 0.6 is a good value for the Rift. The default is too small.

Where do you set this?

Win10-x64 | ASUS Z390 Maximus VI | Intel i7-9700K @3.6GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | 2TB M2 PCI 4x | ASUS GTX 1080 ROG STRIX 8GB DDR5X | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Oculus Rift S

Where do you set this?

See post #1 in this thread.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

See post #1 in this thread.

Thanks!

Would this not be the cleaner way to ensure the shaders were compiled with the mod?

should work just as well... in the readme txt., Kegetys states that when disabling the mod, to delete the fxo and metashader2 files.. so that is why i put it in that order.. as for re-enabling the mod, it is unnecessary to delete them,..... but probably a Really Good Idea anyways... i have done it both ways... both work... just do the cleanest job you can based on Kegetys instructions and you will have no problems..

Absolute Black Magic! This is an AMAZING mod. I've been a flight simmer for four decades and the amount of times I've seen claims of 50% FPS increase that actually worked has been ZERO until now.

I'm running an i7-7700k & 1080 ti. With Medium settings and 2x MSAA, I now have 45 steady launching from the carrier with the F18 where before I was barely 30.

Allowed me to do 2x MSAA with the Spitfire over Vegas without a dip below 45 and usually a steady 60.

Thanks a ton!

i7-7700k

eVGA 1080 Ti

Win 10 Pro

Samsung Odyssey WMR

Warthog HOTAS

Thank you so much for all your efforts. I have experienced a 50% fps improvement. For a specific test I do I have gone from 58 fps, to 88 fps. (Frustratingly, I can get 120 fps in 2.5.0 with deferred shading off and everything else the same, WITHOUT the mod - thanks ED!)

I am seeing the following glitches, however, and wondering whether it's just me.

When flying over the sea, and looking around, the entire sea area occasionally flashes white.

Seeing wireframe lines on the runway, when in the A-10 mission "Free flight over Black Sea region. Runway start" (image zoomed in to demonstrate issue more clearly).

Capture12.thumb.JPG.1cb29629b5dfc4eb959474719c045d46.JPG

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

Possible Fog/Weather Issue

This mod works well overall, however have run into an issue with (I think) the weather not being applied near the player's aircraft.

See attached which are from the Caucausas AJS37 Instant Action Cold Start scenario. With the modified shaders there is a clear 'bubble' around the aircraft when it is foggy, whereas when the default DCS shaders are being used the fog fills the entire area.

Happy to check further scenarios or situations if of any help.

Screen_180724_204433.thumb.png.47287ced913c669b78718ad73ef314ae.png

Screen_180724_230731.thumb.png.6e4f47fb7197735683bfcd64a1626299.png

Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 @ 3600MHz | Gigabyte X570-Aorus Ultra | Gigabyte GeForce 4090 | Samsung C34F791 | Varjo Aero | Windows 10 Pro x64 | Auzentech X-Fi Forte | too many flight controllers...

This mod works well overall, however have run into an issue with (I think) the weather not being applied near the player's aircraft.

See attached which are from the Caucausas AJS37 Instant Action Cold Start scenario. With the modified shaders there is a clear 'bubble' around the aircraft when it is foggy, whereas when the default DCS shaders are being used the fog fills the entire area.

i also noticed this with heavy fog.. and the same 'bubble' affects the grass as well... believe it has something to do with the adjustments in the atmosphere2 and tonemapping files of the mod but cant remember what i changed to mitigate the 'grassmosphere' issue while flying NOE in the gazelle..

Interesting, I don't have that issue at in that mission or any other.

I think this is where ED should step in and takeover the mod to incorporate it in the sim. They should be able to fix anomalies like this since they are more familiar with which setting does what.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

Apologies if I missed this but what effect, if any, does this mod have in 2D?

A Co, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

In the first post of this thread : "It works in non-VR mode too, but likely the performance gain is not that huge unless you play in very high resolution."

The things that are specific for VR are rendering area size and antialiasing aera size if I don't mistake.

All the rest of the mod works as well for a screen usage.

As this mod is easing the GPU work, it gives better perf with VR, because VR taxes much more the GPU than a classic 60Hz screen (unless screen resolution is high natively or internally)

He was asking for effect, not performance but I've noticed no difference either way than stock in 2D. I'm enjoying a bit sharper view but the performance of DCS is still maxing out my CPU and GPU so I've got something set wrong or not set up right. Although I have all my setting at max and 2.2 on pixel density. So I'm not complaining!!! In the Rift I have my _HMD file mask and msaa both at .625 and it is awesome!

i7-7700K, 32GB DDR4, 525GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080Ti 11GB, Liquid Cooling, Win 10, Warthog HOTAS, TPR Pedals, HP Reverb, Oculus Rift with Touch, Jetseat and bass shakers, PointCTRL, and Scale F-14B Cockpit