Effect wear off on you?

Callsign.Vega

In short, yes part of the Wow wears off like your first flight in the real thing, but after years of doing it, there’s nowhere I’d rather be. Go the Reverb!

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.

<snip>

I am waiting next big thing, that is hand tracking. So that the Rift S cameras could track my index and thumb fingers tips and I could use those to push, flip and rotate instruments in cockpit. With little software trapetsy to visually indicate when you have "contact" and that's it.

<snip>

Initial stage of hand/finger tracking in Oculus Quest is pretty good. Granted it is early stages, but I can see that being developed further and perhaps making it to the Rift S someday who knows. Depends I guess on the direction Oculus takes it. And then of course ED supporting it.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I understand that the honeymoon wears off but it is impossible to go back to 2D screen. The immersion in not there in 2D. The one thing that kills me is how difficult it is to keep track of enemy airplanes in a dogfight. Other than that, it’s VR all the way.

F-14B - F-18C - F-16C - Mirage 2000

i7-6700k 4Ghz; EVGA 2080ti; 32GB DDR4; warthog HOTAS; Logitech pro flight pedals; oculus Rift S

All good points guys, thinking of getting another Reverb... interesting thoughts on the more recent "Revision" of the Reverb from Amazon. Is this actually proven or just speculation?

As for the difficulty of spotting airplanes during dog-fighting, that is kinda a huge deal considering how that is a big part of flying DCS planes!

GPU: RTX 4090 - 3,000 MHz core / 12,000 MHz VRAM. 

CPU: 7950X3d - 5.2 GHz X3d, 5.8 GHz secondary / MB: ASUS Crosshair X670E Gene / RAM: G.Skill 48GB 6400 MHz

SSD: Intel Optane P5800X - 800GB

VR: Pimax Crystal

CONTROLS: VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base / VPC Constellation ALPHA Prime Grip / VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle / TM Pendular Rudders

I just upgraded from Rift-S to Reverb and found new love

So much better clarity. Still get a buzz flying around staring at the scenery. I can't wait to get back in the cockpit everyday.

I just force 45 FPS and the motion smoothing isn't perfect, but at this stage is acceptable for a great time. Frame rate is solid enough. Had to tweak the gfx settings for a bit to get it working smooth all the time. (Shadows off however)

I used to get that stomach in the mouth feeling in the Huey and doing aileron rolls in the F15. Not so much anymore. I have a bass shaker setup so my seat is vibrating with the all the sim's sounds, so that really adds immersion. Sitting in the hanger concentrating on setting up for flight and a fast mover does a sonic boom overhead and I still jump out of my skin. Put on the afterburners and I get a punch in the seat. So cool.

Not sure why you had such a terrible time with your Reverb. I love mine and don't regret getting it.

Edited by JasonJ

Sim Rig || Pics 2010 |

PC 2019 || 8600K @ 4.8GHz | RTX2080ti OC | 32GB RAM @3000 | 500GB SSD | Win10 64bit |

PC 2010 || 2600K @ 3.4GHz | Zotac GTX680 | 8GB RAM | Win7 64bit Ultimate SP1 |

Cockpit || Joystick: T.16000M | Pedals: Logitech G25 | Throttle & Collective: Logitech Attack3 Modded | Button Box: G25 Shifter |

Cockpit || HP Reverb VR | Custom Frame & Seat | 3x Bass Shaker | 2:1 Game Sound | 2x Rear Head Rest Speakers Comms/Music |

All good points guys, thinking of getting another Reverb... interesting thoughts on the more recent "Revision" of the Reverb from Amazon. Is this actually proven or just speculation?

As for the difficulty of spotting airplanes during dog-fighting, that is kinda a huge deal considering how that is a big part of flying DCS planes!

I can't speak for other HMDs, but with the reverb and decently high settings and smooth FPS - spotting bandits in DCS isn't much different than IRL. It's hard in real life too.

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

I’m currently doing alpha testing of another simulator and I can’t fly for more than a few minutes before I’m heading back to DCS for VR. I’ve had it for 2 months and have only logged a few hours. VR may not have that initial wow factor but it still has that “This is so cool” level of immersion.

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

VR may not have that initial wow factor but it still has that “This is so cool” level of immersion.

Very true.

The way I see it too.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

I finally got around to trying DCS with my Vive Pro that I modified with non-Fresnel lenses and displays I swapped in from an Odyssey+ that have the SDE minimization film on the OLED panels.

When I first started playing, that feeling of being "in" the cockpit was truly amazing and jaw dropping.

After a while though, does the honeymoon end? I swapped back to my really nice TrackIR5 and 55" 4K OLED setup and some huge deficiencies of DCS VR became apparent:

1. The constant swapping from 90 FPS to 45 FPS even on my EXTREMELY powerful PC got on my nerves.

2. With VR being 1:1, having to completely turn my head around to check my six is tiresome. Being a real military helicopter pilot, I'm no longer 25 anymore and it wears on my already well worn neck. Having like the 1:2 head turn of TrackIR is a nice relief.

3. Being able to see the real world, controls/keyboard/mouse, look out the window has its benefits. Less eye strain with regular setup.

4. How hard it is to read dials and gauges in VR.

5. How incredible hard it is to spot aircraft and keep track of them in VR.

I just think that VR isn't mature enough clarity/performance wise for me, even having THE fastest gear on the market.

I feel like my regular setup makes me more competitive and wears on me less, even though some of the "WoW" factors is removed.

Anyone else experience a diminished DCS VR Honeymoon?

Not myself. DCS became more hardwork to setup the environment, especially preparing kneeboards and not having pen and paper to hand. The Rift did have me less satisfied with some smaller cockpit avionics and especially the Vipers radar caused me to upgrade to a Reverb after 2 happy squinting years. However now, I can see everything just as well as my 4K screen. Yes... the ammo counter in the Tomcat... Spotting is 1:1 same as 2D. I miss the peripheral vision, especially when trying to look behind me where I miss using my eyebal gimbal due to the facemask, it can cause strain at 47 so I tend to warm up my neck and back before dogfights. Ground targets are always tricky if you dont have some sort of optics, unless you fight at night currently where everything has a silly white dot on it and you can see a car for 30 kilometres in the dark, so, I don't see VR as a visual handicap any more since the Reverb, but I do find it an ergonomic handcap when I need the keyboard.

The only honeymoon I can remember was a period of 1 week where I felt a bit sick to be honest.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

I finally got around to trying DCS with my Vive Pro that I modified with non-Fresnel lenses and displays I swapped in from an Odyssey+ that have the SDE minimization film on the OLED panels.

When I first started playing, that feeling of being "in" the cockpit was truly amazing and jaw dropping.

After a while though, does the honeymoon end? I swapped back to my really nice TrackIR5 and 55" 4K OLED setup and some huge deficiencies of DCS VR became apparent:

1. The constant swapping from 90 FPS to 45 FPS even on my EXTREMELY powerful PC got on my nerves.

2. With VR being 1:1, having to completely turn my head around to check my six is tiresome. Being a real military helicopter pilot, I'm no longer 25 anymore and it wears on my already well worn neck. Having like the 1:2 head turn of TrackIR is a nice relief.

3. Being able to see the real world, controls/keyboard/mouse, look out the window has its benefits. Less eye strain with regular setup.

4. How hard it is to read dials and gauges in VR.

5. How incredible hard it is to spot aircraft and keep track of them in VR.

I just think that VR isn't mature enough clarity/performance wise for me, even having THE fastest gear on the market.

I feel like my regular setup makes me more competitive and wears on me less, even though some of the "WoW" factors is removed.

Anyone else experience a diminished DCS VR

I moved from the HP Reverb back to a 55” C9 OLED, and absolutely agree with you. I much prefer my big screen than VR! I will definitely check out DCS in VR again in a few years, but currently find the initial immersion boost when flying solo scenery flights isn’t worth the problems of flying proper A2A missions.

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

I moved from the HP Reverb back to a 55” C9 OLED, and absolutely agree with you. I much prefer my big screen than VR! I will definitely check out DCS in VR again in a few years, but currently find the initial immersion boost when flying solo scenery flights isn’t worth the problems of flying proper A2A missions.

I'm curious, how do you define "proper A/A missions"??

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

I don't have that "wow" factor anymore - it turned into my expectation now towards that I cannot fly outside of VR anymore. So the wow became the expected norm, and it's still a stunning experience, each and every time. I still feel like I am being there and I don't want to miss that.

As a side note, I cannot wait for the new HP Reverb G2. :)

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Interesting. I would be curious to see the number of people who have nice 4K TV's (especially OLEDs) like our vs VR preference numbers. I would suspect those that prefer VR for long term would be not nearly as lopsided as say those (majority?) of people that came from flying on small computer LCD monitors that went to VR. The latter does really suck.

GPU: RTX 4090 - 3,000 MHz core / 12,000 MHz VRAM. 

CPU: 7950X3d - 5.2 GHz X3d, 5.8 GHz secondary / MB: ASUS Crosshair X670E Gene / RAM: G.Skill 48GB 6400 MHz

SSD: Intel Optane P5800X - 800GB

VR: Pimax Crystal

CONTROLS: VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base / VPC Constellation ALPHA Prime Grip / VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle / TM Pendular Rudders

For me 2d isnt an option, regardless of screen size. I got a 120” screen but its still 2d. The 3d feeling inside the cockpit and for formation flights and air refueling etc is completely lost without VR.

The first Wow-effect is gone, but the “inside” cockpit feeling still is there.

The Wow-effect from real flying is also since long gone, and I’m in most cases looking more forward to a gaming night with friends then a real flight.

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

Interesting. I would be curious to see the number of people who have nice 4K TV's (especially OLEDs) like our vs VR preference numbers. I would suspect those that prefer VR for long term would be not nearly as lopsided as say those (majority?) of people that came from flying on small computer LCD monitors that went to VR. The latter does really suck.
Back in the DK2 days I got a 4K 48" TV for sims. I was so bitten by the VR "being in the plane/car" thing that once the CV1 came out I ended up giving the TV to my daughter when she moved out.

There is nothing quality wise that would tempt me back to monitors, the quality of a nice large 4K monitor or TV is already excellent. VR for me is a complete game changer. Doesn't mean I don't hanker for monitor quality graphics in VR, I certainly do but reverting isn't a choice for me now.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

I've got a 49" Samsung QLED 4K TV hooked up to my gaming rig, and the quality of the video is fantastic. But, it doesn't change the fact that its like watching an HD movie about flying a plane. I can make believe that I'm looking between trees and buildings, but I'm just looking at the space between pictures of trees and buildings. In VR, I don't have to make believe that I'm doing that, my brain is tricked into believing I'm really looking between actual trees and buildings. I don't have the depth perception or spatial awareness in 2D, no matter how big or high-resolution my TV is, it just isn't there.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

VR tricks your brain on such a fundamental level into believing you are IN that cockpit , and IN that world , that it is difficult to explain to those who haven't tried it .

My daughter and her husband just got the first of two Quests they ordered , and they are absolutely freaking out , despite my telling them about the VR experience for the past year+ , and they haven't even tried wired mode yet !

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

For me 2d isnt an option, regardless of screen size. I got a 120” screen but its still 2d. The 3d feeling inside the cockpit and for formation flights and air refueling etc is completely lost without VR.

The first Wow-effect is gone, but the “inside” cockpit feeling still is there.

The Wow-effect from real flying is also since long gone, and I’m in most cases looking more forward to a gaming night with friends then a real flight.

What are you flying IRL?

VR tricks your brain on such a fundamental level into believing you are IN that cockpit , and IN that world , that it is difficult to explain to those who haven't tried it .

My daughter and her husband just got the first of two Quests they ordered , and they are absolutely freaking out , despite my telling them about the VR experience for the past year+ , and they haven't even tried wired mode yet !

I had a buddy/co-worker who is an ex-fighter pilot (former F-16 driver) help me move some stuff with his truck a couple of weeks ago and while he was here at the house I asked if he wanted to see my VR setup I had been talking about at work. He said sure. So I put him on the runway at Nellis in the Viper and as soon as he put on the headset his first words were "Holy F___!!". The entire time he was flying around he just kept saying "Oh my god. Oh...my... god."

I had a buddy/co-worker who is an ex-fighter pilot (former F-16 driver) help me move some stuff with his truck a couple of weeks ago and while he was here at the house I asked if he wanted to see my VR setup I had been talking about at work. He said sure. So I put him on the runway at Nellis in the Viper and as soon as he put on the headset his first words were "Holy F___!!". The entire time he was flying around he just kept saying "Oh my god. Oh...my... god."

Priceless !

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

It is not an exact science but for me neither reverb from BH photo was as good as the one from amazon likely due to the build date. IF you buy from amazon you may be more likely to get a recent build. Although maybe because of me BH is out of their older stock.lol They get what thy get and in order to get more or newer ones they have to get rid of their current stock which they said I am helping them with:thumbup:

System Specs: 13900K, Strix Z790 Gaming E, MSI 4090 Sprim Liquid X  OC'd, 64gb Gskill Trident Z DDR5, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 SSD,. Winwing throttle, Winwing panels/MIPs and VKB GF3/MCGU stick, MFG Crosswind V2, HP REVERB G2.

VR only for me. I have to feel the realism factor to fly DCS. BMS was enjoyable until I saw flight in VR then it was like a cat that saw the laser light for the first time …

Intel i9 7980XE @4.4Hz

64GB DDR4 RAM at 2666MHz

GTX 1080Ti with 11GB GDDR5X

Reverb Pro HMD

HOTAS: TM Warthog throttle / TM F18 Grip

Dual H640P Huion tablets used with VRK (Virtual Kneeboard ) software

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

DOF Reality P6, 6 axis Motion Platform

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

VR only for me. I have to feel the realism factor to fly DCS. BMS was enjoyable until I saw flight in VR then it was like a cat that saw the laser light for the first time

Lol nice analogy!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|