Auto Target Turning does not work.

Matic_Prime

Hi guys.

Iam pretty new to the KA50 BUT the auto target turning function does not work?

Iam in auto hover mode and erverything is set up the right way, but it simply does not turn to the locked target...(is area lock enough?).

I select Khivir missiles, but i have to turn the chopper manually each time which is really a PITA.

Does anybody has the same issue?

Thanks.

Works fine here. Make sure you have all autopilot channels on (lights off because inverted cockpit lighting) and also check that the auto turn to target button is also darker than the rest.

As soon as you slew the Shkval sight towards the target and press the "target lock" button, the chopper turns toward the sensors reticle.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Looking forward to it, Belsimtek!:thumbup:

Works fine here. Make sure you have all autopilot channels on (lights off because inverted cockpit lighting) and also check that the auto turn to target button is also darker than the rest.

As soon as you slew the Shkval sight towards the target and press the "target lock" button, the chopper turns toward the sensors reticle.

Okay i think I found the error: Does the KA50 to be in a perfect Hover for Auto target turn to work (0 drift and 0 speed). I think that was my mistake. I was in auto hover but still drifting a little bit.

Okay i think I found the error: Does the KA50 to be in a perfect Hover for Auto target turn to work (0 drift and 0 speed). I think that was my mistake. I was in auto hover but still drifting a little bit.

I think not? Sometimes I like to creep forward slowly at like 20kph or something and Turn to Target should still work.

Your Shvkal has to be stationary and not tracking.

Edited by canox204

X52

Auto turn on target should work regardless of speed - if you're feeling like playing, you can fly the plane by turning on Auto Turn On Target, enabling the HMS, Looking where you want to fly to and clicking the lock button - works at any speed (& would make a good template of an operating mode for the AI auto pilot for the Huey and Mi-8 :-)

Cheers.

"Turn to target", like all other AP channels have a maximum of 20% authority. So if you are in auto hover my may have the illusion the aircraft is trimmed perfectly but this can be far from the truth.

For example while in auto hover the AP might be commanding yaw/rudder trim at 15% right to keep you aligned, then using "turn to target" when locking a target to the right will only allow 5% yaw/rudder authority.

I suggest you pay more attention to trimming the aircraft for hover before going to auto hover. To show this behavior, next time you are in auto hover, un-click your yaw AP channel and you will see how "far out of trim" you are.

What do you mean with: not tracking?

I mean its not scanning left or right by itself, and that you are not moving it.

It needs to be looking at a stationary point.

Not necessarily locked on to any sort of target, you could have it pointing in the grass.

My point is your plane wont turn until you stop moving the Shkval around.

Edited by canox204

X52

I mean its not scanning left or right by itself, and that you are not moving it.

It needs to be looking at a stationary point.

Not necessarily locked on to any sort of target, you could have it pointing in the grass.

My point is your plane wont turn until you stop moving the Shkval around.

Understood thanks for clarifying.

KR

Understood thanks for clarifying.

KR

Also, I think if you are locked on to a ground target and it starts moving, your Turn to Target should still work and turn to it. Im not an expert at all tho.

How much isnt it turning, at all? Are you already pointed generally towards the target? The Vikhr missile gun sight is always slightly off, more so on the right side. (something to do with the way the laser works)

Turn to Target is for when you are scanning with the Shvkal and see a target, then you can easily with one button point your plane in that direction. After that you still need to fine tune with the rudder to aim the missile.

X52

"Turn to target", like all other AP channels have a maximum of 20% authority. So if you are in auto hover my may have the illusion the aircraft is trimmed perfectly but this can be far from the truth.

For example while in auto hover the AP might be commanding yaw/rudder trim at 15% right to keep you aligned, then using "turn to target" when locking a target to the right will only allow 5% yaw/rudder authority.

I suggest you pay more attention to trimming the aircraft for hover before going to auto hover. To show this behavior, next time you are in auto hover, un-click your yaw AP channel and you will see how "far out of trim" you are.

This! It takes a while to understand the relationship between the autopilot and the trimming, but it's very important to understand it and respect it's limits!

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Do you have Rudder Trim enabled in the special settings for Ka50?

Are you using twist grip or pedals for rudder?

If he is in hover with 0 drift, any rudder input would make the plane spin in circles.

Edited by canox204

X52

Do you have Rudder Trim enabled in the special settings for Ka50?

Are you using twist grip or pedals for rudder?

The autopilot doesnt have command of the actual rudder.

If he is in hover with 0 drift, any rudder input would make the plane spin in circles.

I use pedals. And no I have no check in the ruder trim under the special options.

I will try all tips this evening.

You should be OK then.

I made a mistake, the AP does have some command over the rudder.

Im flying a mission now and its really really windy, my Turn to Target isnt working. The whole plane isnt working lol.

Are you flying missions in heavy wind?

X52

It works now. The key is to be very sensitive on the controls. Auto target turning makes just minor adjustments?

Just cleared an entire airbase on an PvE server (where the jets failed).

KA50 is a great module!

BTW: Is it normal that you have to adjust slightly with rudder in most cases until u get the final fire solution?

It works now. The key is to be very sensitive on the controls. Auto target turning makes just minor adjustments?

Just cleared an entire airbase on an PvE server (where the jets failed).

KA50 is a great module!

BTW: Is it normal that you have to adjust slightly with rudder in most cases until u get the final fire solution?

Glad you got it figured out. Its awesome once you get the hang of everything.

With the Vikhr yes, more so if its shooting from the right side pod

X52

Yes, as user 26-J39 has explained above the AP has only 20% authority of the controls. That applies to all AP modes and hence it is very important to trim the aircraft correctly. If the AP already needs 15% of it's command authority to work against a bad trim, then it will only have 5% left for actual maneuvering:

Yes, Auto turn will point the nose on the target, but for the Vikhrs you need to point the nose slightly to the right or to the left of the target, depending on whether the missile will be fired from the left or right launcher.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

Thanks for all the tips and comments!

Finally the KA50 flies like a charm. I love the module because it is so different from all the other planes.

Firing etc goes well now. But it took me a while to understand how the option „stick to neutral after trim“ works. Caused me to crash at 270 km/h into the water because the KA did not accept inputs after trim (stick don’t was in neutral after trim).

Next steps -> learning proper navigation.

Yeah the Shark is my favorite for sure :).

Do you use VR or TiR? If so make yourself a mission with a bucketload of fuel trucks placed randomly in say a 1x1 mile area... And kill them with the HMS and gun. SUPER fun :).

Also... A2A against huey's etc is excellent with the HMS :).

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

Ive spent so much time just flying the thing around its so fun.

Fly around the airport until I run out of fuel. Practice circle strafing.

Try to keep up with this guy flying it irl hah:

I dont know why he lifts off in a spin but why not?

The cannon is the most fun. So sick

Edited by canox204

X52

Ive spent so much time just flying the thing around its so fun.

Fly around the airport until I run out of fuel. Practice circle strafing.

Try to keep up with this guy flying it irl hah:

I dont know why he lifts off in a spin but why not?

The cannon is the most fun. So sick

Awesome video, haven't seen that one before! :thumbup:

Tornado3 small.jpg