Delight to Fly (after the Dora)

Weegie

lack of power?? I think you haven't flown p-51 with 100% fuel

I absolutely have, but not really tried dogfighting in one like that :p yes, it's certainly a hippo at full fuel. The Spit is awesome until someone just runs away from it. We can't have everything though - added weight for bigger engines turned the later Spits into B&Z fighters.

Isnt a seafire almost identical to MkIX?

Not really. The originals were Spit V with strengthened fuselage aft, so the handling changed a bit, and there were some engine upgrades ( so *sortof* like a IX ) - then the later ones were Griffon-engined & made up of bits of other versions ( wings & most of fuselage from seafire III which was basically Spit V, tail of the Spit VIII ) and some changes for naval use like different undercarriage.

Eric Brown considered the XIV the best Spit, but then he was a crazy test pilot :) others called it overpowered & somewhat hard to keep hold of. I like the sound of that though.

Most Wanted: the angry Naval Lynx | Seafire | Buccaneer | Hawker Hunter | Hawker Tempest/Sea Fury | Su-17/22 | rough strip rearming / construction

For me DCS spitfire feels right, ppl just don't realise how agile this plane is.

You just need to get used to very sensitive control column.If you are stall accelerating all the time you are doing it wrong. At max speed you have to be careful to not rip wings off :) same with p-51.

And comparing trim behavior of 80 hp "fart" to trim behavior of 1500 hp war machine is great mistake.

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

I’d love them to add the 150 octane / increased boost variant

At least it’s then bring it in period with the 109

Don't forget that we are missing DB605DC which could boost up to 2.0 ATA :)

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

A2A did a great job (as always), but I think they simplified the taxi part by using the same system as, for ex, a Mustang, by simply using the rudder pedals. Unless I missed an option to have the real behaviour. That isn't bad, though, I hate this part in DCS ;)

As far as I know (not a lot), the brake system is modeled as the real thing.

With enough warmth in the coolant and oil, a flip of the parking brake catch releases the brake lever on the spade control grip and the aircraft is taxiing with minimal power. The first time I had the opportunity to fly a British aircraft with this hand operated air brake system I was skeptical about it being very effective compared to hydraulic toe brakes. Within a very few minutes I was completely won over. It is far easier to manage, particularly on run up when one has to really stand on most American fighter rudder pedals. The source of high-pressure air is controlled by the brake lever on the spade control grip, or stick. The rudder pedals modulate the distribution of pressure to the left and right main wheel brakes. If the pedals are even, equal braking is applied to both sides; as one rudder pedal is applied then more brake pressure is fed to that side. Strength of application is delivered by the hand lever on the grip. The major benefit to all this is having one's feet and legs almost completely relaxed most of the time.

https://www.airspacemag.com/history-of-flight/supermarine-spitfire-134209906/

I do like the Spitfire brake system better than the P-51.

Intel Core i7 3630QM @ 2.40GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.40 GHz) | 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz | 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M | 447GB KINGSTON SA400S37480G (SATA-2 (SSD))

As far as I know (not a lot), the brake system is modeled as the real thing.

I do like the Spitfire brake system better than the P-51.

me too. I don't have toe brakes on my pedals so taxiing the spitfire is a dream compared to the other warbirds

RTX 2070 8GB | 32GB DDR4 2666 RAM | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 4.2Ghz | Asrock X570 | CH Fighterstick/Pro Throttle | TM MFDs | TrackIR 5

me too. I don't have toe brakes on my pedals so taxiing the spitfire is a dream compared to the other warbirds

The Mossie & the Typhoon ( if it's happening - was in the kickstarter plane list iirc ) should be the same. I think I need to get a stick grip with a spring-loaded paddle, who does one of those?

The Spit ground handling is probably not challenging enough tbh, a lot of reports about how easy it was to overheat it... I can live without that for now, I'm not likely to ever fly a real Spit. Even less likely to taxi one, come to think of it.

Most Wanted: the angry Naval Lynx | Seafire | Buccaneer | Hawker Hunter | Hawker Tempest/Sea Fury | Su-17/22 | rough strip rearming / construction

The Mossie & the Typhoon ( if it's happening - was in the kickstarter plane list iirc ) should be the same. I think I need to get a stick grip with a spring-loaded paddle, who does one of those.

Virpil , VKB

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

The Mossie & the Typhoon ( if it's happening - was in the kickstarter plane list iirc ) should be the same. I think I need to get a stick grip with a spring-loaded paddle, who does one of those?

I use the pinkie button. Works good enough. Wonder if an actual paddle would make a big difference?

Intel Core i7 3630QM @ 2.40GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.40 GHz) | 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz | 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M | 447GB KINGSTON SA400S37480G (SATA-2 (SSD))

I use my right toe brake. It works surprisingly well, even while braking and simultaneously snapping the rudder left and right

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

Let's see if I can articulate my trouble with it.

You offer nothing quantifiable and thus nothing verifiable either, you just complain about something not feeling right. Do you expect ED to change anything based just on that?

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

I use the pinkie button. Works good enough. Wonder if an actual paddle would make a big difference?

I use a hat on my throttle so I can increment/decrement it, but it's a lot more awkward than it needs to be I think. I also bound a toe brake but for some reason it doesn't feel right at all there & I can't get used to it. Keeping the brakes somewhere around half on does make life a bit easier when taxiing around, at least. If my tomcat grip ever shows up I'll have to try the paddle on it.

I used to have the toe breaks bound, but that really dint work very well i have moved to the paddle switch on the joystick, obvs thats on off rather than analog

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

I used to have the toe breaks bound, but that really dint work very well i have moved to the paddle switch on the joystick, obvs thats on off rather than analog

I use this way too, i find it sufficient for this purpose, rate at which brake is applied is slow and can be managed by short bursts of brake apply.

I use my right toe brake. It works surprisingly well, even while braking and simultaneously snapping the rudder left and right

THIS, for braking I was using a hat first, but having an axis makes things a lot easier. I have mapped both toe brakes, because I am used to push the brakes of the same side I am pushing the rudder to.

i7 12700KF | MSI Z690 A-PRO | Corsair Vengeance 2x16 gb @ 3200 Mhz | RTX 3070 Ti FE | Acer XB271HU 1440P 144HZ | Virpil T-50 CM throttle | Virpil WarBRD Base + MongoosT-50 CM2 Grip | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR 5 | HP Reverb G2

Bf 109 K-4 | Fw 190 A-8 | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | P-51D | Fw 190 D-9 | P-47D | Mosquito FB VI | F/A 18C | F-14 A/B | F-16C | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | M-2000C | A-10C | AJS-37 Viggen | UH-1H | Ka-50 | Mi-24P | C-101 | Flaming Cliffs 3

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | The Channel | Syria

I seem to remember someone using the slider (Warthog Throttle). But that would means hands off throttle.

Was sick yesterday, so spent pretty much the entire day in bed watching YouTube videos. Watched a lot of Grim Reapers vids, and was feeling pretty vindicated in my disgust for this plane. One regular challenge they do is called "the Birds and the Bees" where the prop planes take off from one airport and land at another, while a bunch of people in jets try to pick them off by crashing into them. (Jets can't use guns, but prop planes can; it was kind of fun to see an I-16 shoot down an F/A 18)

During the takeoff runs, there are often collisions and crashes, but the majority of them were spitfires, just wobbling all over the place. And I thought, "See, there's NO FRICKING WAY a military would allow a plane to be so uncontrollable on takeoff. If it exhibited these characteristics, they would fix it. Widen the wheelbase, add a tailwheel lock, something." This isn't world war one and these planes don't use rotary engines.

Even the guy who does the videos, named "Cap"--a British fella no less--had nothing nice to say about the plane in these videos and a few others.

And I thought, "See, I'm not the only one that thinks this plane sucks!"

Then, in another video, they explain some of the options available in the Special tab, which I hadn't really explored. I had clicked on it a couple of times, saw something about VR gloves, and clicked out. Never clicked onto any of the individual planes (in fact, I hadn't even noticed the sidebar was there.)

In the Spit tab, the Takeoff Assistance was all the way up. So I turned that off, went and tried out the Spit...

...and now it's a completely different plane. Not just takes off more fluidly, but actually FLIES better.

Before, lifting off was like trying to clean up roadkill with a shovel. You had to PEEL it up. And in flight, it didn't seem to WANT to turn, and when it did, it would tuck into it like a retarded toddler doing somersaults.

I didn't have any "suggestions" for the devs before because I figured this thing was just a frickin turd, and I'd just avoid it. But now I do: get rid of the "take-off assistance." It isn't "assisting" in anything. In fact, it actually made the whole process MORE difficult.

It certainly won't give new pilots confidence.

And the fact that it affected the plane's entire flight envelope really irritates me. (It wasn't active on either the I-16 or the Mustang, which is probably why I appreciated and enjoy flying those planes.)

so ... what you are saying is it now works fine, now you found the switch everyone else has already turned off (from memory its for people who don't have rudders)...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

so ... what you are saying is it now works fine, now you found the switch everyone else has already turned off (from memory its for people who don't have rudders)...

I will add that this tip/advice to turn off those options was said on this forum probably billion times already.

It wasn't auto-rudder. That box wasn't checked. I have pedals. It was the "take-off assist" slider.

Just out of curiosity...what is "take-off assist" supposed to do? I would assume it would just reduce torque and p-factor during the high power, low speed condition at take off, making the plane MORE controllable. But it obviously doesn't do that. Furthermore, why would it affect the sensitivity of the controls, and it's FLIGHT characteristics?

I was able to reduce the curves to a reasonable 20, rather than the drastic user curve that was recommended.

Considering that it makes ground controllability WORSE, i'd say they should just get rid of it entirely. How is it "assisting" anything?

I don't know if I LIKE the plane yet. Only flew it around for about 45 minutes and shot down some drones. But it's a HUGE improvement.

(And my apologies for not trolling this forum for why the plane was just irritating to fly. Since I didn't have the problem with any of my other DCS aircraft, I figured it was just the plane itself. In fact, I only came to THIS particular forum because of the title of this thread. "Delight to Fly" when my reaction was, "Pfaaawww!")

Takeoff assist has the rudder automatically keep the aircraft straight, torque etc isn't negated, just automatically countered

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

The DCS Spitfire is one of my favorite airplanes on my computer. When I start DCS I jump into the Spit, practically without even thinking about it. I don't have single complaint about this module. It's what each of us expects the airplane to behave like, that affects wether we like it or not. For me, it's just the way I expect that a Spit actually behaves. So, I'm happy with it. If you expected something different, you're not going to be.

Takeoff assist seems to try and correct swing on takeoff, but all it seems to actually do is fight you while you're taxiing. If someone saves a mission with it on it overrides everyone else's settings in MP, too...

One of the recent GR vids has a whole bunch of spits taking off ok &... most of them landing ok :p I don't think anyone there flies props regularily.

Turn your Spitfire into a pussycat on the ground by selecting a small amount of wheel braking and leaving it set.

The rudder will now steer nicely on the ground without requiring airflow over it.

Just don't make your turns too big or too fast as it will still ground loop if you let it get away.

This also lets you do neat main wheel (not 3 point) landings as it helps stop the bounce.

I love my Spitfire!

Edited by Terry Dactil

This ^ kind of stuff is why I wanted the new DM to include brake wear and overheat