Radar help

CBenson89

Good Day All,

I have just recently started flying with a buddy as a crew. I am the RIO and sometimes it seems like my radar is working and some times it doesnt. I will have the radar set to attack and transmit and I’ll swap around between different modes and it seems like sometimes I can find people on the radar and sometimes I can’t. Does alignment have anything to do with the radar working or not working? I have done full alignments on the carrier and shore with and without the stored heading information. I just flew the cold start mission on vegas and was trying to pick up the few friendly aircraft flying around just to practice radar operation with no success. Are there any pointers that you guys have, is there something simple that you can forget to do that renders the radar useless? Any help would be super appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Often i'll forget to move the WCS from standby to on :doh:

There could also be the radar elevation being wrong. I like to put the target at the top of the TID display in attack mode, and then adjust elevation as needed. Makes it rather easy, as the numbers on the left actually (somewhat) match target's position.

Lastly, they could be notching you, which is a whole nother can of worms, but i reccomend looking into it

Modules:

F-14, F-15C, F-16C, F/A-18C, M-2000C, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B N/A, MiG-29, Su-33, MiG-21 Bis, F-5E, P-51D, Ka-50, Mi-8, Sa 342, UH-1H, Combined Arms

Maps and others:

Persian Gulf, Syria, Normandy, WWII Assets, NS 430 + Mi-8 NS 430

There are lots of reasons why you can't pick up contacts, ranging from obvious user erros (forgetting to move the WCS switch from standby to on), all the way to things like wrong elevation setting and notching contacts. It takes a while to figure put how to deal with different situations and what mode works best at a given situation.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

First, make sure your curent radar scan pattern (az, el, bars and width) is actually able to find the contacts. It gets very challenging as the cone volume is getting very small up close.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

get learnt on the MLC (main lobe clutter)

and more so, how to switch it off to find those targets with low closure.

also turn the knobs around the DDD up to max, dont remember names, just crank them all up except "Erase"

there are 3 including Erase knob.

this is help targets to show much better on DDD while in pulse search, even out to 80-90nm!

Love reading threads like this.

Using RADAR is a skill. Using it well is a talent.

I am (probably better to say was) a SME on the CH-124 Weather RADAR, and have worked on other RADAR systems as well.

F-14B, A-10C,F-18C Lot 20, F-16C, UH-1H, SA342, Spitfire LF Mk IX, F-15C, Mig-29, Supercarrier, Nevada, Persian Gulf

i9 9900k 5.0GHz, 32GB RAM, 1080Ti, Rift S, Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind pedals, Dual Monitors 4K & 1080

Every Day, Someone Uses Cute Krispy Snacks

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Often i'll forget to move the WCS from standby to on :doh:

There could also be the radar elevation being wrong. I like to put the target at the top of the TID display in attack mode, and then adjust elevation as needed. Makes it rather easy, as the numbers on the left actually (somewhat) match target's position.

Lastly, they could be notching you, which is a whole nother can of worms, but i reccomend looking into it

Radar elevation for me most of the time I just leave centered and I move it up and down as needed. Are friendly forces always detectable on the radar or are NPCs sometimes not detectable?

Radar elevation for me most of the time I just leave centered and I move it up and down as needed. Are friendly forces always detectable on the radar or are NPCs sometimes not detectable?

Every aircraft is detectable and you don't know who is who unless IFF, data-linked or visually ID'd.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria