Aim-120/radar and steering dot not working properly

Baikingu

So I have done som testing.

1. First of all when engaging bandit in TWS-mode the missile gets no mid-course guidence after launch. The missile turns at the target but then just flyes stright until pitbull. This ofc. results in the missile having to do a max G turn to intercept as it is way of course 90% of the time. Thus using just about all its energy. I'm able to get mid-course guidence in LTWS-mode. But I am under the the impression that it should also get guidence in TWS.

2. The steering dot is not correctly showing the proper lead for a good launch.

See the video from a real mig-21 kill around the 2:30 min. mark (

). You can clearly see the steering dot is way outside the Target-box. In my testing the steering dot stays just about in the center of the target-box. Resulting in the missile has to do a strong correction turn of the rail at launch to get a proper intercept course. Thus again bleeding unnecessary energy.

And yes I center the dot and have a shoot cue.

3. Thirdly the aim-120 never seems to loft any more.

Should it not loft automatically at close to r-max shots?

On the steering dot issue i found that if I pull lead on the target. Which ofc puts the steering dot outside the allowable steering error circle (thus no shoot cue) but stil shoot. I get a much better missile launch (going almost stright of the rail). In the tracks you can se I'm leading the target by 13 to as much as 28 deg to get the proper launch.

Hope this is not to hard to fix as it really cuts the aim-120 range almost in half.

Oh and I did search in the forum(bug) but did not finde any adressing these issues.

Thanks

steering dot 120c 13 deg lead 21nm ltws.trk

steering dot 120c 13 deg lead 21nm tws.trk

steering dot 120c 24 deg lead 11nm.trk

Just FYI, what the steering dot is doing/showing you may actually change with range, which software version or which radar you're on, etc.

Yes i know. It would seem logical that at 11nm the dot would be leading the target more than just 1-2 deg when the target is moving mach .9 beaming.

So i had to my self lead the target as much as 23 deg to get a stright of the rail launch

Im on 2.5.6 open beta. And in LTWS since TWS dosent provide missile mid-course guidence

Edited by Baikingu

Just FYI, what the steering dot is doing/showing you may actually change with range, which software version or which radar you're on, etc.

And that would be one of the most stupidest things to leave unfixed in any software version to any fighter, where the FCS is calculating completely wrong lead for the dynamic launch zone and for the missile.

Like why to even have a FCS when pilot needs to just take guesses at what direction and how much and when to launch the missile if the FCS can't give any accurate information based target and launcher conditions in that exact moment.

Right now so many is wasting the BVR missiles energy when missiles needs to perform high angle turns after launch, instead starting with most optimal intercept course toward target current state.

Any test pilot would in first briefing after test launches inform the designers that the FCS guides missile to high G turn right after launch when all parameters for it was set to optimal as FCS informed.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

And that would be one of the most stupidest things to leave unfixed in any software version to any fighter, where the FCS is calculating completely wrong lead for the dynamic launch zone and for the missile.

Like why to even have a FCS when pilot needs to just take guesses at what direction and how much and when to launch the missile if the FCS can't give any accurate information based target and launcher conditions in that exact moment.

Right now so many is wasting the BVR missiles energy when missiles needs to perform high angle turns after launch, instead starting with most optimal intercept course toward target current state.

Any test pilot would in first briefing after test launches inform the designers that the FCS guides missile to high G turn right after launch when all parameters for it was set to optimal as FCS informed.

Agree.

I remember flying the F-15C years back and at ranges close to r-max the steering dot would lead above the target to get a good loft shot.

It goes even further down the rabbit hole...

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=261018

I've taken a look a t it in that thread

Yeah it seems weird right.

Here is screenshots from tacview from my testing for both mid-course guidence and steering dot lead calc.

Note: in all 3 tests I lead the target much more than the steering dot suggests

1.The first one is me fireing at about 21nm in TWS. I lead the target about 14 deg. at launch (Steering dot shows just 2-3 deg. lead). You see the missile taking a pure pursuit of the rail (wich it should'nt) the fly stright intil pitbull and then pull 19.7 G turn to get proper intercept course. It misses ofc. You can see its only at mach 0.56 (way slow) as it misses.

2. The second one I launch in LTWS 21nm out. Leading the target 13 deg. at launch. (steering dot showing again just 2-3 deg lead). But now the missile at least goes semi-straight of the rail and gets mid-course guidence.

Hits the target at mach 1.37. A significant diffirence I would say.

3. On the third one I launch in LTWS 5.5nm out. Now having to lead the target about 23 deg. at launch (again the steering dot only showed 4-5 deg lead).

So clearly something is not quite right at the moment with radarTWS/aim-120 and lead calculation modeling.

I have also noticed that the aim-120 never lofts anymore.

1400759291_Screenshot(3).thumb.png.2df02c2fc56343c55cfa2a5be5fc6f38.png

254962773_Screenshot(4).thumb.png.84bdaa9709b0c6a60a3d511295433241.png

1337436317_Screenshot(5).thumb.png.aa5588e9a036f2f317a668f9e3d79ff8.png