DCS Mi-8 is 7 years now, time for an update ?

Sarcasm is a sign of character for hostility toward others.

And by that logic it is time that Mi-8 price is increased by at least 20€ so new buyers must pay current + additional costs for new features, that is at this moment $49,99 and add to that $22,52 so let's say $73.99. Existing customers can consider paying extra 20€ for new features.

:) LOL

Perhaps it's true that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, but it is still an attempt at wit in response to posts that prompt - not hostility - but a disappointment at some people's attitudes...

Cheers.

Adding new functionality takes time and incurs costs. So like it or not, we're going to have to pay for it, or make do with the old model. It really is that simple.

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

I don't see anywhere where I mentioned that I would not pay for it. Okay, I didn't mentioned the opposite too !

I would be ready to pay a lot for it actually. Adding all those extra features you listed would be nice of course, but all the visual things ( troops in, out etc ) are invisible from the Pilot perspective anyway. I don't care paying full price or even greater for a new Mi-8, simply because it's not mandatory, people could still fly the old one but that shouldn't prevent old airframes not to see a second life, with the benefits of the technology and knowledge they have nowadays.

A thing really missing from a realistic and operational point of view is IFR all weather capability. I know early MTV2s were equipped like this one, but we would greatly make good use of VOR/ILS and RMI/DME equipments ( well, PRGM/RSBN for Russians ). Right now with NDB and Doppler, it's impossible to do a proper low-vis let down, let alone the GNS430 which is incomplete ).

Actually, the Mi-8 is the most complex helicopter module in DCS, right after the grandpa Ka-50. It's flight model, electrical and hydraulic systems, and accurately simulated SAS/AP systems are impressive in terms of complexity, it's not the Huey which is straight forward, the implementation of the two TV3 and the way they work with the regulation etc ... impressive work so far.

No need for a proper civilian conversion but improvements with external load would be welcome with the abilty to add up to 150ft long line and positionning working mirrors.

Like the Huey ( which also needs a lot of love ! ) the Mi-8 is one of the most iconic helicopter on the planet, there would certainly be incomes from a V2 and even new features like modern avionic for more versatility.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CPL(A)IR ME/SEP/MEP/SET - CPL(H)

Oh yeah, I'd be interested in Hip V3 too, for that matter. So ED could make a completely new module and price it accordingly, and also offer it discounted to V2 Hip operators.

But then, novelties sell, and everything has a novelty value when first introduced. And regardless of how you'd improve it, the Hip won't be a new addition to DCS. So I'm willing to bet ED's not going to do it.

I'm going to forward these to Toyota & see if they'll give me a free upgrade : My Corolla doesn't have the features their new models have, and I have to drive mine alongside their new ones all the time. I feel like they've just abandoned me...

Well...

we did get an updated P-51

...and updated KA-50

...and updated A-10

what's so outrageous about asking for an updated Mi-8?

You mean release version (V1)?

Nope. Mi-8MTV2, which is the subtype we have. Shouldn't have talked about a V3 specifically though, because any recent RL version would of course do.

Hi.

First of all - Jester for Mi8, because it is multicrew hip. It is allmoust inpossible to manage this one by one person.

:thumbup:

This would be fantastic. I am willing to pay for those extras. I like the idea of module expansion packs very much.

System Specs: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, RX 6900 XT, 64GB RAM // Tobsen CM Kollektiv, VPC CM3 Throttle, VPC WarBRD Rudder Pedals, VPC T-50 CM2 + WarBRD Base  VR: HP Reverb G2

Helis: UH-1H / KA-50 3 / Mi-8 / Mi-24P / SA-342 / AH-64D  Jets: F-5E / F-14A/B / F/A-18C / MC-2000 / A-10C II / AV-8B / AJS 37 / MIG-21bis  / F-16C / F-15E / F-4E (soon)  WWII: Spitfire / WWII Assets Pack

Tech.: Combined Arms / NS430 / Supercarrier   Maps:  Nevada / Persian Gulf / Normandie / Syria / South Atlantic  Waiting for:  BO-105 / OH 58D / CH-47 Chinook / G.91R / Tornado IDS / A-7E Corsair II

Nope. Mi-8MTV2, which is the subtype we have. Shouldn't have talked about a V3 specifically though, because any recent RL version would of course do.

The V letter is not a Version, it is a russian word Visotniy in english "High Altitude", MTV like Modernized Transport High altitude. bcos he have TV3-117VM and again Visotniy-High altitude, modernized.

VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip w/ VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base, VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC Ace-torq rudder, VPC SharKa-50 Collective Grip w/ K51 collective base, VPC SharKa-50 Control Panel, Oculus Quest 2 HMD

HP Pavilion Gaming 15 I5-10300H, GTX-1650 4GB, RAM 24GB
ASUS Rog Strix G17 R7 5800H, RTX-3070 8GB, 2k-165Hz, RAM 32GB 

Modules: F-4E Phantom 2, AH-64D Apache, Mi-24P Hind, Mi-8MTV2 w/Ns-430 Navigation Unit, Ka-50 Black Shark 3, F-15E Strike Eagle, Mirage F1, F-16C Viper, F/A-18C Hornet w/ SuperCarrier, F-14 A/B Tomcat, JF-17 Thunder, A-10C-2, P-51D, BF-109K-4, Uh-1 Huey, AJS-37 Viggen, M-2000C Mirage, AV-8B Harrier, CASA C-101 Aviojet, Mig-15bis, Mig-21bis, FC3, CA.

Maps: Syria, Persian Gulf, NTTR, Caucasus, South Atlantic, Sinai, Normandy 2.0.

I bought the Mi8-MTV2 in early access along with the huey, never realised it was 7 years since release but I figure I have got my moneys worth several times over with both modules.

New models, glass cockpits where applicable and multicrew, I would pay for that again :)

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well...

we did get an updated P-51

...and updated KA-50

...and updated A-10

what's so outrageous about asking for an updated Mi-8?

There is obviously nothing wrong in asking for an update. Demanding however from others do give away their work for free should never be considered as a good attitude. Even if they had been generous and had provided a free content in the past.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

I wish to pay for that ! Any work should be rewarded, especially the extremely high quality our devs are producing.

Let's give the Magnificient Eight a new life and more versatility ! :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CPL(A)IR ME/SEP/MEP/SET - CPL(H)

There is obviously nothing wrong in asking for an update. Demanding however from others do give away their work for free should never be considered as a good attitude. Even if they had been generous and had provided a free content in the past.

So i guess you didn't pay when ED updated aim-120? Or when DCS got updated from 1.5 to 2.0/2.5? Ooof, shame on you, communist, shame on you!

So i guess

So you do. What you don't seem to grasp, however, is that it's actually ED's prerogative to charge us for new content if they so choose.

I agree.

100%

I didn't notice anyone demanding it though.

If they decide to give us a free GFX update like with previous models I'd be very happy.

If they decide to upgrade the Mi-8 to the modern standards and charge money for it - I'd be happy too. And I'll gladly pay.

what's supposed to be free

So what's supposed to be free? Touching up old content? Perhaps, ED's time and overall situation permitting. Any new content and / or functionality? Certainly not. There's lots of work and expenditure involved and I'm afraid we'll just have to pay for that.

Although I am not a stranger to pay for upgrades, like the upcoming KA-50

I can't deny that paid visual upgrades is HIGHLY ILLOGICAL.

I mean think about it for a minute.

I use to take the Paywalled upgrade of the Admiral K as a prime example.

The videogame-industry is constantly evolving.

Games that we thought looked AMAZING 2011 will look terrible 2021!

So if DCS is going to stay around in the next decade - of course they are going to have to upgrade the visuals.

With other simulators coming to the market soon, DCS will be left in the dust and look like shit - compared to the others - in five years or less.

So the question is.

How long can they keep the Admiral K behind that paywall?

If we boot ut DCS World in 2025 and if I would not have bought the SC > will they keep that old relic of the Kuznetsov around? in 10 years? 15?

Following the logic of constantly evolving graphics fidelity, it is clear that they can not keep graphic overhauls behind a paywall.

The modules has to carry them selves and they need to focus on getting new customers to buy the "old" modules - by making them look modern and appealing.

Sucking every penny from the ones who already payed seemes to be a short term solution to save a sinking ship.

Which we will have to hope that this is not

Edited by Grodlund

"Your pumping days are over, Megatron!" -Optimus Prime

"This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence" -Vyvian