cosmos?

SkipCarey

• ED Team

Considering it.

Mechanical IPD adjustment for a start

Edited by BIGNEWY

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Unfortunately, for me it's out of consideration since you can get a Reverb with higher resolution at same price. If Cosmos had Reverb resolution it would be the best headset on the market by far! (2160x2160 vs. 1440 x 1700)

But it's a step in the right direction in terms of how it has inside out tracking as well as supports external sensors if desired. I was hoping more units would have this option - those that want that better tracking vs. guys like me that just use it for simulators and don't need external sensors.

I'd probably get a Cosmos over an Index - would like though to see someone review it with DCS in mind.

Im disappointed with the potential of the cosmos as compared to the vive pro which I use currently. I am not satisfied with the vive pro in that it isnt clear enough and I was really looking forward to a step forward. The resolution is practically the same and the reviews I have read so far say the image is basically the same between the two.

When they talk about the specs they compare it to the original vive, whats the point of that, we need to know how it compares to the vive pro to justify an upgrade.

I had the original vive that was so blurry it was a disgrace that it could be sold as a complete product imo. The vive pro was an acceptable upgrade and should have been the original standard.

Was really looking forward to the possibility of a 30-50% improvement over the pro with the cosmos which would make the vr experience almost perfect imo.

i9-9900KS, 32GB DDR4, RTX2080Ti, 55" QLED, HP Reverb

They are a little late in the game, imo. By now most enthusiasts have already bought into Index, Rift S, Reverb. Then there is HTC pricing which is kind of high especially when it comes to accessories such as wireless module, external sensor module, etc.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

• ED Team

I have been holding off for a while, I want a mechanical IPD adjustment, and this seems like a good option.

Or is there a better option out there for IPD adjustment?

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I have been holding off for a while, I want a mechanical IPD adjustment, and this seems like a good option.

This headset seems like it can do everything; wireless VR, inside out tracking, outside in tracking, etc. You just have to pay more for add-ons. No idea about ergonomics though.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

@BIGNEWY i would suggest to take a look at samsung odyssey plus, with VR cover mod and the strap mod it's comfortable and also has pretty good OLED panels and a good image and colors.

It does have mechanical IPD adjustment and it's cheap for what it offers and i don't agree with most of the cons written about it on the internet, i own it since its release and i'm very happy with it coming from an oculus CV1.

Back on topic, i'm looking forward to cosmos reviews even if i don't expect an SDE free headset, if things are driven by the same politics behind vive pro, i'm afraid, personally i will feel disappointed.

By the way we don't have any info about it at the moment, just some technical specs which are not so important considering all of the variables behind that kind of hardware (XTAL docit).

I'm waiting for the reviews and hands on tests.

What basically we need for a combat flight sim such as DCS, it's an hardware with the less SDE possible and the best clarity, for spotting stuff in the distance.

let's see what future will tell.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I7 8700K @ 4.9 ghz, SSD 850 evo, MSI Z370 Gaming Pro, GTX 1080Ti, F/A-18C in the garage, F-16C in the backyard, F-14B in the garden

I went with the Index as my IPD is 58 and needed mechanical adjustment. Couldn't be happier. As stated above the Index has better resolution and is VERY well made and thought out.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

Acer Ojo, in theory will be a Reverb with mechanical IPD, and maybe better lenses.

https://www.roadtovr.com/acer-conceptd-ojo-headset-announcement/

It might be released in two more weeks ;)

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Ojo

Hi.

The Ojo, that was released (in Malaysia) was the smaller-spec Ojo 500 (2x 1440x1440). As of now, Ojo 500 is also available in the german Acer-store. That was not the case 2 weeks ago. So maybe they released it by now. With one year delay.....

The announced Ojo ConceptD will not be released in Germany, at least for the near future. That dont mean, that it will not come out elsewhere.

Because of is IPD-adjustment, I was waiting for the Ojo ConceptD.

Cosmos (even with lower resolution) also is interesting for me for its IPD-adjustment. But from one hand-on-review Ive seen, the sweet-spot should be also rather small.

I guess we will have to wait for some real reviews to come out...

• ED Team
Acer Ojo, in theory will be a Reverb with mechanical IPD, and maybe better lenses.

https://www.roadtovr.com/acer-conceptd-ojo-headset-announcement/

It might be released in two more weeks ;)

Thanks we keep an eye on that

Newy,

Just my 2 cents on the market and upcoming market.

Current market I look at it like this.

Seated VR for DCS/flight sims: Reverb is the obvious choice due to its superior resolution and for sims you aren't using the crappy WMR hand controllers. Unless you have stewy griffen IPD issues.

General standing VR: Index is better due to better controllers and its res is good enough. Big plus is the controllers and IPD adjustment.

Unreleased:

Cosmos: Probably will be comparable to the index image wise, and inferior on FOV and "flatness". Controlers seem to have issues and just plain look weird. Honestly I'm pretty disappointed with it given all the hype.

Acer-Ojo-D: On paper it looks to be a Reverb with adjustable IPD, and maybe better controllers? But apparently might be vapor-ware.

Next year?

Probably something from Samsung (Odyssey 2?) given their off-year release cylcle. Pure speculation but I wouldn't be surprised if its either a 2160 class OLED headset, with either their a pentile pattern and anti-sde tech (won't be as good as LCD screens) OR a 2160 class OLED with a RGB pixel pattern (which would be amazing). As stupid good quality OLED displays are their main strength. Hopefully they will spend a bit more time on comfort and form factor.

The upstart that might be super/ultra/mega cool is the new Vality headset. Possibly super high res 46PPD (current prototype is 36ppd) for reference the Reverb is generally considered to be in the low to mid 20's depending on who does the math, so a substantial improvement in clarity is possible by using microdisplays and better optics, but at the expense of FOV which will only be 85 degrees (might be ok for flight sims, I think the current ~100 degree is ok if not great, but loosing 15 degrees isn't a step in the right direction). But they are targeting Q1 2021 for a release so its a ways off. Depending on how it all shakes out it could be the "next" big jump in terms of res, just like going from Gen1/1.5 OLED to Gen2 LCD that the reverb has been. Its also a fraction of the size and weight of current headsets.

Down the road I think 2-3k class displays, and 25-35ppd (maybe higher with optical trickery) performance will become the new gold standard for a few years, with minor improvements on the physical display and more innovation more on the optics/interface side.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

• ED Team
Newy,

Just my 2 cents on the market and upcoming market.

Current market I look at it like this.

Seated VR for DCS/flight sims: Reverb is the obvious choice due to its superior resolution and for sims you aren't using the crappy WMR hand controllers. Unless you have stewy griffen IPD issues.

General standing VR: Index is better due to better controllers and its res is good enough. Big plus is the controllers and IPD adjustment.

Unreleased:

Cosmos: Probably will be comparable to the index image wise, and inferior on FOV and "flatness". Controlers seem to have issues and just plain look weird. Honestly I'm pretty disappointed with it given all the hype.

Acer-Ojo-D: On paper it looks to be a Reverb with adjustable IPD, and maybe better controllers? But apparently might be vapor-ware.

Next year?

Probably something from Samsung (Odyssey 2?) given their off-year release cylcle. Pure speculation but I wouldn't be surprised if its either a 2160 class OLED headset, with either their a pentile pattern and anti-sde tech (won't be as good as LCD screens) OR a 2160 class OLED with a RGB pixel pattern (which would be amazing). As stupid good quality OLED displays are their main strength. Hopefully they will spend a bit more time on comfort and form factor.

The upstart that might be super/ultra/mega cool is the new Vality headset. Possibly super high res 46PPD (current prototype is 36ppd) for reference the Reverb is generally considered to be in the low to mid 20's depending on who does the math, so a substantial improvement in clarity is possible by using microdisplays and better optics, but at the expense of FOV which will only be 85 degrees (might be ok for flight sims, I think the current ~100 degree is ok if not great, but loosing 15 degrees isn't a step in the right direction). But they are targeting Q1 2021 for a release so its a ways off. Depending on how it all shakes out it could be the "next" big jump in terms of res, just like going from Gen1/1.5 OLED to Gen2 LCD that the reverb has been. Its also a fraction of the size and weight of current headsets.

Down the road I think 2-3k class displays, and 25-35ppd (maybe higher with optical trickery) performance will become the new gold standard for a few years, with minor improvements on the physical display and more innovation more on the optics/interface side.

Yeah I really want mechanical IPD adjustment, large IPD here and wonky face and a broken nose :)

There's also Xtal consumer edition in the works at VRgineers head quarter

No, that isn't a thing for the foreseeable future anymore. Afaik this has been canceled and they are focusing on the B2B/Pro market for now.

I think the whole WMR ecosystem will have to be overhauled at some point as the tracking simply can't compete with anything at this point, so once Microsoft updates the standards for WMR, some manufacturers might hold off on making new WMR headsets, I suspect this is the reason behind the quiet delay of the ConceptD OJO.

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.