GTX1070 (ten-seventy) who's buying it?

http://www.pcgamer.com/geforce-gtx-1070-performance-preview/?utm_content=bufferb75bb&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=buffer_pcgamer

I realise there's a thread related to the 1080, however, much was the case with the 970 (memory allocation aside), the 1070 may very well be the more interesting of the new cards, when price-point is considered. The aggregate benchmark above doesn't necessarily translate to comparable DCS performance, but it suggests a substantial improvement over the card it is directly replacing.

In fact, I'm curious to hear what 970 users think about the 1080p performance increase in this benchmark - didn't expect the gains to be so great at 1080p. Those using a single 970 might get something out of upgrading to a 1070, in EDGE. Having said that, most 970 owners are running high+ graphics settings in-game, and perhaps are more hampered by CPU performance.

Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised by the relatively small performance contrast between the 1080 and 1070, (in this early benchmark at least) and thought it was worth a discussion. How does this all stack up with ATI's 2016 plans?

Edited by hughlb

| Windows 10 | I7 4790K @ 4.4ghz | Asus PG348Q | Asus Strix 1080TI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400 DDR3 | Asrock Fatal1ty Z97 | Samsung EVO 850 500GB (x2) | SanDisk 240GB Extreme Pro | Coolermaster Vanguard S 650Watt 80+ | Fractal Design R4 | VirPil T-50 | MFG Crosswind Graphite | KW-908 JetSeat Sim Edition | TrackIR 5 |

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Referring specifically to DCS: I'm using a Radeon R9 290 (slightly slower than a GTX 970) and get 60 to 150 fps at 1920x1200 resolution (16:10) at reasonable levels of detail. Unless moving to either 4k or VR, I'm not sure if you will get much value for money given that the 970 is faster than any card out when DCS was released.

In general, I'm interested in the 1070 but will wait for AMD's new Polaris architecture to be released so I can both see what it has to offer and take advantage of the price drops. Interestingly the new NVIDIA architecture does not implement the DX12 'killer' feature: Asynchronous Compute whereas AMD's Polaris will. (Interestingly most of the current generation of AMD GPUs already do that). I think NVIDIA assumed that since Windows 10/DX12 isn't ubiquitous enough yet for developers to rely on, they can get by without implementing it in hardware yet.

Referring specifically to DCS: I'm using a Radeon R9 290 (slightly slower than a GTX 970) and get 60 to 150 fps at 1920x1200 resolution (16:10) at reasonable levels of detail. Unless moving to either 4k or VR, I'm not sure if you will get much value for money given that the 970 is faster than any card out when DCS was released.

In general, I'm interested in the 1070 but will wait for AMD's new Polaris architecture to be released so I can both see what it has to offer and take advantage of the price drops. Interestingly the new NVIDIA architecture does not implement the DX12 'killer' feature: Asynchronous Compute whereas AMD's Polaris will. (Interestingly most of the current generation of AMD GPUs already do that). I think NVIDIA assumed that since Windows 10/DX12 isn't ubiquitous enough yet for developers to rely on, they can get by without implementing it in hardware yet.

About the performance in DCS World, my current GTX 970, coupled with an I5 4690K @4.5ghz + 16gb RAM @ 2133mhz perform very well on my main 1920x1080 monitor, I rarely see FPS going below 60, maybe in some areas, for ex. airbase with many people's and air defence. I'm not sure if it will rise the performance on this screen,DCS is heavily based on the CPU performance, I will buy it only with VR in mind.

1070 = 980ti killer.

KTN8Zh4mrGwgZHTut8X4wN-650-80.jpg

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think I'll stick with my 970, it's not like anyone will buy it if I put it on eBay.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[TABLE]PC Specs

i7-4790k

GTX 970

MSI Z97 Gaming 5

24 GB RAM

Samsung 850 Evo 240GB SSD

[/TABLE]

[TABLE]Equipment

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog

CH Pro Pedals

3D Printed TrackIR[/TABLE]

I think I will upgrade my computer from a 770 to a 1070. This will be my first graphics card upgrade ever. I have some questions: when reading the corresponding 1080 thread, I heard it mentioned that the initial cards are "founder editions". What exactly does this imply? Are they overpriced and/or come with teething problems? If I decide to buy now, what webshop will give me the best deals right now (US)?

Thanks for your help/advice, much appreciated.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel Core I7 4820K @4.3 GHz, Asus P9X79 motherboard, 16 GB RAM @ 933 MHz, NVidia GTX 1070 with 8 GB VRAM, Windows 10 Pro

I think I will upgrade my computer from a 770 to a 1070. This will be my first graphics card upgrade ever. I have some questions: when reading the corresponding 1080 thread, I heard it mentioned that the initial cards are "founder editions". What exactly does this imply? Are they overpriced and/or come with teething problems? If I decide to buy now, what webshop will give me the best deals right now (US)?

Thanks for your help/advice, much appreciated.

Nvidia decided to release their reference cards 100$ more expensive than what the after-market cards will cost and just call them "founders edition", both the 1070 and 1080 non-reference cards will be less expensive than the founders edition, also have better power management, board layout and cooling solutions.

you are probably better off waiting for a non-reference card...

also don't be fooled, so far the only card i've seen that's even remotely not reference is the asus ROG strix, and i think it just has the two power phases that aren't used on the reference boards, and some extra pins for the fancy lighting they've added... often people just add after-market coolers to reference boards...

Edited by Hadwell

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think I'll stick with my 970, it's not like anyone will buy it if I put it on eBay.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Me too - I've been unable to sell my GTX560Ti and GTX760 OC, both barely used and at silly low prices for the last few months. :(

But I'm very happy with my 970, so...

If I hadn't upgraded I would definitely have gone for a 1070.

Also - I was reading today that the AMD RX480 card is going to be very good (as good as the 1070) and much cheaper, so might be time to go red again.

Edited by Brixmis

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

Nvidia decided to release their reference cards 100$ more expensive than what the after-market cards will cost and just call them "founders edition", both the 1070 and 1080 non-reference cards will be less expensive than the founders edition, also have better power management, board layout and cooling solutions.

you are probably better off waiting for a non-reference card...

also don't be fooled, so far the only card i've seen that's even remotely not reference is the asus ROG strix, and i think it just has the two power phases that aren't used on the reference boards, and some extra pins for the fancy lighting they've added... often people just add after-market coolers to reference boards...

OK, so I'll wait for a while until the "regular" cards come out. Thanks for the advice!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel Core I7 4820K @4.3 GHz, Asus P9X79 motherboard, 16 GB RAM @ 933 MHz, NVidia GTX 1070 with 8 GB VRAM, Windows 10 Pro

Me too - I've been unable to sell my GTX560Ti and GTX760 OC, both barely used and at silly low prices for the last few months. :(

As seller you will obviously want to get as much as you want for your items, "silly price" is very subjective. but the only reason items don't sell on ebay is overinflated expectations. List in proper section, Start at 10$ and the auction will end near the real value pretty much guaranteed (minus the occasional NPB). Even the very old 4xx cards still end with quite a few bids most of the time - market... I just cleared out my stash of computer junk and was quite surprised how much some are willing to pay for old core2 and AM2 stuff.

PS:

There is no mechanical wear on vidcards so whether they were very used or barely used plays no role on resale value ,to me at least.

Anton.

My pit build thread .

Simple and cheap UFC project

PS:

There is no mechanical wear on vidcards so whether they were very used or barely used plays no role on resale value ,to me at least.

I would not say no wear. Personally I would never buy a graphics card that was used for mining for example. The GPU can definatly wear down. Usually it will take quite some time for it to break, but heavily used and overclocked cards have decreased life span.

The reason I don't buy used cards is because I can't easily see how much abuse the card had.

I don't sell on ebay, though - been burned by them twice and still have an open account (complete with 'hacker' access) that I actually closed over 8 years ago. And still getting continual emails from them and having mine ignored because my account is "closed".

Trust completely evapourated.

Less than half the new price (and not the release new price, either) is what I would call 'low'. I checked what all the others were going for and offered mine for at least £10 less than the lowest.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

Originally was going to get two 1080, but thinking Will stick with two 1070s to run 3 1440p 27" monitors. I just can't justify the price difference for the 1080 over the 1070 for the small amount of performance gain. Heck the 1070 is faster than the 980ti or titan x.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I agree with Agentdarnell, i was considering the 1080 at first but since the 1070 is just as powerful or even slightly stronger than the TitanX and stronger than the 980ti, plus i only run at 1080p (which i'm very happy with), i think the 1070 is the sweet spot for me. I'll prolly just wait for MSI or the other good brands to make their own versions cos i'm pretty sure they'll come up with a slightly stronger 1070 than the founders edition:)

PINOY PRIDE!!!

System Specs: i7-4790, Windows 7 64-Bit, ECS L337 Z87H3-A3X Mobo, HyperX Fury 32Gb, Nvidia Titan (Pascal), TM Warthog and TFRPedals, TrackIR 5

These are stock clocks.

I want to see a 1070 beat a factory overclocked 980 ti.

yeah i'd like to see how a max overclocked custom pcb/bios/power supply 1070 compares to a stock 1070 too, same with the 1080s

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I thought the new engine used the GPU more?

As compared to DCS 1.2, yes it does use the GPU more.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

• 2 weeks later...
I upgraded my 750ti to a 1070 last week and its awesome! :)

A jump in performance like that is always a lot of fun. :thumbup:

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup: