Install user missions?

sumerion

Hi all :helpsmilie:

How do I install the missions from DCS main page "user files"?

When I download and extract there is a "mission" file, a "options" file and sometimes some soundfiles.

What should I do with these files?

I thought the missionfiles where named *.miz so a little help would be good.

Have a nice day

/Sumerion

ASUS P7P55D - i5@3.8 - 8GB RAM - ATI6950 2GB - Logitech G940 - TIR 5

There have been issues with some browsers turning .miz files into .zip files.

If you go to unpack it and you see the mission, options and possibly other files. DO NOT unpack it. Rename it from .zip to .miz.

Some users have reported corruption issues when renaming but I have not had that problem.

As for where to place it. I would put it in your Saved Games missions folder.

C:\Users\<yourname>\Saved Games\DCS Warthog\Missions

Then when you go to the missions screen it will be listed under My Missions.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Specifically Internet Exploder. Yes, I have... feelings... about that browser. :P

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

• 7 years later...

If you go to unpack it and you see the mission, options and possibly other files. DO NOT unpack it. Rename it from .zip to .miz.

Some users have reported corruption issues when renaming but I have not had that problem.

As for where to place it. I would put it in your Saved Games missions folder.

C:\Users\<yourname>\Saved Games\DCS Warthog\Missions

Then when you go to the missions screen it will be listed under My Missions.

If you download 50 of these files, 5% of them might have a description for where to place the mission files. There are new people discovering DCS, and mission files all the time. How does anyone assume that everyone knows where the mods and mission files belong. How hard is it to include in the zip file for these missions, the file path to where to place the files. Is that too much to ask? Is this Lazy or what?

• Like 1

If you download 50 of these files, 5% of them might have a description for where to place the mission files. There are new people discovering DCS, and mission files all the time. How does anyone assume that everyone knows where the mods and mission files belong. How hard is it to include in the zip file for these missions, the file path to where to place the files. Is that too much to ask? Is this Lazy or what?

Lazy? .. after spending hours crafting and testing a new mission that they are going to share away for free? How can you dare to be so disrespectful? ... shame on you, I will add your nick to my ignore list, as I wish never to see your posts again.

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

How hard is it to include in the zip file for these missions, the file path to where to place the files. Is that too much to ask? Is this Lazy or what?

Google is a wonderful thing. Or even a simple search within the ED forums turns up very simple instructions on where to place downloaded user mission files, or campaign files. It could be considered lazy to not simply use a tool that is available to any member, within the ED forums, and not considered too much to ask.

http://www.google.com

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

• 1 month later...
Lazy? .. after spending hours crafting and testing a new mission that they are going to share away for free? How can you dare to be so disrespectful? ... shame on you, I will add your nick to my ignore list, as I wish never to see your posts again.

Simple point. If developers want as many users as possible to use their product, it only makes since to tell users how to use the product for which you have worked so hard to create. Is to too much to ask for a simple one line text file. Not everyone knows what you know about using user files. I've managed developers for years. There is no excuse for not including proper documentation. In this case, a small text file is not too much to ask, or expect.

• Like 1

Google is a wonderful thing. Or even a simple search within the ED forums turns up very simple instructions on where to place downloaded user mission files, or campaign files. It could be considered lazy to not simply use a tool that is available to any member, within the ED forums, and not considered too much to ask.

http://www.google.com

Cheers,

Don

I hear what you are saying. I am making this point for all those new to DCS. Those who are not as experienced as you are. Let's not forget just how little effort it would take to write the path for where these files should be copied to, and how easy it is to copy and paste that text into an instruction, and include in the zip. Consider how helpful that small effort would be to that new user. User appreciation... Maybe it's become weird concept?

Lazy? .. after spending hours crafting and testing a new mission that they are going to share away for free?

As someone who spends far more than a mere “hours” crafting and testing new missions, I really would say… yes. Lazy is a pretty good word for it.

Given all that time, skipping a step that takes all of 3 seconds is either that or just disrespectful to the supposed audience for all that effort. You're doing it for others to enjoy, not to stroke your own ego, so enabling that enjoyment by including a simple file that you can write once and then include every time after that is just sloppy — you've run a marathon only to trip right before the finishing line because you didn't bother to tie your shoes.

• Like 1

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

Is to too much to ask for a simple one line text file.

The path for downloaded missions is completely DCS and user dependent. The structure of DCS already has a predefined file path where any self-created and downloaded mission can be placed, and can be easily found in DCS.

And users can place these files pretty much anywhere in the file system, as long as they know how to navigate to it from within DCS (and as long as DCS can access those paths - something we can't tell without knowledge of a user's filesystem layout).

All of that is document here in the forums, can be found via web searches, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was mentioned in the DCS manual (is it too much to ask for users to read the manual? :P)

On top of that, missions are often distributed in the .miz format that DCS generates. Yes, this *is* simply a .zip file, but readme.txt and the like aren't supposed to go into a .miz. In turn, mission makers would have to zip a zip file just to be able to include a one-line installation instruction in an additional text file.

I mean, hey, everyone is free to do that, but I honestly think every DCS player will be able to find a way to solve the "what do I do with the downloaded mission" problem with just a little bit of effort.

Plus, I can practically guarantee you that 50% of those who would need these one-line instructions would still be unwilling to find, or unable to understand them and would ask around the forum anyway. :D

Edit:

You're doing it for others to enjoy, not to stroke your own ego, so enabling that enjoyment by including a simple file that you can write once and then include every time after that is just sloppy — you've run a marathon only to trip right before the finishing line because you didn't bother to tie your shoes.

Are you seriously saying a person who spends hours building a mission is lazy for not including installation instructions that the vast majority of the intended audience know by heart anyway?

I have to disagree with that notion.

Plus, see above. Installation instruction readme.txt don't go into .miz files. Wrapping .miz into a .zip doesn't make much sense, either. So where is it that such a readme file should go?

Edited by Yurgon

Are you seriously saying a person who spends hours building a mission is lazy for not including installation instructions that the vast majority of the intended audience know by heart anyway?

Yes. If you go through all that trouble only to skip a 3-second step at the end before you distribute it, then I'm seriously questioning your prioritisation and use of time. For a multiplayer mission, that kind of assumption might work since it requires a fair bit of foreknowledge to be able to set it up to begin with, and the clients don't even have to bother, but for SP missions it's such an obvious user service that it seems rather weird to skip it.

Plus, see above. Installation instruction readme.txt don't go into .miz files. Wrapping .miz into a .zip doesn't make much sense, either. So where is it that such a readme file should go?
In the zip file you distribute the miz file and supplementary material in. Given the known problem where some browsers (and some less competently set up web hosts, although that's a tangential problem) will do silly things if you ask them to handle a raw miz file, it makes a whole lot of sense to package the whole thing in a known container such as zip.

e: That said…

Plus, I can practically guarantee you that 50% of those who would need these one-line instructions would still be unwilling to find, or unable to understand them and would ask around the forum anyway. biggrin.gif
this I'm unfortunately inclined to agree with. :D
Edited by Tippis

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

• 1 year later...
7 hours ago, aairon said:

LAZY!

🙄 posting low-effort posts on old threads ... that's truly lazy.

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

On 7/26/2021 at 6:03 AM, Rudel_chw said:

🙄 posting low-effort posts on old threads ... that's truly lazy.

++Says the guy who posted a low effort post on an old thread lmao. Really? Get a life Rudel.

Edited by aairon

Flying sims since 1980

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mobo: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming

CPU: i7 6700K @ 4.7 GHz

Video: EVGA GTX 1080

Ram: Patriot DDR4 2800 8GBx2

PWR:Corsair RM750i

1 hour ago, aairon said:

Get a life Rudel.

Already have a good one .. but don't worry, I will just ignore your posts.