Cheat to skip INS align ?.

KillEmAll88

*I want to cold start the Viper like normal* but just skip or speed up the INS alignment to a, /6 ,

If I use STOR HDG that's a little quicker but seems to give me at best a /10 alignment and in flight align can be just as bad as waiting for it on the ramp.

It was fine waiting for it the first few 100 cold starts but after some time I began to start the aircraft and go make some food or refill my drink haha.

If you do a stored align, switch to nav, then back to norm, you can get down to / 6 (much, much quicker)

Edited by Majik

Win10 Pro | i7-9700K @5.0GHz | 2080 Super @2160MHz | 32GB DDR4 3600 | DCS on 1TB M.2 NVME | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswinds V2 | HP Reverb | Huion 640P | Jetpad FSE | PointCTRL

You could always use the "ctrl-z" touch of God :music_whistling:

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

If you do a stored align, switch to nav, then back to norm, you can get down to / 6 (much, much quicker)

Well if DCS is doing that then that is a bug in how DCS is handling the INS system in the F-16. Status 6 is only seen for regular gyrocompass alignments to status 10, Nav mode, then moving to adjust heading by at least 70 degrees then going back into normal alignment for another four minutes. That is called an enhanced interrupted alignment. That won't work from a stored heading alignment IRL.

What you are describing isn't even the proper way to do a basic interrupted alignment in the F-16 since if you started with a stored heading alignment you would go from nav back to stored heading to finish that alignment then back to Nav.

Just sounds like the ED guys didn't plan/code for someone to attempt it that way.

Edited by Stubbies2003

Well if DCS is doing that then that is a bug in how DCS is handling the INS system in the F-16.

Absolutely agree. It's a work around I discovered by accident, but a useful one sometimes :smilewink:

Wish we had the newer EGI

Win10 Pro | i7-9700K @5.0GHz | 2080 Super @2160MHz | 32GB DDR4 3600 | DCS on 1TB M.2 NVME | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswinds V2 | HP Reverb | Huion 640P | Jetpad FSE | PointCTRL

No. Status 60 is far from perfect.

Ah fair enough, I did a status 60 align and flew around for ~40min without GPS and had just under 2nm of drift. I think last time I tried that it was perfect still.

I'd be curious to see if status 60 is noticeable in quality with GPS enabled.

I don't know if it's modeled but a stored heading align status 10 is not as high quality in all aspects as a normal align status 10. Velocities are more accurate in the latter.

Ah fair enough, I did a status 60 align and flew around for ~40min without GPS and had just under 2nm of drift. I think last time I tried that it was perfect still.

I'd be curious to see if status 60 is noticeable in quality with GPS enabled.

I don't know if it's modeled but a stored heading align status 10 is not as high quality in all aspects as a normal align status 10. Velocities are more accurate in the latter.

Yeah I think just like with Nealius' post above yours that is showing you a DCS limitation and isn't indicative of real life performance.

No need to guess how the real pilots start the Viper. Just watch Mover start the DCS Viper.

Not guessing at all here. I worked on F-16 from block 25 to 42 in the USAF. INS and GPS were two of the systems that I worked on and I've done many a normal gyrocompass alignment.

The only part that could trip me up would be EGI differences between the SINS or RLG INUs. Never worked EGI. Only SINS and RLG.

At this point I'm not so sure that INS drift is accurately modeled on any DCS aircraft except the Viggen, and maybe the Tomcat and Jeff.

Yeah with what Frederf explained above this is true. INS aligned via stored heading and no GPS to try and keep it in check will drift more than what he saw.

Oh a stored heading to status 10 will drift even more than my ~3nm/hr figure? Yikes. It's hard to believe that normal align 60 would be superior to a stored align 10.

Because it isn't superior. A normal to status 60 is barely enough to give you the basics and will drift. You take the normal down to a 10 for a good standard alignment and if you want to be really tight for the first hour you perform a EIA which will give you status 6. Only from a normal alignment though. Stored Heading is normally only used when getting off the ground as quick as possible is preferable to the extra drift you will see over a normal.

Not guessing at all here. I worked on F-16 from block 25 to 42 in the USAF. INS and GPS were two of the systems that I worked on and I've done many a normal gyrocompass alignment.

The only part that could trip me up would be EGI differences between the SINS or RLG INUs. Never worked EGI. Only SINS and RLG.

I wasn't pointing my post at you but talking in general. We're simulating what real pilots do and copying them is valid.

Buzz