Dogfight Mode, select AIM-120

Kayos

When in Dogfight Mode can can switch to MSL to use the AIM-120.

In Wags video it says to move the Dogfight switch forward.

I don't have a 3 way switch so I want to map that but can't figure out what to map.

Which bind so I have to map to switch to the AIM-120 while in Dogfight mode?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The three way switch is: dogfight override, missile override, cancel override. So if you’re in dogfight mode, you can switch to missile override mode to get a amraams quickly.

You can also hold the missile step button to switch weapons in any mode.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

Actually you do not need a 3 way switch.

You can bind a key to DGFT override, and another key to MSL override.

For example, if you press the key for DFGT override, it will switch to that mode, and if you press it again, it will go back to normal mode (NAV, AA, AG, whatever mode you were using before pressing the button). Same for MSL override.

MSL override doesn't seem to work either. I guess I'll have to use Step. It seems to work.

If you are in AA mode, changing it to MSL override will make the hud looks almost exactly the same. Maybe you didn't notice the difference? Try to start with NAV mode.

in dogfight mode, just press and hold nws/MSL STEP, press and hold for 1 sec

This is my personal preference as well. If you're already in close, the dogfight radar modes are excellent, and you get your gun sight too.

Normally I'd be using sidewinders, but if the hostile is in a climb into the sun, it could get blinded, so I prefer a radar guided missile.

This is my personal preference as well. If you're already in close, the dogfight radar modes are excellent, and you get your gun sight too.

Normally I'd be using sidewinders, but if the hostile is in a climb into the sun, it could get blinded, so I prefer a radar guided missile.

You guys are understanding MSL override mode incorrectly. Yes, I also never use MSL override in close-range engagements, because it's NOT meant for dogfight!!! That's why there is a mode called dogfight mode!!!

MSL override is for situations like when you are doing air to ground, and suddenly a bandit pops up and engages you in BVR. You can just switch to MSL override and engage the bandit in BVR using HOTAS without having to press A-A on the UCP. Using this single switch on the throttle you can immediately start a BVR engagement.

Edited by SCPanda

And you cannot do that with dogfight mode because once you switch it on you are in ACM radar mode, which means you do not have full control of the radar. Therefore, unless you have visual of the bandit or you are lucky enough that ACM mode picks up the bandit for you, you are blind.

F-16 designers wouldn't put that HOTAS function there if it is useless.

And you cannot do that with dogfight mode because once you switch it on you are in ACM radar mode, which means you do not have full control of the radar. Therefore, unless you have visual of the bandit or you are lucky enough that ACM mode picks up the bandit for you, you are blind.

F-16 designers wouldn't put that HOTAS function there if it is useless.

Do you then have to use the radar signature to find and lock up the bandit or should there be an auto radar lock on the nearest BVR? I'm not clear on how this is supposed to work.

Yes you utilise the radar exactly the same way as if you selected A-A on the ICP.

Spotlight mode 'when implemented' will help immensely in this situation as you just press and hold TMS up then slew the radar cursors to the general area of the bandit and release and it will auto-lock the closest contact.

For close in with the 120 - you just launch in the general direction of the WVR bandit and it should go MADDOG and smoke it.....notice I said 'should'.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

One thing that I dislike about the MSL OVRD in DCS is that without the DTC functionality, the MFD pages are not populated so, other than the auto/assisted acquisition functions which are missing for the Aim-120, you also looses HSD from the R-MFD.

You could add the HSD page to MSL override and DGFT mode before takeoff. That's what I do every time.

• Like 1

Also, if the bandit is fleeing at 5nm, that is another good situation for a 120. In the other sim holding TMS-up locks up a bandit with the jhmcs, not sure how well it works in DCS, but it can be useful. Foresight and vertical scan are pretty useless right now in ACM radar.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

Do you then have to use the radar signature to find and lock up the bandit or should there be an auto radar lock on the nearest BVR? I'm not clear on how this is supposed to work.

I think of it like this: the DGFT/MSL OVRD switch sets RADAR modes rather than weapons. MSL OVRD gets you to TWS/RWS and DGFT gets you into bore/vertical scan/HUD modes. The Sidewinder is the default weapon for DGFT and the Slammer is the default for MSL OVRD. But you can change missile types with a long press of the NWS button, or change stations of a type with a short press.

• 2 weeks later...
I think of it like this: the DGFT/MSL OVRD switch sets RADAR modes rather than weapons. MSL OVRD gets you to TWS/RWS and DGFT gets you into bore/vertical scan/HUD modes. The Sidewinder is the default weapon for DGFT and the Slammer is the default for MSL OVRD. But you can change missile types with a long press of the NWS button, or change stations of a type with a short press.

Exactly this.