Storm of War - DCS WWII / Historical Server

philstyle

Spend some time there and like it! :thumbup:

F-15E | F-14A/B

P-51D | P-47D | Mosquito FB Mk VI |Spitfire | Fw 190D | Fw 190A | Bf 109K |  WWII Assets Pack

Normandy 2 | The Channel | Sinai | Syria | PG | NTTR | South Atlantic 

F/A-18 | F-86 | F-16C | A-10C | FC-3 | CA | SC |

Good stuff, looks really good.

How do you rotate between the missions?

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Ok, just wanted to know if it stayed on a given map for a day, of if like you describe, rotate when ever a mission ends :thumbup:.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Always good to have more Servers for the WWII part of things in DCS. Out of curiosity what difficulty are the AI set to?

Thanks Phil/SOW and good luck with the Server!

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin

Always good to have more Servers for the WWII part of things in DCS. Out of curiosity what difficulty are the AI set to?

Thanks Phil/SOW and good luck with the Server!

AI difficulty is mixed.

Section leaders tend to be "high" and "average", wing-men are mostly lower skill levels.

Every A.I. aircraft has a hand picked difficulty level, depending on its place in the formation. This includes the bombers too. The lead bomber crews should be more skillfull than the guys at the tail end of the formation, as a general rule.

But now and then there might be a surprise.

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

As feedback, I don't consider the server to be VR friendly. You've added labels, but then coloured all of them black, meaning that I'm no better off than having no labels at all.

You either include labels and have them colour coded for side, or leave VR users nearly unable to identify an aircraft until you're on top of it.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Is ping limit set on server, and if it is, what is the limit?

thx for answer

F-15E | F-14A/B

P-51D | P-47D | Mosquito FB Mk VI |Spitfire | Fw 190D | Fw 190A | Bf 109K |  WWII Assets Pack

Normandy 2 | The Channel | Sinai | Syria | PG | NTTR | South Atlantic 

F/A-18 | F-86 | F-16C | A-10C | FC-3 | CA | SC |

Hi Phil,

Will this server be on the release version or beta?

Happy landings,

Talisman

As Dietrich says, the server is up on Open Beta.

I will tend to bring it down on Mondays and Tuesdays though, given these days are quiet, and it gives me the chance to do maintenance, check missions etc..

As Dietrich says, the server is up on Open Beta.

I will tend to bring it down on Mondays and Tuesdays though, given these days are quiet, and it gives me the chance to do maintenance, check missions etc..

Thanks Phil and Dietrich. Your reputation and admirable commitment has persuaded me to download the beta version and give DCS WWII another go.

I have managed to convince one other member of our squad to join me, so I hope to be punching holes in the virtual sky on your SoW Historical server soon :)

Many thanks for all your work and providing the server.

Happy landings,

56RAF_Talisman

Bell_UH-1 side.png

Have now implemented restricted Field of View on the server for all player aircraft.

Minimum field of view has been increased from 20 to 30 degrees. A 20 degree field of view is quite extreme, and allows details of models beyond normal visual range to be discerned b y the player. Bringing this value up to 30 just takes some of the extreme end out.

Maximum field of view reduced from 120 (in spit) and 140 (in german aircraft) down to 105. This removes the "fish eye" distortion that comes in above about 110 degrees. It also means that the tail section and headrest of the aircraft is more of a realistic hinderance to pilot vision behind the aircaft.

Edited by philstyle

Have now implemented restricted Field of View on the server for all player aircraft.

Minimum field of view has been increased from 20 to 30 degrees. A 20 degree field of view is quite extreme, and allows details of models beyond normal visual range to be discerned b y the player. Bringing this value up to 30 just takes some of the extreme end out.

Maximum field of view reduced from 120 (in spit) and 140 (in german aircraft) down to 105. This removes the "fish eye" distortion that comes in above about 110 degrees. It also means that the tail section and headrest of the aircraft is more of a realistic hinderance to pilot vision behind the aircaft.

tested what impact this has on vr headsets?

btw, hope you get rid of the AI at some point, up until then i will probably stay out of that server, which is a pity, as the missions sound interesting, and the ping is also very good for me.

tested what impact this has on vr headsets?

Campbell has flown with VR on the server, he's the guy to ask.

btw, hope you get rid of the AI at some point, up until then i will probably stay out of that server, which is a pity, as the missions sound interesting, and the ping is also very good for me.

There will always be AI on SoW servers. For many reasons. It's a deliberate design choice which, if it alienates some players then that's a small price in our opinion. We're not chasing player numbers, our goal is an immersive environment that isn't essentially an empty death-match area.

1. A big part of the mission design is to enable people to play it as though it were single player, but to also engage in PvP. Having AI means that even when the server is empty, someone can log on and still have to think/ worry about getting bounced in the combat area. A combat patrol when no other players are about still runs the risk of bumping into the airborne enemy.

2. The AI in SoW are used sparingly, and with intent. They're not just random flights which re-spawn all the time and auto generate, rather they are tasked with doing things that are sensible within the mission context. They will take off and land. They will fly cross-map flight paths, rather than just circling around in some kind of artificial "PvE-area" int he sky. They will attack meaningful/ sensible targets. Sometimes they will not be there, other times they will.

3. Large formations (iconic for WW2 daytime air fighting) - especially bomber formations cannot be achieved in DCS WW2 without AI.

4. Whilst their combat behavior is ropey, we're not going to remove all the AI. this would just require us to have to build all our missions up again once the developer fixes their combat routines. This would be too much wasted effort. So, we build the missions now in anticipation of better AI routines from the platform in the future.

5. In a few few limited cases, people can spawn with an AI wingman. This is a deliberate mission feature designed to encourage people who wouldn't normally play online to give it a try. This also ties into reason 1.

6. AI ground units and ships cannot be avoided, unless people only want static ground units with no firing capability.

7. ED have stated many times that a number of the WW2 aircraft will be AI only, at least for some time, possibly forever. In order to flesh out the sky with these types we will be forced to use AI. We want to see a mosquito now and then, or a Liberator, or a JU88. So long as those frames will be Ai-only, then AI will be the only way to get them into the environment.

OK. That explains why.

If people don't like it, fortunately there are other servers to play on. My opinion is that the AI, despite the bugs, still adds a lot.

Edited by philstyle

Campbell has flown with VR on the server, he's the guy to ask.

There will always be AI on SoW servers. For many reasons. It's a deliberate design choice which, if it alienates some players then that's a small price in our opinion. We're not chasing player numbers, our goal is an immersive environment that isn't essentially an empty death-match area.

1. A big part of the mission design is to enable people to play it as though it were single player, but to also engage in PvP. Having AI means that even when the server is empty, someone can log on and still have to think/ worry about getting bounced in the combat area. A combat patrol when no other players are about still runs the risk of bumping into the airborne enemy.

2. The AI in SoW are used sparingly, and with intent. They're not just random flights which re-spawn all the time and auto generate, rather they are tasked with doing things that are sensible within the mission context. They will take off and land. They will fly cross-map flight paths, rather than just circling around in some kind of artificial "PvE-area" int he sky. They will attack meaningful/ sensible targets. Sometimes they will not be there, other times they will.

3. Large formations (iconic for WW2 daytime air fighting) - especially bomber formations cannot be achieved in DCS WW2 without AI.

4. Whilst their combat behavior is ropey, we're not going to remove all the AI. this would just require us to have to build all our missions up again once the developer fixes their combat routines. This would be too much wasted effort. So, we build the missions now in anticipation of better AI routines from the platform in the future.

5. In a few few limited cases, people can spawn with an AI wingman. This is a deliberate mission feature designed to encourage people who wouldn't normally play online to give it a try. This also ties into reason 1.

6. AI ground units and ships cannot be avoided, unless people only want static ground units with no firing capability.

7. ED have stated many times that a number of the WW2 aircraft will be AI only, at least for some time, possibly forever. In order to flesh out the sky with these types we will be forced to use AI. We want to see a mosquito now and then, or a Liberator, or a JU88. So long as those frames will be Ai-only, then AI will be the only way to get them into the environment.

OK. That explains why.

If people don't like it, fortunately there are other servers to play on. My opinion is that the AI, despite the bugs, still adds a lot.

Totally agree, there are plenty of servers online for "FPS simmer" or even others arena game... To be consistent, immersive and a bit realistic WWII skies and land must be populated... So AI are a "must to have".

Inviato dal mio BLA-L09 utilizzando Tapatalk