Wake turbulence for like-sized aircraft seems wrong

andremsmv

I've noticed that any wake turbulence created by a WWII fighter will completely throw another WWII fighter off its flight path. It is completely normal for wake turbulence from WWII fighters to flip another plane over or offset its heading by as much as 30 degrees. Because of this, it is extremely difficult to aim at somebody while directly following their flight path. Even more prevalent is the fact that it is nearly impossible for WWII planes to land behind one another in sequence the way you see so many do at airshows. I realize how dangerous wake turbulence can be, but keep in mind these are similar-sized airplanes I'm talking about. A P-51 should not be flipped over by another P-51's wake turbulence the way a 737's wake would. As far as real life experience, I have personally never had a dangerous situation with wake turbulence but I can confirm that from countless times of hitting my own wake turbulence while practicing maneuvers; the most wake turbulence coming from your aircraft does is jolt you a little bit. You can certainly feel it in your seat but by no means does it change your heading or your bank angle.

On that note, I noticed it's impossible to run into your own wake turbulence in DCS. No matter how perfectly I perform steep turns, I cannot feel my own wake turbulence, only that of other planes.

Now, being a pilot and not an engineer, I'm not super proficient in fluid dynamics so I would love to see someone who really knows what they are talking about explain exactly what is going on, but DCS WWII pilots have been dealing with this since the release of wake turbulence and it has not gotten any better.

I do agree, HB's own wake model is no where near as intenese as the one for the rest of the DCS aircraft. Yes if you get stuck in it it'll cause you to drop a wing quite badly but it won't shake your aircraft to bits like it does on the 16 right now.

I have felt my own wake turbulence in the game so I know you can run into your own. I was running some sustained rate tests on jets. Some of them such as the 15, 14, and 18 have such high rates at certain speed points that I ran into my own wake. It actually screwed up my tests a bit and I had to stop turning and just fly level for a bit. I eventually had to turn it off for my tests.

• ED Team

wake turbulence has some issues at the moment the team are working on.

Hopefully once tuned it will improve things.

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2