Double Vision?

Phantom_Mark

Daft question, but is there any good reason why we need to have the game rendered on our 2d screens when we are using VR ?

I am sure there is a glaringly obvious reason, but it seems a waste of processing cycles drawing something on my monitor that is already being rendered in the VR screens ? :smartass:

Is there any way to hide the monitor output while you are in VR ?

i asked this a long time ago, and the answer i remember was not as much as you would think, it is essentially displaying one of the "eyes" again, its not recalculating it or anything complex

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

i asked this a long time ago, and the answer i remember was not as much as you would think, it is essentially displaying one of the "eyes" again, its not recalculating it or anything complex

Any reason why it has to do it tho? I mean everything screen it draws to "costs" something, and as performance is already hobbled in VR to some extent why waste it drawing to a monitor I am not even looking at ?

Anyone tried to disable it ? is there a way ? :book:

You just gave me an idea. I’ll try to turn off my monitor and start windows with WMR auto startup in Home and launch DCS from there. I’ll try it when I get home

Ryzen 1700 @ 3.8GHz / 32GB( 4x8 ) @ 3.2GHz / 1TB ADATA NVMe System Drive / 232GB NVMe Samsung 960 / ASUS dual RTX 2080ti / Reverb / Rift CV1 / T-16000M FCS flight pack

A10C/M2000C/F5E/SA342/Mi8/UH1H/KA50/AJS-37/FA-18C/AV-8B/F-14/Mig29/CA/SU-27

The GPU will still be doing work even if the monitor is off ...

Obviously I considered that one, but I wonder, if the monitor is not plugged into the GPU then it surely it won't be rendering anything/ HDMI switch might be worth a go ? I will test the theory by simply unplugging the screen at the screen end :thumbup:

I will run an FPS counter tracker in the background with a set mission etc to compare vs "normal"

I tried what I said and did not work, I manage to boot up, ran DCS using WMR desktop, nothing changed.

Ryzen 1700 @ 3.8GHz / 32GB( 4x8 ) @ 3.2GHz / 1TB ADATA NVMe System Drive / 232GB NVMe Samsung 960 / ASUS dual RTX 2080ti / Reverb / Rift CV1 / T-16000M FCS flight pack

A10C/M2000C/F5E/SA342/Mi8/UH1H/KA50/AJS-37/FA-18C/AV-8B/F-14/Mig29/CA/SU-27

Well sadly I cannot make a conclusive report, but merely a subjective one.

Subjectively I think it seems a touch more FPS, that could be placebo.

Sadly the FPS tests I did here might not be able to be relied upon.

All test flights were in controlled environment, in the same test mission, flying point A to B at 3000ft AGL over Dubia in the daytime, looking dead ahead as little deviation as possible.

All FPS are "average"

45 FPS was in VR mode as we normally run it.....

64fps was the Monitor unplugged, started the game in VR and then unplugged the screen.

41fps was with the TV merely Switched to standby

61fps was with the TV unplugged again.....

I think it highly likely a little heat soak is playing a factor here, and I am also suspicious both TV Unplugged samples are recorded as shorter samples despite being the same length as the other two.

"Logically" if the TV is unplugged the GPU isn't going to output to the HDMI any signal, thus any cost there might have been will have been negated, because there simply isn't a device plugged into it, at that point the only thing the GPU will see is the Oculus.

Proving it is another matter tho, if anything, it proves the mirror isn't required to play in VR, which begs the question why is it being displayed at all ?

NZXT I think is the issue and "possibly" isn't detecting the FPS from the Oculus as it was getting that value from the screen before ?

Not sure what else I can do here to work it out now ?

fps.jpg.0d854fb6bc3ab10781841987bcadcee5.jpg